Name me one or two great MMA or real life crime books please

If I've got this right, this is an MMA book AND a true crime book.

Securitas robbery involving Lee Murray.

ive had that BJM book on my kindle for awhile but cant seem to power through it

It's just not a solid read.

Hey, if you have a kindle, look up Art Davies' book. It's called "This is Legal?!" or something to that effect. I wanted to buy it but it's not available in stores, only those kindle things. It's his story of the early UFC events, could be good.

i was looking for that book in B&N recently. im gonna check it out, thanks

If you are a fan of The Wire and Homicide: Life on the Street than you will love David Simon's book "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets". It's a 1991 nonfiction book written by David Simon describing the year of 1988 spent with detectives from the Baltimore Police Department Homicide Unit while working for the Baltimore Sun.

Homicide: Life on the Street was originally based on the book and the first two seasons have many characters and story lines lifted from the book. David Simon was a producer and writer on the show. Also the book was a huge inspiration for Simon himself creating the now classic The Wire.

I've the book a good three times already and I enjoyed it every single time. Its an eye opening, no holds barred account of the Baltimore police and especially the detectives unit and how they went about their day to day lives working in the inner city and the homicides they had to solve. What I like about it is the fact David Simon had full access to them and was able to report what he saw without anyone telling him what he could and couldn't put in the book. Definitely worth reading

As for serial killers, if you are fairly new to reading up on them, I suggest The Who, What, Where, How, and Why of the World

Ideal, thanks guys.

Some creepy shit right here (which to me the movie did not do justice).

105760.jpg

Either of Forrest's books will do. He's out of his mind.

Chael's book isn't bad either.

I liked 'Black Mass' by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'neill. If you don't know, it's the story of Whitey Bulger, how he came to power in The Winter Hill Gang and turned informant. I know the movie is coming out soon, but the book is always better than the movie (even though the movie looks sick.) You get a look at both the criminal side and the FBI/law enforcement side.

I was disappointed in John McCarthy's book. And while most found it funny, I didn't care much for Forrest Griffin's Survival book, the name of which is eluding me now.

I thought both were going to be good reads, but they fell short.

Be Ready When the Shit Goes Down

It was an okay, leisurely read. His first book, Fight, was a best seller as well and better received critically.

another vote here for "homicide" by david simon, great book and superbly written.

my favourite "true crime" book though is "The Executioners Song" by Norman Mailer. its about Gary Gilmore, a career criminal who has been in an out of jail his whole life and who ends up killing 2 people in cold blood. he is sentenced to death but the sentence is commuted to life in prison as no one had been executed in the US at that point for years. he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in prison though and he wants the death penalty. (I know this seems like i'm spoiling the story but all this is stated in the blurb on the back of the book).

the first part of the book deals with his life up to the murders, his relationships and his family, etc, and the second half deals with the trial and his attempts to be given the death penalty.

Its a really long book (about 1000 pages from what I remember) but I can't recommend it highly enough, its fascinating and incredibly moving. Won the Pulitzer prize too.

My favorite was the real life account of what the movie Donnie Brasco was based on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_Brasco:_My_Undercover_Life_in_the_Mafia

220px-Book_cover_for_Donnie_Brasco%2C_My_Undercover_Life_in_the_Mafia.jpg

The man had balls of steel and was a true bad-ass, I felt Leonardo, even though he is a great actor, was a terrible choice to portray Mr. Pistone. I highly recommend the book. What he did to single-handedly tear apart the "mob" is incredible.

Brascoo.gif

If I've got this right, this is an MMA book AND a true crime book.

Securitas robbery involving Lee Murray.

Great book!!!

I just finished 'Flawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History' and I would also highly recommend it. The Shankill Butchers: A Case Study of Mass Murder Is good but disturbing also

I enjoyed The Foxcatcher. It's a little bit of both for your criteria.

My favorite was the real life account of what the movie Donnie Brasco was based on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donnie_Brasco:_My_Undercover_Life_in_the_Mafia

220px-Book_cover_for_Donnie_Brasco%2C_My_Undercover_Life_in_the_Mafia.jpg

The man had balls of steel and was a true bad-ass, I felt Leonardo, even though he is a great actor, was a terrible choice to portray Mr. Pistone. I highly recommend the book. What he did to single-handedly tear apart the "mob" is incredible.

Brascoo.gif

Had forgotten all about that film, I'll probably check out the book now, thanks.

I take it you mean Johnny Depp rather than Leonardo though?

Had forgotten all about that film, I'll probably check out the book now, thanks.

I take it you mean Johnny Depp rather than Leonardo though?

Thank you, you are correct, but he - as talented as he was - was a bad choice too. The real Mr. Pistone was a big, weightlifting Italian tough guy, nothing like Depp. Thanks for the correction tho.

I liked the BJ Penn, Brock and Randy book.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Bringing Down the House, while not as hardcore as others mentioned in the thread, is a great read. Super fast and fun imo. Never saw the movie and I don't intend to, but the book is classic.

Back