Neck

You can do wrestler bridges. Which is simply balancing on your head with only your legs planted on the ground. Try to hold that position for a seconds.

Nanthony said:
You can do wrestler bridges. Which is simply balancing on your head with only your legs planted on the ground. Try to hold that position for a seconds.

I'd be careful with these..........

Yeah, if you don't use caution you could end up with some serious injuries.

i hurt my neck pretty bad 2 weeks ago on the 4 way neck machine,i went alittle heavier than usual and i felt something pop in my lower neck/upper back area,i couldnt turn my head sideways for 6 days,it sucked.be careful on neck exercise and do the movement super slow if you dont want injuries

I have found bridging to be a great exercise for neck strength but be careful and put your hands on the ground to help support your neck when you first start doing the exercise. As your neck strength improves you will need your hands less. This is a controversial exercise.

Other simple stuff you can do is isometric exercises, like pushing against your neck with your hand from various angles and maintaining the pressure for 10 to 15 secs.

I like to do a variation of an ab excercise. I lay flat on my back with my feet together and 6 inches off the floor. Then I start nodding my head as much as the range of motion will allow, crown of the head to the floor all the way to my chin on my chest. I do that 30 seconds, then rest for 10. Next I shake my head from side to side, again as far as the range of motion will allow. 30 seconds on, 10 off. Repeat as neccesary.

rory_44, I also do those exercises and I found them to be a lot harder than I first thought they would be. And the good part about doing those movements is there is no pressure on the neck except for the weight of your head, so there is very little chance of injury.

You can buy a Neck Harness for about $30 onnline. Best way to train it that I've found.

matsumi said:
rory_44, I also do those exercises and I found them to be a lot harder than I first thought they would be. And the good part about doing those movements is there is no pressure on the neck except for the weight of your head, so there is very little chance of injury.

Yeah, but there's also buggerall resistance.

If you can work up to a good wrestling bridge (forward and back) you will be worlds ahead of lying on your back bringing your chin to your chest

I rarely train neck specifically, but wrestlers bridges are really good.

I did it once, held the position for sets of 30 seconds, and you really do feel it in your neck.

johnnydussimo said:
Yeah, but there's also buggerall resistance.

If you can work up to a good wrestling bridge (forward and back) you will be worlds ahead of lying on your back bringing your chin to your chest

lol, try it a few times before you criticize, its tougher than it sounds, I find it a lot tougher than bridging

rory_44 said:
lol, try it a few times before you criticize, its tougher than it sounds, I find it a lot tougher than bridging

Nice one genius. Try not to make such poor assumptions.

I've tried them many times, and sure they get tiring if you do a hundred of them, but in terms of redundancy that's up there with doing 52 reps of cable curls. It's pure endurance and won't build much strength.

How far do you bridge, if you find these head lifts so much tougher than bridging? I assume you don't use your hands, and can touch your nose to the mat behind you at the very least

For someone like yourself johnnydussimo who sounds like you have a good level of neck strength, I would only recommend them as a finnishing exercise. I agree that there is very little resistance, that was my point. I was suggesting it for guys that are just getting into bridging to help them build strength in the neck.

Personally I use bridging and at times bridging with a 20 kg weight vest as my main neck strength builder, and then I'll do the low resistance exercises to finnish off my neck workouts.

johnnydussimo said:
Nice one genius. Try not to make such poor assumptions.

I've tried them many times, and sure they get tiring if you do a hundred of them, but in terms of redundancy that's up there with doing 52 reps of cable curls. It's pure endurance and won't build much strength.

How far do you bridge, if you find these head lifts so much tougher than bridging? I assume you don't use your hands, and can touch your nose to the mat behind you at the very least

why are you ripping on me so much? I'm tying to offer some suggestions to help this guy out. I do both excercises, and I find the nods tougher. If you can actually touch your nose to the mat, thats pretty impressive. I'm not that flexible, I must have too much muscle on my neck from all those nods :wink:

So I tried neck curls. Did a few and thought 'yeah there's not much resistance really'.

And seeing as johnny said neck curls are 'pure endurance' I thought why not do tabata neck curls.

Oof. Give it a try.

id think the neck curls would seem safer... bridging to your nose ouch seems like it would eventually do somethign to your spine.

Bridging is a controversial exercise!

If you are worried about injuries don't bridge. There are plenty of other neck exercises you can do other than bridging. Personally I like bridging and have had no problems with it.

Back