Neck Cranks?

because neck cranks/spine locks like heel hooks are an extremely dangerous submission. let's put it this way: Do guys get their elbows hurt from armbars? Shoulders from shoulder locks? Ankles from foot locks? Ofcourse no matter how carfull you are sometimes when you "go at it" people get hurt. The difference between a neck and an elbow is that you neck/spine is so tricky that just a small tick could put you away from anywhere from a few days to years. That's why neck cranks (especially for beginners) are frowned upon.

I really love it when people say "oh i teach neck cranks to beginners and no one get's hurt" Oh really? What you mean to say is that "no one got hurt YET". People have sore elbows and shoulders/knees/ankles from submissions. Elbows pop and you don't think that your neck won't get injured?

Quoted for truth :cool:

People have families and jobs. Spinal injuries tend to get in the way of that - and last a lifetime. Its the same reason we don't allow knives and baseball bats into sparring ... they're effective, but that doesn't mean you want to spar with them.

What is the legality of the "can opener"?

What is the legality of the "can opener"?

It is a neck crank, and many tournaments do not allow it. that said it is also not very effective and unless done perfectly leaves your arms out.

Being neck cranked is the same as someone driving their forearm across your throat from the guard. Yea they are both annoying but deal with them!

I never use the forearm tactic but once in a while I use the neck crank lightly....if the guy is holding onto his closed guard for dear life

Neck cranks are more than annoying.

It is relatively easy to jack somebody's neck up for life.

Being neck cranked is the same as someone driving their forearm across your throat from the guard. Yea they are both annoying but deal with them!

I never use the forearm tactic but once in a while I use the neck crank lightly....if the guy is holding onto his closed guard for dear life

are you an idiot??? a forearm across the throat will only work if your opponent is a noob who has his chin up and it doesn't cripple your oppoent for life. How the fuck do you even compare the two?

are you an idiot??? a forearm across the throat will only work if your opponent is a noob who has his chin up and it doesn't cripple your oppoent for life. How the fuck do you even compare the two?

I meant "ethically" not "medically" but WOW did you ever get bent out of shape! Easy girl!

Edit" misread that...

it's easy? So if someone is putting you in a crucifix neck crank... and spazzing out while doing it... how would you stop it?

it's easy? So if someone is putting you in a crucifix neck crank... and spazzing out while doing it... how would you stop it?

First off, I misread what Zankou wrote...

I believe the TS was talking about a neck crank from the guard right? I don't feel like going back to re-read it so Im going to assume that is what he meant, not from the crucifix position. So my reply was in reference to a neck crank from the guard (someone inside your guard pulling your neck forward) and if someone is doing that there are few ways to prevent him from cranking your neck; push his chin away with your hands, pull his elbows apart, sweep etc.

A crucifix neck crank is like a twister....once you are in it you're fucked! Ya know how I would get out of it? TAP! Especially in class, who cares? I dunno maybe you are one of the ego maniacs who refuses to tap in class and would rather get hurt, but I would tap out!

My original reply was talking about the similarity between someone leaning their forearm into your throat or pulling your head down to open your guard....from an ETHICAL point of view. Why would you do either (hard) to a teammate since you could hurt them. I didnt expect you freak out over it....I guess someone neck cranked you too hard once?!?!

Im in no mood to get in a argument with you over something so stupid Mr Blanko. So get off my nuts! Thanks!

My instructor has a catch wrestling background so they're a given.

EDIT: but done with caution and rarity and we are taught the defenses more thoroughly than the actual technique.

Yeah, so it didn't hurt too much yesterday, but I woke up today with it hurting even more. There's that sharp pain when I look up or put my head down. Kinda sucked because we were practicing some sweeps today and I kept feeling it. Oh well, hopefully it gets better soon.

I just learned to do neck bridges hell half the gulltines I get on people that are good are basically neck cranks becasue its ard to secure the actual choke so you need to constantly switch angles to avodi the defnse and it normamly results in a crank not a choke.

Here is a neat trick for the can opener from guard life it up with your hand then get your chin underneath the back of his head and pull up with your body. I find that finishes people that can't get caught in can openers nomally

Ouch- that stung considering that I got caught in this the other day (well... I did manage a quick arm bar attempt and that got him on the defensive again but... still... ouch...).

Over work an armbar the likelihood is a long time in rehab but you can recover with (in most cases) minimal loss of function. Over work a heel hook then you're practically maiming someone for life. You dislocate the right vertebrae and you're causing death- not just paralysis.

Back