Name Boxers with styles who would do well in MMA/UFC?

EnglishBarbour

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Most casuals believe Mike Tyson would be successful in MMA but I believe his style isn’t suited at all. A lot of its to do with his head moves. He’s be kneed and kicked in fight in MMA. Where as someone like Larry Holmes as a more upright safer style that might work in a stand up MMA fight.
Interested in everyone’s Thoughts on

Ali
Lewis
Holyfield
Frazier
Canelo
GGG
Froch
Ward
Duran
Leonard
Anyone who you guys believe would do well in MMA/UFC in a stand up fight.

Tyson would actually do well if he trained for MMA. His low center of gravity would give him good TDD. His speed and power would be too much for UFC HW to deal with. His head movement would actually be a plus in the UFC. He's too quick and has great timing so if he trained for kicks, it's unlikely he'll get caught by one. Even the great Edmond Tarverdyan preached head movement in the once in the human time athlete Ronda Rousey

Where as someone like Larry Holmes as a more upright safer style that might work in a stand up MMA fight.

That's just begging for a sloppy ankle pick James Toney style

Julian Jackson

DrearyRedAmericanwirehair-max-1mb.gif

AjarNecessaryGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Most casuals believe Mike Tyson would be successful in MMA but I believe his style isn’t suited at all. A lot of its to do with his head moves. He’s be kneed and kicked in fight in MMA. Where as someone like Larry Holmes as a more upright safer style that might work in a stand up MMA fight.

Ali
Lewis
Holyfield
Frazier
Canelo
GGG
Froch
Ward
Duran
Leonard

Hearns, Hagler

Ali because he boxed long from what I've heard. I think a boxer that uses range and foot with usually excels.
Everyone that says 1 takedown and smashed and 2 leg kicked and smashed haven't realized there are dozens of fighters that only use boxing
Yep that’s my way of thinking also. The outside boxers who throw straight shots. Like Ali, holmes, hearns, Leonard. That Tyson peekaboo style or the Frazier bob and weave style would be terrible in MMA.

Holyfield would also be really good also

Ali
Lewis
Holyfield
Frazier
Canelo
GGG
Froch
Ward
Duran
Leonard

Conor McGregor ( sorry had to lol )
George Foreman( I pick him as a favorite)
Ali
Tyson
Sugar Ray Robinson
Herns
Hagler
Julian Jackson
Joe Lewis
Ernie Shaver
Sonnie Liston

Ali
Lewis
Holyfield
Frazier
Canelo
GGG
Froch
Ward
Duran
Leonard
Nah because he dips to the side and angles out when he does all that. Knees come up the middle, Tyson is never in center line. Little details like that matter. The fighters that get kneed level changing only level change going forward. A knee coming up is the same as an uppercut. It's not something boxers don't know how to avoid, once they are familiar about knee techniques it's the same thing as avoiding uppercuts. Rear knee = rear hand uppercut. The switch knee will be seen with the switch and change in footwork. The lead hand uppercut is a lot harder to read and time than knees. The little details matter.

Other than that you have a good list. Add in Crawford, Loma, and Rollie because they have actual grappling backgrounds. Also fighters like PAC, Mayweather, Tank, Wilder, Fury would also do well if they crossed trained.

Last edited:
Terrence Crawford?

Charlo twins?
Crawford for sure, Charlo twins have no grappling background but probably would be able to pick it up if they crossed trained. At least get to a decent level of TDD, they have great clinch work already.

Ali because he boxed long from what I've heard. I think a boxer that uses range and foot with usually excels.
Everyone that says 1 takedown and smashed and 2 leg kicked and smashed haven't realized there are dozens of fighters that only use boxing
Also they fail to realize that these are world class boxers they are talking about. Fighters in mma with less athletic ability and skill are able to learn TDD and kick defense - but they suddenly think it's impossible for world class boxers to learn that. They also tend to forget a bunch of amateur boxers became UFC champions.

MMA put a bigger emphasis on athleticism, so athletic and fit boxers should be advantaged.

Tyson would actually do well if he trained for MMA. His low center of gravity would give him good TDD. His speed and power would be too much for UFC HW to deal with. His head movement would actually be a plus in the UFC. He's too quick and has great timing so if he trained for kicks, it's unlikely he'll get caught by one. Even the great Edmond Tarverdyan preached head movement in the once in the human time athlete Ronda Rousey

That's just begging for a sloppy ankle pick James Toney style

He is too small for HW and isnt Cormier so he would need to be a LHW but is too short and no grapplimg basis to deal with rangey LHWs.

The best boxers coming over would be boxers with good jabs who are outside fighters. Any inside fighter will lose in the Thai clinch and lose via Judo/Sambo/Greco clinch based takedowns and striking exchange to unlearn your base is hard ask any coach such inside boxers would lose a lot and spend years before they unlearn their bad habits for MMA

Yep that’s my way of thinking also. The outside boxers who throw straight shots. Like Ali, holmes, hearns, Leonard. That Tyson peekaboo style or the Frazier bob and weave style would be terrible in MMA.

Holyfield would also be really good also
Holyfield was built like a grappler, so much back muscles. I could see him being a great

Back