• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NASCAR vs. Formula 1 - Which do you prefer watching?

Which do you prefer watching?

• Total voters
Ya I'm always shocked by just how important tyre maintenance is in the race. Except for VerStappen it seems the crew chief making the calls on what tyres to use and when to change them, what temperature to keep them, etc. is more important than the driver. I think Max dominates to matter what car he drives this year but being in that rocket ship doesn't hurt.

Yep and in Nascar tire performance has gotten so good that tire maintenance isn't even a thing unless you're at a few specific tracks. Takes a lot of of the skill out of it as well as the shift in which cars are fast at the beginning of a run vs. the end of a run.

I don't follow F1 closely so I could just be talking out of my ass but I always get annoyed with Hulkenberg's pit strategy. It's like they take a 10th place car and always pit early to put him right in the back in traffic so he can lose 30 seconds and wind up 18th every race.

Yep and in Nascar tire performance has gotten so good that tire maintenance isn't even a thing unless you're at a few specific tracks. Takes a lot of of the skill out of it as well as the shift in which cars are fast at the beginning of a run vs. the end of a run.

I don't follow F1 closely so I could just be talking out of my ass but I always get annoyed with Hulkenberg's pit strategy. It's like they take a 10th place car and always pit early to put him right in the back in traffic so he can lose 30 seconds and wind up 18th every race.

Ya the F1 racing isn't always super exciting b/c there isn't a ton of passing. But probably more than in NASCAR, I don't watch NASCAR but might look into it. I enjoy the entire team strategy, different specs on the cars, obviously the racing, but again...the whole idea of what tires to use and when to change them out.

It does seem the shittiest teams are alway pitting after like 10 laps whereas the top guys/teams seem to get WAY more distance out of there tires. But it is super interesting to see how much difference new soft tires make vs old hard tires.

Not American, never saw the appeal of NASCAR. F1 entertains me.

Not American, never saw the appeal of NASCAR. F1 entertains me.
To be far an F1 car costs like 50x that of a NASCAR. A NASCAR team will spend $15 million. F1 caps their teams at $135million so the richest team can't always win. But that doesn't include driver salary.
I also much prefer F1 - I like to see shit that's unbelievable. Don't get me wrong. NASCARs are amazing cars and all but nothing in the ballpark as an F1 machine.

To be far an F1 car costs like 50x that of a NASCAR. A NASCAR team will spend $15 million. F1 caps their teams at $135million so the richest team can't always win. But that doesn't include driver salary.
I also much prefer F1 - I like to see shit that's unbelievable. Don't get me wrong. NASCARs are amazing cars and all but nothing in the ballpark as an F1 machine.
Thanks for the financials, interesting stuff.

Thanks for the financials, interesting stuff.

It really is insane!! Engines are $10.5 and they get 3 for the year.
This is only 1 car. They get to use 3 engines per year! - I believe unlimited things like wings, halo, etc b/c those can break during crashes. So when you see them crash and bust up their front wing that's like the cost of 1 NASCAR

Here are the component allowances for 2022.
  • ICE: Each driver is permitted three internal combustion engines.
  • TC: Each driver is permitted three turbochargers.
  • ES: Each driver is permitted two Energy Stores.
  • MGU-H: Each driver is permitted three Motor Generator Units-Heat.
  • MGU-K: Each driver is permitted three Motor Generator Units-Kinetic.
  • CE: Each driver is permitted two Control Electronics.

Formula-1-Car-Cost-Price.jpg

This graphic even lists travel, per deim, insurance, payroll, etc. - F1 travel...imagine taking your entire team to Monaco, and then Japan, and then Qatar, etc. It's mind boggling.

ghows-LK-dc5bce32-4860-4ad3-9182-f6d0b9ead61d-47793c17.jpeg

Personally prefer F1 but I push back on the dumb meme we often hear from Euro racing fans that NASCAR is bad because it’s “just turning left”. It’s an inadvertent self own because it demonstrates zero understanding of the advance (arguably superior) race craft that oval tracks demand.

