• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NCAA Wrestling 2015-16

Bakersfield State is poor. AD has been waging war against wrestling for 30+ years. Candidates better be masochists.

Bono is a good candidate.
Perry - Can he take IMar with him?

Manning - As Polish stated, very difficult to see him leaving Nebraska, Minnesota doesn't really have any more to offer than Nebraska. He has built a top program and has tremendous support there - huge budget and incredible facilities.

Santoro - Given his PA roots - he grew up in Bethlehem, family members have competed for Lehigh - I would be really surprised if he left Lehigh.

Jackson - Imo, he is is content to stay in Ames until he retires. Iowa St does have a large budget for wrestling; however, overall their athletic department can't compete with Minnesota.

Popolizio - Another good candidate. Another school that Minnesota buries in the budget & facilities comparison.

Dresser - With VA Tech's recent success, hard to see him leaving there. Additionally he has been in Virginia for nearly 30 years and his wife is from Blacksburg.
Honestly what a lot of programs need I'm today's world is a Tom Borelli type person

Don't forget Mark Cody

Cody definitely could be a candidate. But it will be tough to get him away from Oklahoma.
Oklahoma has one of the largest athletic budgets in the country (think this past year they were #5 among public institutions), has top notch facilities, national name recognition and an incredible history. Minnesota isn't an improvement on any of that unless they offer a higher salary & that is the bottom line for Cody.

Bono is a good candidate.
Perry - Can he take IMar with him?

Manning - As Polish stated, very difficult to see him leaving Nebraska, Minnesota doesn't really have any more to offer than Nebraska. He has built a top program and has tremendous support there - huge budget and incredible facilities.

Santoro - Given his PA roots - he grew up in Bethlehem, family members have competed for Lehigh - I would be really surprised if he left Lehigh.

Jackson - Imo, he is is content to stay in Ames until he retires. Iowa St does have a large budget for wrestling; however, overall their athletic department can't compete with Minnesota.

Popolizio - Another good candidate. Another school that Minnesota buries in the budget & facilities comparison.

Dresser - With VA Tech's recent success, hard to see him leaving there. Additionally he has been in Virginia for nearly 30 years and his wife is from Blacksburg.

I think Santoro and Jackson would take this job.

I've thought Santoro was a top coach for a long time and think he had more to do with Lehigh's success in the late 90's early 2000's than Strobel. But now he has to battle with Cael for instate talent. I think he can win a National Title in Minn but not at Lehigh and I;m a Lehigh fan.

Jackson has the same problem battling Iowa for talent. A move to Minn would definitely help him when it comes to winning a title.

Also Minn I believe has bigger budget than any of those schools

Cody definitely could be a candidate. But it will be tough to get him away from Oklahoma.
Oklahoma has one of the largest athletic budgets in the country (think this past year they were #5 among public institutions), has top notch facilities, national name recognition and an incredible history. Minnesota isn't an improvement on any of that unless they offer a higher salary & that is the bottom line for Cody.

But he has to battle John Smith for in state talent.

The only schools with = or better situations are PSU, OSU, tOSU and Iowa.

But you're forgetting the fact Cody is on the hot seat, last year of his contact because they didn't extend it either, and he was successful with a similar situation to Columbia at American.

And someone needs to be willing to put the work at CSU Bakersfield. It might suck but you're also in California and I'd like for Fresno state to be growth of DI, not a regression

But he has to battle John Smith for in state talent.

The only schools with = or better situations are PSU, OSU, tOSU and Iowa.
True, he has to go up against John Smith. I was thinking along the lines of national recruiting, Oklahoma tends to have more coast to coast guys on their teams while Minnesota is mainly in-state kids and bordering states. Although, Minnesota does get some big recruits from further out, usually sets of brothers.

As jack posted, Cody is potentially on his last year at OU, maybe he jumps ship now. ??
I wonder if the Oklahoma schools still charge out of state student-athletes the same tuition as in-state students pay? I know the NC state schools stopped that a few years ago.

I don't think Cody did well enough at OU to warrant the Minn job tbh.

But you're forgetting the fact Cody is on the hot seat, last year of his contact because they didn't extend it either, and he was successful with a similar situation to Columbia at American.

And someone needs to be willing to put the work at CSU Bakersfield. It might suck but you're also in California and I'd like for Fresno state to be growth of DI, not a regression
Yeah, I forgot about Cody not getting a contract extension yet. Wasn't even thinking about him going to Columbia either, he is a guy that could work well there.

I want Bakersfield to succeed, definitely don't want to see another CA program wither and die especially with Fresno State coming back but Bakersfield is just in a tough position.

Back