Nate's Southpaw stance will be a problem for Conor

StannisTheMannis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has Conor ever faced a southpaw? Also i see Nate controlling Conor on the ground. This is not an easy fight for Conor at all. Also first fight 2 weightclasses above his. I think the run ends here tbh.

He raped Dustin Poirier, who is also a taller southpaw with good hands.

Nate doesn't "control" anyone on the ground. The only way he ever gets anyone on the ground is if they're half knocked out or if they take him down. Fight only goes to the ground if Conor wants it to.

This is something I was really wondering about with RDA. Conor is used to fighting shorter orthodox fighters and his greatest weapon, his left hand, is opened up with the southpaw/orthodox matchup. Of all the conor fights i've seen he hasn't been in there with many skilled southpaws. With as well schooled as he is i'm sure he will have a plan and im still expecting him to be the better striker, it isn't like his left hand will suddenly not work but he'll have to make some changes. Holloway fought the whole fight against Conor in orthodox despite being great from both stances himself.

Now he's fighting a southpaw who's longer than him. It's an interesting question. Nate looked good in his last fight against a southpaw. I think being a southpaw, esp in MMA can be kind of a big deal, or at least a factor. It changes the ranges and most guys aren't used to it. A lot of the champions are southpaws or fighters who can fight from both stances.

I think grappling wise, at least from the wrestling/takedown perspective. Mcgregor matches up well here. He has good balance in the clinch and Nate's takedown game is only clinch TDs. If Nate can make some scrambles I wouldn't be shocked at all for it to be over quick with a Diaz win but it isn't going to be easy.

Last edited:
Conor has fought southpaws and spars them in the gym. He often switches stances in sparring and can fight as a lefty or orthodox, it makes no difference. I've seen him light up sparring partners from both. If Nate had strong low kicks then it could but he doesn't, though RDA does, and he's also a southpaw. He could chop away at his lead leg with rear leg power low kicks to try and take away his base and as a result some of the pop in Conor's strikes, particularly in his left hand.

Unfortunately for Nate, he's a very limited fighter compared to RDA and McGregor. It's gonna be lights out for him.

Brandao and Poirier were both southpaws that got KO'd inside a round.

Beat it, ya bum.

Conor has fought southpaws and spars them in the gym. He often switches stances in sparring and can fight as a lefty or orthodox, it makes no difference. I've seen him light up sparring partners
None of those partners could properly imitate a Diaz high volume style.

This is a valid post. Conor got dinged several times by Poirier and Brimage before eventually capitalizing on their over aggressive face leading. McGregor's game is built around stifling an orthodox opponent's lead hand and leg so they lash out with their rear hand and he can counter, It isn't there with Diaz or any southpaw really.

Poirer is southpaw you dummy. Watch the sport before acting like you know fuck all

Brandao and Poirier were both southpaws that got KO'd inside a round.

Beat it, ya bum.

korean-zombie-jung.gif%3Fw%3D640

2.gif

Yea both great strikers XDDD

You will cry so hard for few days my friend...

korean-zombie-jung.gif%3Fw%3D640

2.gif

Yea both great strikers XDDD

You will cry so hard for few days my friend...
That Brandao knockdown is pretty similar to how Conor killed Aldo. Albeit, Brandao didn't get KOed so he did manage to last about 14 minutes and 47 seconds longer than Aldo did against Conor. Good on him.

As for crying for a few days, I'm a Conor fan so I wouldn't know anything about that. I'm sure as a Fedor fan and a Conor hater, you could tell me all about it though. :)

Enjoy, bum.

Pretty sure one of his main training partners (Gunnar) switches stance sometimes too, and Frans Mlambo, another sparring partners, can fight southpaw.

IIRC both Diaz brothers are right handed but fighting in southpaw position (not leftie southpaws which McG fought before). That's something to keep in mind.

McGregor left himself pretty exposed a couple of times in the Poirier fight, really coulda gone either way. The Diaz fight will be easy. McGregor knockout. Edgar or rda get him.

I'll account bet you for the Diaz vs conor fight. Easiest bet I've made in a while.
If nobody else with a higher post count takes it, I'll take your bet. Post on my profile so I remember your name, please.

Back