Name a Third Candidate who'd Beat Sanders and Trump

elmo_1968

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Suppose Trump and Sanders win their nominations, there are a lot of voters in their parties who don't want to vote for them. Can you think of a candidate who'd pull mainstream voters from both parties and win?

I'm not saying Trump and/or Sanders will get the nomination, it's for the sake of argument. Name anyone you think could win, or say "no one".

Hillary Clinton?
Seems possible, there are probably people who are registered Republican but don't worship at their altar and think Hillary saner than Donald.

I was hoping Joe Biden would run so that if Hillary flamed out there was an alternative to Sanders. O'Malley should be able to fill the role of alternative moderate, but name recognition is kind of everything.

Seems possible, there are probably people who are registered Republican but don't worship at their altar and think Hillary saner than Donald.

I was hoping Joe Biden would run so that if Hillary flamed out there was an alternative to Sanders. O'Malley should be able to fill the role of alternative moderate, but name recognition is kind of everything.

Oh yeah, he'd have no shot due to his name.

Bloomberg might throw his hat in under that scenario. He's got a name, right? It's hard for me to say since I'm from New York so obviously his name is yooge here--I don't know about how famous he is to the rest of you 49ers. But I don't see how he could beat either Sanders or Trump.

Honestly... if Romney entered the race as a socially liberal, fiscally down the middle candidate that still pandered a little to the Christian values camp he'd probably draw a good number of votes. Not saying I personally like the guy but if the same candidate that ran in Mass for Gov. ran nationally he'd be big time frustration for R and D candidates alike.

1. Biden
2. Elizabeth Warren
3. Cory Booker maybe? He's young, but boy is he talented. My 60-year old sorta-racist dad even really liked him when he went on Sunday Morning

Honestly... if Romney entered the race as a socially liberal, fiscally down the middle candidate that still pandered a little to the Christian values camp he'd probably draw a good number of votes. Not saying I personally like the guy but if the same candidate that ran in Mass for Gov. ran nationally he'd be big time frustration for R and D candidates alike.

If the GOP nominated a centrist like Huntsman, they'd win in a landslide. But, then again, Huntsman is the only Republican that I respect off the top of my head. Maybe that Sandoval fella over in Nevada.

Suppose Trump and Sanders win their nominations, there are a lot of voters in their parties who don't want to vote for them. Can you think of a candidate who'd pull mainstream voters from both parties and win?

I'm not saying Trump and/or Sanders will get the nomination, it's for the sake of argument. Name anyone you think could win, or say "no one".

hi Elmo_1968,

there are a lot of voters in the Democratic party that won't vote for Mr. Sanders?

where did you glean this information, Elmo?

- IGIT

1. Biden
2. Elizabeth Warren
3. Cory Booker maybe? He's young, but boy is he talented. My 60-year old sorta-racist dad even really liked him when he went on Sunday Morning

Agree on all... agree as well that Huntsman would do well but not win in a landslide.

No one.

However I will offer a further explanation. It can't be someone from either party, or you open up both parties to party insiders running every election as a 3rd party candidate.

No one ever gets to point to Ralph Nader or Ross Perot ever again if someone like Clinton, or Bush runs 3rd party this election.

This leaves political outsiders......I can not think of a political outsider that could be a threat to Trump or Sanders.

Running in a competitive primary, requires the building of a ground game, that would be near impossible to over come.

Biden has sympathy and could benefit from a short campaign. But he's said a lot of stupid things. I think he's been likable in the end and generated sympathy when his son died, but had no shot before that.

Bloomberg - who likes that Nanny-state Napolean? I don't see him exciting too many people

Warren - maybe under normal circumstances, but all those people want Bernie now.

O'Malley? He's at 1% out of the 3 DNC candidates.

Kasich - establishment Republicas and moderates would support him and he is reasonable and moderate enough to pull a good number of moderate liberals. I think he is the best and most centered candidate at the moment.

Kasich - establishment Republicas and moderates would support him and he is reasonable and moderate enough to pull a good number of moderate liberals. I think he is the best and most centered candidate at the moment.
He is by far, he sounds extremely sane and responsible in comparison to the rest minus Bush.

A pre-bridgegate Chris Christie

I kinda think Paul Ryan could be the Obama of the right but he doesn't seem ready to carry the torch.

hi Elmo_1968,

there are a lot of voters in the Democratic party that won't vote for Mr. Sanders?

where did you glean this information, Elmo?

- IGIT

Of course I said "don't want to vote for", and not "won't vote for".

I do not in fact have any statistical backing for my statement, but I know a number of Democrats who would rather vote for someone else, ie "don't want to vote for Sanders".

No one.

However I will offer a further explanation. It can't be someone from either party, or you open up both parties to party insiders running every election as a 3rd party candidate.

No one ever gets to point to Ralph Nader or Ross Perot ever again if someone like Clinton, or Bush runs 3rd party this election.

This leaves political outsiders......I can not think of a political outsider that could be a threat to Trump or Sanders.

Running in a competitive primary, requires the building of a ground game, that would be near impossible to over come.

I understand the hesitancy to run as a 3rd party candidate, but the thread is about who could, and not who would.

While the GOP didn't have primaries in 1912, Ted Roosevelt sought the Republican nomination and when he didn't get it, ran as an independent.

Hadn't thought of him, but I think he'd probably do better than anyone else. I think the last time he ran he tailored his message to appeal to the Republican base and that hurt him in the long run, as an independent he wouldn't need to do that.

Of course I said "don't want to vote for", and not "won't vote for".

I do not in fact have any statistical backing for my statement, but I know a number of Democrats who would rather vote for someone else, ie "don't want to vote for Sanders".

hi elmo_1968,

i'd reckon that most folks who back Mrs. Clinton would have an easy time getting behind Mr. Sanders if he took the nomination. as a Sanders supporter myself who is skeptical of Mrs. Clinton, i'd vote for her with no hesitation when she beats Bernie...

...any reservations i'd have would be instantly quashed just by taking a longer look at the GOP nominee.

i'm sure the converse is true for those who lean to the right.

- IGIT

Back