Need Advice: How to run a bench press comp??

BAS_FAN

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So since im the head trainer at my gym now, i kinda have free reign in terms of organizing personal training related gym events. The last head trainer was a complete sissy and ran events like 24 hour aerobics classes....boring!!!
I finally got the green light for organzing the 1st annual Premier Fitness Bench Press Comp. But i have a few problems. This is a commercial gym which means there are strong guys but most of them have never done their 1RM and also have no idea about form. Im also allowing women to enter so tat creates another issue since some cant even do the bar. So the few questions i have are:

1) Since i cant really ask everyone to do their 1RM, what is a good rep range to determine strenght? (even best weight for 3 reps might be tough)

2) How do i change the WILKS formula to handle JUST the bench press and not their total? (ie. how to i determine the winner?)

3) What are some essential peices of equipement i need to run a bench press comp? (just in case im forgetting anything)

I have entered a few powerlfiting events so i know how they run but as you can see, running one in a commercial gym is totally different. The event date is going to be set for January 30th so guys have a chance to train. Anyway, any advice or help you guys could give would be awesome!!!

thanks!

what the fuck? why cant you ask people to do 1 rep? i thought you were head of whatever.

are you retarded?
you cant just have people who have never lifted heavy before try and lift a weight that they have no idea they can do!
No...i think its a better idea if we put their best 3 reps into a formula.

BAS_FAN said:
are you retarded?
you cant just have people who have never lifted heavy before try and lift a weight that they have no idea they can do!
No...i think its a better idea if we put their best 3 reps into a formula.

if you are using wilks to determine the winner, you, my friend, are retarded. especially after calling the other guy a pussy for running 24 hour aerobics. "oh, 1 rep is too scary. someone might get hurt." whos never tried to max before? what is going on here?

i think you should organize some informational powerlifting classes so's that people can get a good idea of what it takes to get strong.

carped33z said:
if you are using wilks to determine the winner, you, my friend, are retarded. especially after calling the other guy a pussy for running 24 hour aerobics. "oh, 1 rep is too scary. someone might get hurt." whos never tried to max before? what is going on here?

I didnt say i rep is too scary. As far as using wilks...i am well aware of what wilks is used for. That is why im ASKING for some other formula people might know that would help decide the winner...
Whos never maxed before?? are you serious?
try 90% of the entire client base at an upscale commercial gym. Lawyers and doctors and teachers and normal people....thats who hasnt maxed before. These people dont care about figuring out how much they can lift for 1 rep. But make it into an event then they might wonder how STRONG they are compared to the rest of the members.

Remy: I am going to do exactly that. When they fill out their application form, there will be an option for them to learn more or to attend a seminar where i'll probably have my old strength coach give a lecture and a demo as to why strength training can benefit the everyday person. People see me doing floor presses and box squats and they always ask me what im doing and all of them want to learn more...thats one reason i thought this would a fun idea.

Wouldnt it make sense to gauge interest towards a pl event on attendance to a seminar about powerlifting/strengh training before organizing the event itself?

The only reason I say this is because most gym people, especially a commercial gym like you work at, train like pussy's and like it.

gruesome said:
Wouldnt it make sense to gauge interest towards a pl event on attendance to a seminar about powerlifting/strengh training before organizing the event itself?

The only reason I say this is because most gym people, especially a commercial gym like you work at, train like pussy's and like it.

yeah i know....imagine the type of people i have to train?? (minus hot chicks :icon_twis )
Anyway, i see what you're saying but through talking to alot of the regulars and guys who i trained, it seems that there would be alot of guys entering....we'll see how things go in the next few weeks.

rEmY said:
i think you should organize some informational powerlifting classes so's that people can get a good idea of what it takes to get strong.

and make sure they sign some sort of disclaimer.

Back