Neck Strengthening Exercises

gawkrodger said:
Suggestions please!
Isometrics baby! This was basically founded by Charles Atlas, I belive the 1940's.

Take the palm of your hand and place it on your forehead. Push your head back with the palm as you resist forward with your head and neck. Do slow controlled reps.(10-12 seconds per pass)back and forward. do this until muscle failure occurs. Rest , then do it by placing the palm on the back of the head. Repeat. Then the side and so on...
This along with stretching the neck properly afterwards.

Also you can sit on the floor in front of your couch. rest your head on the cushins keeping space between your back and the couch. put your feet on the floor and your knees pointing upward. raise your butt off the ground keeping your back straight. Up and down resisting both ways. Holding weights increases resistance.

Note: Slow, positive and negative resistance is key, make sure to breathe deeply as you go.
I love these because you can do them anywere and they works great.
Hope this helped

bridges- front and back, - weighted or unweighted
neck harness
lie with your back on a bench with your head hanging off the end, put a plate on your forhead and curl the weight up with your neck, now lie on you stomach and place the plate on back of your head and do the same. You can do this to the sides too but keep the weight low and reps high (12-20)

i do chin ups. i just rest my chin on a bar i have mounted in my basement by the floor joists & lift my body weight with my neck muscles. i do 3 sets of 15 reps, but if you wanna bulk up i suggest less reps & wrapping some weight to your ankles. hope this helps.

blownards said:
i do chin ups. i just rest my chin on a bar i have mounted in my basement by the floor joists & lift my body weight with my neck muscles. i do 3 sets of 15 reps, but if you wanna bulk up i suggest less reps & wrapping some weight to your ankles. hope this helps.

Urban, now he's going after S&P and Conditioning. Just go check this guy's posts in D&S. He's deliberately sabotaging the forum. He even managed to piss Kabuki off (and that takes serious dedication or ignorance, or most likely a combination of the two).

Please ISP ban this moron.

blownards said:

So do you like to mess with people on the internet? Is that your thing?

Alright Gawkrodger mate!

Our trainer back home showed me one when I realised I had a fuckin twig for a neck after a clinch session and was aching so asked what I could do to strengthen it. He said to lie back on the floor and just do sort of neck raises (I dunno if the movement has a name) just against gravity and not letting your head touch the ground. he suggested doing 50 and then gradually building it up or mixing it into sets of both vertical raises (bringing the chin to the chest and back) and side rotations (just looking one side then the other), again not letting the head touch the ground, they must work something cos your neck feels it after a few sets!

Another one I'd heard was holding a towel round the back of your head, pulling forward with your hands and resisting with your neck muscles to avoid your head being pulled forward.

Hope this helps a bit.

Yes just lie on the floor on the back and do neck flexions. Head up and head down. Once you get stronger, use the weight on the forehead. Like a plate or a sand bag. Than turn on the stomach and do the same. Than turn and repeat on each side.
I rather do that, bridges look dangerous to me.

When I learned how to weight train my trainer used to have me lay on the weight bench with my head off of the bench at one-end. He'd then stand over me with a towel gripped as if he was doing cable pull-downs and place it across my forehead. I'd lean my neck back in the empty space and then when I would try to lift my head he'd push down on the towel. That's one you can do with a partner. Also, you can have a training partner take their stance and raise one hand palm-out. Then you rest your forhead in the palm of their hand and have them lean forward slightly putting their bodyweight on your forehead, you keep your back straight (not bent-over or leaned foreward) and just try to walk-forward. They have to keep their arm tight if-not locked out at the elbow (if they are strong they shouldn't need to lock their elbow). When you can move them back your neck is strong enough I think.

blownards said:

Don't post this BS man, you could get someone hurt. Now, back to your masturbating to year book pictures.

Back