Name this pass (Guilherme Mendes)

TangoMF

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was watching some of the Mendes bros rolling videos for a blog I'm writing. Guilherme keeps hitting this pass, either on its own and in combination with the kneeslide.

I'm not as up on all the various names for techniques as I probably should be, but I was hoping there was some consensus as to what this is:

spread.gif

My gut feeling is 'long step'. But happy to be corrected. @_@

Yeah, looks like the long step pass they've been teaching at recent seminars.

Used it tonight.

Long step pass. They teach some good details to it on their online training program.

Thanks! Totally makes sense given their long step to the back.

Michael Langhi uses this pass all the time too...

Funny thing is I've been taught this pass several times. But I always just called it "that pass where you pull the leg and base out on your elbow and kickback"

I wasn't very good with nomenclature in college either though.

Been hearing this called the long step, and I've been working on it too, after seeing Terere blast past someone's guard with it.

I've been drilling it based on this video:

lovato calls it the butt flop pass and goes over it starting about 1:20 here:

All 3 are slightly different: Gui has a sleeve/collar grip, breaks his hip and switches to sleeve/far leg grip with head pressure. Terere has the same sleeve grip, but opts for a near side leg control. Lovato dives for shoulder pressure/head control with a far side pant grip. Gui and Terere also look like the start from more of a butterfly guard position while Lovato like to sumo step like he'd go for a folding pass. Also critical with the Gui and Terere variations is their use of their head's in the opponents chest. I notice a lot of lower level guys don't use their heads as a tool when passing.

Very interesting pass. The ATOS style (grabbing the lapel and far leg pant) is the best by my lights, because it's usually too hard to get a massive crossface against a good guard player, and also having a bit more distance helps you extract your leg more easily.

The far leg is also much better to grab IMO. The problem with the near leg is that the guy can invert on you unless you get have a dominating crossface.

Lepri's new DVD shows the same pass against butterfly. You can go either way, the principle is the same, it's a MASSIVE backstep where you control the far leg and block the head. Against butterfly, you have to be a bit more careful about how you set it up however, in order to avoid the sweep and control your opponent. Instead of a collar grip, he grabs around the back, effectively throwing himself into the sweep, and drops his head really low on the *other* side, almost like he is giving up a guillotine.

The far leg is also much better to grab IMO. The problem with the near leg is that the guy can invert on you unless you get have a dominating crossface.

I've been using the long step option where you pin the knees after you backstep, then hopping over to a leg drag position (or just side control) on the opposite side. Having the leg grip on the far leg helps you get going with that variation as you're keeping the grip the entire time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back