It really is insane!! Engines are $10.5 and they get 3 for the year.
This is only 1 car. They get to use 3 engines per year! - I believe unlimited things like wings, halo, etc b/c those can break during crashes. So when you see them crash and bust up their front wing that's like the cost of 1 NASCAR

Here are the component allowances for 2022.
  • ICE: Each driver is permitted three internal combustion engines.
  • TC: Each driver is permitted three turbochargers.
  • ES: Each driver is permitted two Energy Stores.
  • MGU-H: Each driver is permitted three Motor Generator Units-Heat.
  • MGU-K: Each driver is permitted three Motor Generator Units-Kinetic.
  • CE: Each driver is permitted two Control Electronics.

Formula-1-Car-Cost-Price.jpg

This graphic even lists travel, per deim, insurance, payroll, etc. - F1 travel...imagine taking your entire team to Monaco, and then Japan, and then Qatar, etc. It's mind boggling.

ghows-LK-dc5bce32-4860-4ad3-9182-f6d0b9ead61d-47793c17.jpeg

Good stuff.

Nascar is also attempting to curb costs to keep things from getting out of control like F1. The engines are way detuned compared to the HP that they could actually be running. With the new car I believe many of the parts come from the same place so the teams don't have to spend the money designing and creating them. They're meant to be fast and impressive as well as put on a show. Problem is they keep screwing up the putting on a show part.

Ya the F1 racing isn't always super exciting b/c there isn't a ton of passing. But probably more than in NASCAR, I don't watch NASCAR but might look into it. I enjoy the entire team strategy, different specs on the cars, obviously the racing, but again...the whole idea of what tires to use and when to change them out.

It does seem the shittiest teams are alway pitting after like 10 laps whereas the top guys/teams seem to get WAY more distance out of there tires. But it is super interesting to see how much difference new soft tires make vs old hard tires.

NASCAR will often have more passes in one lap than Formula One will have in one season. Formula One used to have fuel and tire strategy. Cars would start the race low on fuel to be able to start faster. Now they can't refuel and have a set amount of fuel onboard for the entire race. Tire strategy is very much decided by the teams being forced to use two compounds and the tracks being designed with longer pit roads forcing cars to run slower for longer so an extra pit stop under green kills any chance of gaining ground by changing tires.

NASCAR tried to add some excitement to the long races by adding races within the race and giving points to the first ten finishers in each stage and having a caution at the end of each stage. I thought that this was a good idea at first because teams not in the top ten in a stage could pit before the end of the stage and start ahead of the stage winners for the next segment but NASCAR prevented that by closing the pits 2 laps before the end of the stage so a pit stop would cost teams a lap. There is only one tire used so there is no strategy to use. At least there are more cars on the tracks because NASCAR doesn't limit entries. They did institute a charter system so teams can't really compete for a championship without a charter. There are 36 charters so most races only have 36 or fewer cars.

Interesting insights into nascar, helps me appreciate it more

I only watch Nascar when it's on SuperSpeedways. or at least one milers. that short track stuff is garbage. glad to see them embrace the notion of city circuits and road courses as well.

F1 fan for years but rapidly the star of the show has become the advanced technology. Of course, drivers need incredible skill to drive these things but, sadly, many tracks don't encourage/allow passing opportunities and that makes for boring races, reducing strategy
to pit stops and tire choices.

NASCAR will often have more passes in one lap than Formula One will have in one season. Formula One used to have fuel and tire strategy. Cars would start the race low on fuel to be able to start faster. Now they can't refuel and have a set amount of fuel onboard for the entire race. Tire strategy is very much decided by the teams being forced to use two compounds and the tracks being designed with longer pit roads forcing cars to run slower for longer so an extra pit stop under green kills any chance of gaining ground by changing tires.

NASCAR tried to add some excitement to the long races by adding races within the race and giving points to the first ten finishers in each stage and having a caution at the end of each stage. I thought that this was a good idea at first because teams not in the top ten in a stage could pit before the end of the stage and start ahead of the stage winners for the next segment but NASCAR prevented that by closing the pits 2 laps before the end of the stage so a pit stop would cost teams a lap. There is only one tire used so there is no strategy to use. At least there are more cars on the tracks because NASCAR doesn't limit entries. They did institute a charter system so teams can't really compete for a championship without a charter. There are 36 charters so most races only have 36 or fewer cars.
One great f1 pass is worth more then entire season of Nascar passes like that one with Perez sainz and Hamilton thing

Back