Name a southpaw who can box and brawl, and with great defense

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm trying to look for a fighting style to mimic. Can you name a Southpaw that is so good at out-boxing his opponents, but also can brawl toe-to-toe when needed, and has that good footwork and fast hand speed, with elite defense.

Hagler. There were faster guys and guys with better defense, but not thousands of them.

Whitaker. He could brawl. He just didn’t. But he was special : don’t try this at home.

Guillermo Rigondeaux

For a boxing master class , watch his fight versus Donaire

For a straight up toe to toe fight, check out his recent bout vs Julio Ceja

Guillermo Rigondeaux

Thanks. But do you think Rigo is a better example than Loma?

whitaker & hagler are the quintessential southpaws but i’ll give you a couple unsung guys

Guillermo Rigondeaux

Against Ceja, That’s more of a case of him being older and not able to fight how he used to. Kind of like how Lara has been in more fan friendly fights recently

Hagler. There were faster guys and guys with better defense, but not thousands of them.

Whitaker. He could brawl. He just didn’t. But he was special : don’t try this at home.
Amen to this

Hagler is THE boxer-puncher...and a southpaw

@CodeBreaker

From one aspiring boxer to another....don't try to mimic people that are light years ahead. It's not going to really help.

If you want to take aspects of their games and put them into yours, great, but keep it as simple as possible.

Your coach isn't going to want you trying to pull off stuff that's too many levels above....it's unnecessary and won't help build the foundation needed to even get to the point where you can do that fancy shit

Pick out the most simple things you see the elites doing. Jabbing and angling like Usyk is a little thing i do being a southpaw as well....just jab and angle off the center line. Simple as that. Or if i get enough mojo going, I'll step back away and to my left to set up a long left straight counter.

Basics. Stick to them. Your coach will move you along faster if you just master the simple shit anyway...

Tl;dr...you're better off just being you

Manny Pacquiao

Even though he had a tendency to leave himself open when he got overzealous

this kid looks like a future champ as well though hes got a massive amateur background that you cant really replicate

Reminds me of Salvador Sanchez the way he loads up using head movement and explodes off of the sways

He's slick...those pull backs into uppercuts to the body finishing with a straight left to the head are works of art....Prince Naseem did kind of a version of that but he didn't have the body work of Saldivar

This guy is fucking awesome

Against Ceja, That’s more of a case of him being older and not able to fight how he used to. Kind of like how Lara has been in more fan friendly fights recently

It’s possible that he can’t use his legs anymore due to age, but I’m going to take his word for it and attribute his shift in style due to a change in philosophy to get one last big fight. Also, after quitting against Loma, he seems like he wants to redeem himself. I won’t draw any decisive conclusions until his next couple of fights.

Aside from that, his brawling style is quite unique from a southpaw perspective. Round 5 showcased his technical prowess. While Ceja went for volume and punch sort of mindlessly , Rigo would be quite calculated in his attack. He was able to utilize his throwaway right hook to gauge Ceja response and found that he couldn’t miss with the left uppercut. There is a point in which he throws 3 hard left uppercuts in a row, returns to defense for a second, then follows with an overhand left. Quite the the blend of offense and defense.

I look forward to his next fight to find out if his legs are truly shot or if this new style is due to mentality change, sort of like Masvidal.

Thanks. But do you think Rigo is a better example than Loma?

I would say that his techniques might be easier to pick up than Loma. You can learn a lot by watching his lead hand vs Donaire. It also depends on your height and weight class as well. If your built like Loma, than his techniques might mesh well with your unique style. I suggest to study some old Rigondeaux fights with the goal of extracting one defensive technique he uses to add to your toolbox.He has plenty but one should be a good start.

I would say that his techniques might be easier to pick up than Loma. You can learn a lot by watching his lead hand vs Donaire. It also depends on your height and weight class as well. If your built like Loma, than his techniques might mesh well with your unique style. I suggest to study some old Rigondeaux fights with the goal of extracting one defensive technique he uses to add to your toolbox.He has plenty but one should be a good start.
rigo and loma are freaks though. not easy fighters to emulate. hagler is technique & toughness, through and through

Flash Elorde, but he was less of a brawler I'd say

Back