Name a Third Candidate who'd Beat Sanders and Trump

Kasich - establishment Republicas and moderates would support him and he is reasonable and moderate enough to pull a good number of moderate liberals. I think he is the best and most centered candidate at the moment.
Kasich is not very moderate at all. He's just not a blatant asshole like the rest of the group.

If Trump won the nomination I don't see guys like Rubio, Cruz or Bush running third party at all. It's far more likely a guy like Rubio wins the nod and Trump runs 3rd party (which would really hurt Rubio's chances).

Same goes for the left, I don't see Hillary running 3rd party either. But if she did obviously she would really hurt Bernie.

Pretty weird thread.

Bloomberg is the only realistic option because whoever ran 3rd party would most likely have to fund their own campaign.

There's a lot at play here. It can't be someone like warren, too similiar to bernie and would split votes among the democrats too much and give trump the nomination.

Biden, Romney have the same thing. They are clearly in one party and not the other, either of them running would take votes away from the other parties candidate. They would have the best shot as they are different enough, but still not likely.

bloomberg is absolutely unelectable and represents the worst of both parties. Big government in pointless this but won't spend any money to actually improve your life.

I think the notion that people want someone liberal on social issues and "conservative" on fiscal issues is totally insane generally. Someone like Huntsman would get 2% tops. Are people who think he'd do well thinking that conservatives don't really care about the cultural stuff but just really want cuts to capital gains taxes and taxes on $5-million-plus estates and they're willing to put up with social conservativism to get it? That is just a bizarre take on politics.

If the TS is asking about a third-party candidate, I think there are lots of people with no chance of running who could beat those two. Maybe someone like Bloomberg could, though I kind of doubt it.

If the GOP nominated a centrist like Huntsman, they'd win in a landslide. But, then again, Huntsman is the only Republican that I respect off the top of my head. Maybe that Sandoval fella over in Nevada.

Huntsman is not a centrist. Like Kasich, he just comes off that way to some because he's not a flaming asshole.

Last edited:
Kasich is not very moderate at all. He's just not a blatant asshole like the rest of the group.

If Trump won the nomination I don't see guys like Rubio, Cruz or Bush running third party at all. It's far more likely a guy like Rubio wins the nod and Trump runs 3rd party (which would really hurt Rubio's chances).

Same goes for the left, I don't see Hillary running 3rd party either. But if she did obviously she would really hurt Bernie.

Pretty weird thread.
I wasn't really asking who was likely to run as an independent, but who would win if they did. It was a hypothetical question.

I apologize for making a thread where no one is called a bigot. That must be upsetting to Sherdoggers.

I think the notion that people want someone liberal on social issues and "conservative" on fiscal issues is totally insane generally. Someone like Huntsman would get 2% tops. Are people who think he'd do well thinking that conservatives don't really care about the cultural stuff but just really want cuts to capital gains taxes and taxes on $5-million-plus estates and they're willing to put up with social conservativism to get it? That is just a bizarre take on politics.

If the TS is asking about a third-party candidate, I think there are lots of people with no chance of running who could beat those two. Maybe someone like Bloomberg could, though I kind of doubt it.

Huntsman is not a centrist. Like Kasich, he just comes off that way to some because he's not a flaming asshole.[/QUOTE

Huntsman is not a centrist. Like Kasich, he just comes off that way to some because he's not a flaming asshole.
Not sure who was advacing the notion you describe. I think there are a lot of voters who decide one issue compels them to votes for a certain candidate while thinking his postion on other issues is stupid.

hi elmo_1968,

i'd reckon that most folks who back Mrs. Clinton would have an easy time getting behind Mr. Sanders if he took the nomination. as a Sanders supporter myself who is skeptical of Mrs. Clinton, i'd vote for her with no hesitation when she beats Bernie...

...any reservations i'd have would be instantly quashed just by taking a longer look at the GOP nominee.

i'm sure the converse is true for those who lean to the right.

