• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Need a New TV

Law Talkin’ Guy

The Worm
@Gold
Reaction score
So I’m not 100% sure, but it seems that my TV may have died. I have a 65” Sharp that I bought in October 2018 that as of last night seemingly won’t turn on. I’ve read articles online and watched YouTube videos on how to do “hard resets” to force it to be able to turn on, but nothing seems to work. It just will not turn on.

So it’s looking like I’m in the market for a new TV. However, after a fairly expensive Christmas my wife is going to put limits on how much I can spend, so I’m likely going to be limited to a budget of <$1000 Canadian, so that will probably mean no OLEDs up for consideration.

However, as a gamer I would like to take advantage of HDR if possible for my PS5 or my series X, something that my old TV did not support. I’d also be interested in trying out some games in 120Hz mode where available. In order to do so for either HDR or 120 Hz it’s not enough to simply have a TV that supports HDR, right? It also needs to have HDMI 2.1? How can I tell if a TV supports HDMI 2.1? I’ve been looking at some TVs on Best Buy’s website this morning and I’m not seeing anything on any of the TVs about whether or not they support HDMI 2.1.

So I’m not 100% sure, but it seems that my TV may have died. I have a 65” Sharp that I bought in October 2018 that as of last night seemingly won’t turn on. I’ve read articles online and watched YouTube videos on how to do “hard resets” to force it to be able to turn on, but nothing seems to work. It just will not turn on.

So it’s looking like I’m in the market for a new TV. However, after a fairly expensive Christmas my wife is going to put limits on how much I can spend, so I’m likely going to be limited to a budget of <$1000 Canadian, so that will probably mean no OLEDs up for consideration.

However, as a gamer I would like to take advantage of HDR if possible for my PS5 or my series X, something that my old TV did not support. I’d also be interested in trying out some games in 120Hz mode where available. In order to do so for either HDR or 120 Hz it’s not enough to simply have a TV that supports HDR, right? It also needs to have HDMI 2.1? How can I tell if a TV supports HDMI 2.1? I’ve been looking at some TVs on Best Buy’s website this morning and I’m not seeing anything on any of the TVs about whether or not they support HDMI 2.1.

For 2.1 its usually in the specs list, it'll be under inputs and it should list how many of the hdmi's have it. Normally it's 2 unless it's LG, LG's tvs normally have all 4 ports with HDMI 2.1. Your probably looking at something like a Samsung QLed series, LG Nanocell series, for your budget. If you see one you like look it up on rtings.com and most of the time there should be a review for that unit.

I've been having similar intermittent picture and audio issues with my 65" Samsung LED for the last few months. I assumed it was my AMD GPU drivers because everyone shits on them but I recently got a PS5 and I'm still having the same issues so it's obviously not my gaming PC.

So I just ordered a 65" Sony Bravia LED from Best Buy a couple days ago and a few big selling points were 120HZ refresh rate, VRR, ALLM and 2.1 HDMI for the gaming benefits. It also has 4 HDMI ports (most new TVs only seem to have 2). It came out to 1400 CAD with tax so it's probably similar to what you're looking for. This is the one here.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...led-google-tv-smart-tv-xr65x90k-2022/16006295

And here is the Rtings review.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x90k

I've been having similar intermittent picture and audio issues with my 65" Samsung LED for the last few months. I assumed it was my AMD GPU drivers because everyone shits on them but I recently got a PS5 and I'm still having the same issues so it's obviously not my gaming PC.

