Social Nashville locals are furious over the influx of wealthy residents as companies like Oracle rush to Tennessee

It's a bit of a bummer, but there are definitely ways you can take advantage of it, especially if you already own a home there. It doesn't completely change overnight, so you have time to snatch up a 2nd or 3rd property to rent out before it gets too high, and you can make some good extra money to offset any rising property taxes on your own house, and if the inflow gets to be too much where you just don't want to live there anymore, you're in a good spot to sell for way more than you paid and relocate to another smaller town for cheaper with some pretty good extra money.

I mean your property values are all going up, something to celebrate I guess.

I've been to Nashville a couple of times briefly and enjoyed it. It definitely didn't feel that big last time I went but that was probably 10+ years ago. I know it has exploded since.

Nashville and southern Tennessee are gorgeous, makes sense why people would want to go there. They also have common sense laws that arent ruining their state. Winter is a little cold for my liking otherwise I'd definitely consider it.
The Great Smokey Mountains are great same with other places in Tennessee.

Enjoy being the new target white flight destination for the next ten years!

Why Nashville locals are furious over the influx of wealthy residents as companies like Oracle rush to Tennessee​

Furious Nashville locals say they are being driven out of their city as wealthy residents and major companies continue making the move to Tennessee from blue states.

Once known for its country music scene, Nashville has seen a population boom over the last few years, with major corporations like Oracle choosing to move their headquarters there.

Attracted by lower property costs and taxes, Amazon has also announced it would set up major operations in downtown Nashville, and New York money manager AllianceBernstein said it would be moving its headquarters to the city, as reported by the Wall Street Journal.

In just 23 years, the metro Nashville region has gone from 1.3 million residents to 2.1million, per the US Census Bureau, increasing the value of property and the cost of living.

Still, while Nashville real estate has become more expensive, it is still relatively low when compared to other major US cities. The median home sale price at the end of February was $414,012, compared with the nationwide median of $327,667.

However, just five years ago the median Nashville house cost $290,983.

Remacia Smith, who grew up in Nashville, told the Wall Street Journal she recently was forced to move to the suburbs with her five children.

'It almost doesn’t look like Nashville anymore,' she said. 'Whew Lord, I wish people would stop moving here.'

Meanwhile lifelong resident John Michael Morgan, for his part, told the outlet he is concerned about Nashville keeping its essence.

'Nashville’s always been a big town that felt like a small town,' said Morgan. 'Now we’re a big town that feels like a big town.'

Earlier this month, Oracle founder Larry Ellison announced his plans to move the software giant's corporate headquarters from Kansas to Nashville.

Real estate agent Jack Gaughan told the WSJ that he expects prices to go up over the increased demand from the arrive of Oracle workers.

Ellison said the decision was based on a push by the company to gain a bigger foothold in the healthcare industry.

Meanwhile Sports illustrated swimsuit model Kristen Louelle Gaffney, who is married to NFL star Tyler Gaffney, is ditching Los Angeles for Nashville, citing progressive policies and high taxes.

The mother-of-three said she is fed up with shelling out tax dollars which do little to alleviate the housing crisis and has no intention of supporting Mayor Karen Bass' LA4LA program.

Big businesses and rich people are moving to Nashville because of taxes an real estate prices.

Do the people that throw fit about these type of things consider this gentrification?
Pretty sweet - I love when capitalism comes home to roost among its most fierce and zealous supporters. Enjoy getting a taste of what you've been fiercely upholding for so long!

I'm not speaking specifically of Oracle but of the issue with so many people fleeing California over its various policies, specifically it's tax policies in this case since people only care when it effects their money.

Oracle was in Kansas lmao

You would think and yet not a single municipality has figured it out.

Probably should start a separate discussion about why tying property taxes to sales values and not to actual municipal need doesn't make sense and probably leads to significant underfunding of government while penalizing long term home owners and retirees.

I have never understood the lack of a relationship between property taxes and quality of life, in certain suburbs.
There are so many suburbs with many retail shopping areas and high property taxes, yet their schools are terrible and the area is high in crime.
Meanwhile other suburbs with reasonable property taxes and few retail shopping areas, seem to have excellent schools and low crime.
It all never really adds up to me.

My wife and I ended up here since she was offered a really good job after her post-doc fellowship. We've lived in a few different places around the country so she could finish up all of her training so being transplants is no big deal since we've been moving around for the last 9 years or so. Tennessee is a good middle ground if you like all four seasons, but don't have the balls to live way up north or further south where the temperatures become really extreme.

In terms of affordability.....it's quickly losing it. Most of the people I meet from out west or the north east are pretty solidly middle class and can't afford the giant homes in Brentwood, Green Hills, or Belle Mead. East Nashville is hip and young, but also way overvalued so again, not affordable. They end up moving to places like South Nashville, Antioch, and Cane Ridge. Even communities further outside of Nashville like Murfreesboro, Hendersonville, and Nolensville are getting blown out and overrun. That's just been my experience. We're not wealthy so we don't know many wealthy people and that's probably colored my perspective.

To be honest, I see tons of plates from lots of other states around Davidson and Williamson county. Seems like I see just as many TX and FL plates as I do CA and NY. The whole "Nash-Vegas" thing is a bummer. Too many idiot bachelorette and bachelor parties going on at all times where visitors just use the city as their personal toilet.

I have never understood the lack of a relationship between property taxes and quality of life, in certain suburbs.
There are so many suburbs with many retail shopping areas and high property taxes, yet their schools are terrible and the area is high in crime.
Meanwhile other suburbs with reasonable property taxes and few retail shopping areas, seem to have excellent schools and low crime.
It all never really adds up to me.
Its because the shitty but dense, tax rich parts of town are helping to subsidize the less dense but tax poor parts of town. When that doesn't cover it the city will ask the state and the feds for grants and loans.

Expel them before it's too late. If they stay, they'll turn Nashville into the same shithole they came from.

Back