necessary to incorporate strength training as part of muay thai training?

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
Dont know any pro muay thai fighters or let alone thais that incorporate general strength into their daily routine. If anything they're more towards sports specific conditioning with sets of abs, pull ups, push ups

Would it still be necessary to incorporate general strength routine?

It depends how strong you are or aren't.

Thai fighters are traditional. There's not exactly much science to their training, they just go and go and go from a young age, developing all the necessary qualities across more than a decade of 6 hours of training a day, 6 days a week.

Unless you can really fit in that much specific training, then some GPP is a good idea, and a small measure of strength is part of that.

It really depends on your goals. I strength train to supplement, I noticed a huge difference in my kicks after doing squats one day and a difference in my punches on deadlift days.

i loved weight training but I don't think its a significant advantage for striking. If anything cardio is more important, I remember fellow teammates were proponents of kettlebell cardio and those guys were the ones who didn't have the best fight cardio.

I have gradually been laying off the strength work for Muay Thai and it hasnt seemed to hurt me any, I just do more cardio and it seems to be working, all the sparring and smokers I have done have been better than wen I was more focused on strength work (deads, squats, ohp...). Im actually doing an experiment of just me and im going to do a bodybuilding program for 3 months with my muay thai....GASP....just to see what happens. WOrst case scenario, I get completely shredded in time for my training camp in Thailand so everybody will stare at me when my shirt is off.

The best MT fighters of the last 100 years havent done much/any resistance training that involves powerlifting/olympic lifting, or weights in general. Strength training is not necessary to become a good MT fighter.

The best MT fighters of the last 100 years havent done much/any resistance training that involves powerlifting/olympic lifting, or weights in general. Strength training is not necessary to become a good MT fighter.

Agreed, they focus on bodyweight movements, and reps. Lots and lots of reps.

They feel horrendously strong in the clinch too. When you drill techniques a lot you get good at leverages.

What if someone such as my self doesnt get a chance to work on the clinch on the consistant basis due to lack of training partners, would adding a strength routine 1-2x a week be better then nothing?

Back