Name this pass (Guilherme Mendes)

1m10 seconds. Awesome pass if you want to keep your hips low I must say.

Sidenote, Jacare was the man back in the day. The way he beat Braulio is just unbelievable. As much as I like Rodolfo and his passing game, when looking at this match I realize how Jacare at his prime was just another animal.

This is a great pass and works great from a lot of different positions. Took a few months of really drilling it before I was able to do it.Gui really helped me out with this one time when he was up. He really likes to get the elbow inside on the far leg grip. Way better control and prevents the opponent from lassoing his leg back in.

I've been using the long step option where you pin the knees after you backstep, then hopping over to a leg drag position (or just side control) on the opposite side. Having the leg grip on the far leg helps you get going with that variation as you're keeping the grip the entire time.

Yes, I use this aswell. Very hard to stop a guy from hoping over and a very good position to stabalize for your 3 points.

i am also really bad at this pass >=(

i cant really figure out why. i think i got all the necessary details down... like head on chest... elbow on mat... but the guy always manage to turn and reguard into me.

i had some success with hopping to the other side. but this is definitely not a consistent pass for me yet. i wanna get good at it though!

i am also really bad at this pass >=(

i cant really figure out why. i think i got all the necessary details down... like head on chest... elbow on mat... but the guy always manage to turn and reguard into me.

i had some success with hopping to the other side. but this is definitely not a consistent pass for me yet. i wanna get good at it though!

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to point out something I just noticed watching MB videos.

After doing the pass, you're supposed to get back to a belly-down tripod position to put pressure and stabilize the position. But I realized I was doing it the wrong way: if you do what comes naturally and step forward with your back-stepping leg, you're moving *towards* his leg, and walk right into his guard.

Instead you have to do a technical stand-up kind of move and bring your non-back-stepping leg (the one that's flat on the ground) *behind* you and towards the other guy's head, moving away from the guard in the process.

I can't say I'm very good at doing this yet, but if you drill it until it becomes natural, I think it can make a big difference in the success of the pass.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to point out something I just noticed watching MB videos.

After doing the pass, you're supposed to get back to a belly-down tripod position to put pressure and stabilize the position. But I realized I was doing it the wrong way: if you do what comes naturally and step forward with your back-stepping leg, you're moving *towards* his leg, and walk right into his guard.

Instead you have to do a technical stand-up kind of move and bring your non-back-stepping leg (the one that's flat on the ground) *behind* you and towards the other guy's head, moving away from the guard in the process.

I can't say I'm very good at doing this yet, but if you drill it until it becomes natural, I think it can make a big difference in the success of the pass.

Rafa put up an awesome video yesterday on his style of passing side to side by the way. One of the better videos on their site.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
This tip alone made this pass work for me! Thanks!

Yes, this is an important detail.

Agree with Drew about the latest video on MB, great concepts.

Back