- IGIT
I'm sure some Clintonians aren't troubled by Sanders but others look at his spending priorities and blanch. Some Republicans can warm to Trump but others have problems w/ his lack of govt. experience and/or confrontational nature.

As for your reservations be squashed by looking at the GOP candidate, you seem to be describing a two-person race and this thread is about a three-person race.

'evening elmo_1968,

I'm sure some Clintonians aren't troubled by Sanders but others look at his spending priorities and blanch.

that doesn't seem quite right. some in the Clinton camp dispute whether the tax revenue that Sanders proposes can bear the weight of the legislation he's proposing....but no Clintonites are looking at his goals with a dim view.

Some Republicans can warm to Trump but others have problems w/ his lack of govt. experience and/or confrontational nature.

i'll have to check my sources that i've read on the matter, but somewhere around 30-40% of the GOP electorate just plain don't like Mr. Trump or are afraid of him.

As for your reservations be squashed by looking at the GOP candidate, you seem to be describing a two-person race and this thread is about a three-person race.

i'm referring to the general election.

- IGIT

Jesse.

Honestly, other than Bloomberg, I can't think of anybody with enough cash and recognition to pose a legit threat.

'evening elmo_1968,

that doesn't seem quite right. some in the Clinton camp dispute whether the tax revenue that Sanders proposes can bear the weight of the legislation he's proposing....but no Clintonites are looking at his goals with a dim view.

i'll have to check my sources that i've read on the matter, but somewhere around 30-40% of the GOP electorate just plain don't like Mr. Trump or are afraid of him.
Really, you're going to claim to speak for every Clinton supporter? As for Trump, pretty much what I'm saying
i'm referring to the general election.

- IGIT

Obviously, so was I.

hiya there elmo,

Really, you're going to claim to speak for every Clinton supporter? As for Trump, pretty much what I'm saying

no, i'm not, but i'm just saying i don't see the supporters of Mr. Sanders saying to themselves, "i won't vote for Hillary, i'd prefer to see Cruz/Trump/Rubio win", outside of a statistically insignificant number of folks.

something that could happen is that Mrs. Clinton's "get out the vote" effort will be less successful than Mr. Obama's results, though.

Obviously, so was I.

so, you're saying (for example) in a Cruz/Clinton matchup, the supporters of Mr. Sanders would be agnostic as to the outcome?

- IGIT

Suppose Trump and Sanders win their nominations, there are a lot of voters in their parties who don't want to vote for them. Can you think of a candidate who'd pull mainstream voters from both parties and win?

I'm not saying Trump and/or Sanders will get the nomination, it's for the sake of argument. Name anyone you think could win, or say "no one".

I honestly don't think there is a single person that would get votes from both sides at this point. This country is way too divisive.

I honestly don't think there is a single person that would get votes from both sides at this point. This country is way too divisive.

A candidate pushing for more-progressive taxation, protecting the ACA and SS/Medicaid/Medicare, more infrastructure spending, a higher MW, and aggressively fighting recessions and who is very angry, anti-immigration, anti-"PC", and an outspoken Christian who openly hates Muslims could pull enough votes from both "sides" to win as long as he had a respectable background.

What I think is coming through in this election is that most Republican voters do not give a shit about "small gov't," lower capital-gains taxes, etc. They're mostly just racists. The hypothetical candidate I described could get those people plus a lot of Democrats who care about the economic message but are either racists themselves, indifferent to social issues or vote based on affect.

hi and good morning TeTe,

i was thinking more about Elmo's OP.

let me ask you a question, TeTe;

let's say Mr. Trump actually does survive the spring and ends up taking the nomination and ends up in a head to head contest with Mrs. Clinton.

let's also assume that the Democrats, like the Republicans, have their share of "low information voters". is it possible that they'd be swayed by Mr. Trump's populist rhetoric, and his "i'll say anything i want when attacking my opponents" approach would swing some Democrats to his side?

enough to make a difference, i mean?

- IGIT

Back