• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Need a New TV

The Rtings review doesn't show any HDMI cable from their "In the Box" photo.
in-the-box-large.jpg

If an HDMI cable says "Ultra High Speed" in the white print along the cable, then it is an HDMI 2.1.
Shit so we need new cables now too. Two quick questions:

1. Do we only need ultra high speed cables between a gaming device and TV, or to a home router as well?

2. Do we need cables with male-to-female or male-to-male connectors?

Shit so we need new cables now too. Two quick questions:

1. Do we only need ultra high speed cables between a gaming device and TV, or to a home router as well?

2. Do we need cables with male-to-female or male-to-male connectors?

On point 1. Only if you have a HDMI 2.1 capable device into the HDM1 2.1 port (PS5/ XSX, or if your pc has a HDMI 2.1 Gpu) also if you do want to buy new HDMI cables for 2.1 make sure they have this on them
UHD-Certificate-Label.jpg

As it means they are certified 2.1. Router cables should be fine as they are, I'm still using a few I've had for a while into a switch in my lounge for the tv and consoles

On point 1. Only if you have a HDMI 2.1 capable device into the HDM1 2.1 port (PS5/ XSX, or if your pc has a HDMI 2.1 Gpu) also if you do want to buy new HDMI cables for 2.1 make sure they have this on them
UHD-Certificate-Label.jpg

As it means they are certified 2.1. Router cables should be fine as they are, I'm still using a few I've had for a while into a switch in my lounge for the tv and consoles
Thanks. I was reading this Rtings page on the 2.1 standard and it mentions there is a new "HDMI cable power" feature that requires a one way signal with a male-to-female connection, but it sounds like it's only required for longer cables and not usually in a home LAN setup. But I'm a total noob at this stuff so I just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdmi-2-1

So I set up the new TV tonight, got everything up and running but an odd thing I discovered was that the HDMI cable that came with my PS5 no longer seems work. I tried to hooking it up instead with the cable that came with my Series X and it seems to work fine but the PS5 cable itself won’t work for my PS5 or my Series X, and it’s not a problem with my port on the TV as the working cable seems to work just fine regardless of port on the TV or which device it’s hooked up to.

This now dead cable was working just fine prior to my TV’s death as the very last time the TV was working my son was watching a show on Netflix via my PS5 using that cable.

Is there a possible connection here? Could whatever have mysteriously killed my TV also killed this particular HDMI cable? Or maybe vice versa? Oddly enough the PS5 itself seems to still be working as good as ever. I’m unsure what to make of this.

So I set up the new TV tonight, got everything up and running but an odd thing I discovered was that the HDMI cable that came with my PS5 no longer seems work. I tried to hooking it up instead with the cable that came with my Series X and it seems to work fine but the PS5 cable itself won’t work for my PS5 or my Series X, and it’s not a problem with my port on the TV as the working cable seems to work just fine regardless of port on the TV or which device it’s hooked up to.

This now dead cable was working just fine prior to my TV’s death as the very last time the TV was working my son was watching a show on Netflix via my PS5 using that cable.

Is there a possible connection here? Could whatever have mysteriously killed my TV also killed this particular HDMI cable? Or maybe vice versa? Oddly enough the PS5 itself seems to still be working as good as ever. I’m unsure what to make of this.
Doesn't seem like a coincidence. Probably something in that circuit blew.

Splurge on the Oled. You’ll just regret it later if you dont

ah, the ol' "don't replace the dead batteries in the remote and fool the boss into thinking we need a new tv trick"

<seedat>

Could whatever have mysteriously killed my TV also killed this particular HDMI cable?

good job, you even plugged in a faulty cable to really seal the deal! kudos! if you didn't already have a ps5, i'd recommend getting a new plash speed router.

Best tv I could find on somewhat of a budget was a 65 inch Samsung QLED for $800.

I'm not an expert. It was just the best I found.

Back