So I just ordered a 65" Sony Bravia LED from Best Buy a couple days ago and a few big selling points were 120HZ refresh rate, VRR, ALLM and 2.1 HDMI for the gaming benefits. It also has 4 HDMI ports (most new TVs only seem to have 2). It came out to 1400 CAD with tax so it's probably similar to what you're looking for. This is the one here.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...led-google-tv-smart-tv-xr65x90k-2022/16006295

LOL, my best friend has that exact TV and he’s pushing me to get one too. It’s certainly a nice one and good for the PS5, I’m just a bit meh on that price. My wife is going to give me the gears if I spend that much given how much I spent over the holidays (including buying her a MacBook Air for Christmas)

LOL, my best friend has that exact TV and he’s pushing me to get one too. It’s certainly a nice one and good for the PS5, I’m just a bit meh on that price. My wife is going to give me the gears if I spend that much given how much I spent over the holidays (including buying her a MacBook Air for Christmas)
Cool. I don't like buying big ticket items sight unseen so I was nervous pulling the trigger but I also wanted one with delivery this weekend so I could play.

Sounds like you need to employ some more jedi mind gaslighting tricks to smooth it over lol

I couldn't find anything under 1000 CAD with 120hz and HDMI 2.1. The lower priced ones were all 60hz with "effective" 120hz through upscaling or some other voodoo.

Only see one LG 120hz model at 65" for under 1K at Microcenter. Every other 120hz model around 65" under 1K is refurbished.

Sharp still makes TVs?

<TheWire1>

@Madmick is amazing at finding great deals, hopefully he'll recommend a brand that usually lasts longer than 4 years.

My friend just got a 70" Sony for like 800-$900.
Great looking TV.

I have the LG C1. It looks and sounds amazing but the interface is absolute trash. I would have probably paid extra and got the Sony OLED with glare reduction if I could do it over.

TV Table for XSX & PS5
Your best bet that price point for a gaming TV is going to be a TCL. At 65", the TCL 6 series would be my top recommendation if you can coax the wife into letting you go $200 CAD above that budget.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-mini-led-roku-os-smart-tv-65r635-ca/14671246

TCL/Roku 6 series always seems to rate high re: bang for your buck. When we moved and bought a few TVs a few of years ago, I think it was right around $500. Interface is super simple my (then) 6 year old could navigate it. From a specs perspective, idk man. I only check out TV stuff when I'm in the market for one, and that's during Super Bowl season.

So I ended up just saying fuck it and went with this one too. It was sold out at Best Buy, but Costco had it for the same price. I had to try two different Costcos to find it in stock. Probably don’t have time to set it up tonight, and am heading to Calgary for the New Year’s weekend with the family to visit my folks. I’m in an arbitration all next week so I might honestly have to wait until next weekend before I’ll have time to set it up.

Does anyone know if the HDMI cables that come with the PS5 and Series X are HDMI 2.1 compatible, or am I going to have to go out and buy some new cables in order to get the most out of this new TV?

Make sure HDMI 2.1 Dolby ATMOS is amazing and 2.1 is required an you need 2 of them. My new Bose soundbar sounds completely different without ATMOS running. Still good but ATMOS is another level. If your connecting a PC make sure your video card supports 2.1.

Haven't seen a Sharp in stores in ages and Costco used to carry them.

My old Panasonic 32" HDTV stopped turning on. My old LCD Polaroid used for computer monitor would turn on but it was just blank gray or something. I wish there was some troubleshooting guide that said which part to replace to fix it.

Sharp tv's are still sold quite regularly over here in the UK especially in supermarkets normally alongside Toshiba and the odd Hisense.

So I ended up just saying fuck it and went with this one too. It was sold out at Best Buy, but Costco had it for the same price. I had to try two different Costcos to find it in stock. Probably don’t have time to set it up tonight, and am heading to Calgary for the New Year’s weekend with the family to visit my folks. I’m in an arbitration all next week so I might honestly have to wait until next weekend before I’ll have time to set it up.

Does anyone know if the HDMI cables that come with the PS5 and Series X are HDMI 2.1 compatible, or am I going to have to go out and buy some new cables in order to get the most out of this new TV?
The Rtings review doesn't show any HDMI cable from their "In the Box" photo.
in-the-box-large.jpg

If an HDMI cable says "Ultra High Speed" in the white print along the cable, then it is an HDMI 2.1.

I would rather locate a used OLED than buy a new QLED.

Offerup, FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.

Back