Name a southpaw who can box and brawl, and with great defense

Johnny famechon is on of the most skilful southpaws I have ever seen. He had a ridiculous jab for a southpaw.

I think Joe Calazghe is one of the most underrated southpaws of all time, dude could box and brawl

rigo and loma are freaks though. not easy fighters to emulate. hagler is technique & toughness, through and through
Yeah both are freaks but just taking Loma, although applies to Rigo too, everything he does is technically correct. You could do well to break down his technique, you just won't be able to do it at the same speed as him or sustain it as long. And while Loma is fast, he's not as fast as say GRJ but he beat Gary with timing and technique. Those are both things you can develop as opposed to your ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch muscles which you are born with.

It’s possible that he can’t use his legs anymore due to age, but I’m going to take his word for it and attribute his shift in style due to a change in philosophy to get one last big fight. Also, after quitting against Loma, he seems like he wants to redeem himself. I won’t draw any decisive conclusions until his next couple of fights.

Aside from that, his brawling style is quite unique from a southpaw perspective. Round 5 showcased his technical prowess. While Ceja went for volume and punch sort of mindlessly , Rigo would be quite calculated in his attack. He was able to utilize his throwaway right hook to gauge Ceja response and found that he couldn’t miss with the left uppercut. There is a point in which he throws 3 hard left uppercuts in a row, returns to defense for a second, then follows with an overhand left. Quite the the blend of offense and defense.

I look forward to his next fight to find out if his legs are truly shot or if this new style is due to mentality change, sort of like Masvidal.
Agree, Rigo trying to please fans. He could still be unhittable if he wanted.

Hagler. There were faster guys and guys with better defense, but not thousands of them.

Whitaker. He could brawl. He just didn’t. But he was special : don’t try this at home.
hagler had some fast hands when he was younger (pre-title) he adapted well to his loss of handspeed and he actually became better as a champ. I've seen video of him around 76 play sparring in ali mode, in that era, everyone was influenced by ali and everyone wanted to be him at some point. Surprisingly, or so i always though, duran's hero was ali, can't think of two more dissimmilar styles.

anyway, these days, most people need to worry more about just learning proper technique before they should be imitating anyone or trying to come up with their own style, not too many fighters have bothered too, and not too many are being taught anymore.

hagler had some fast hands when he was younger (pre-title) he adapted well to his loss of handspeed and he actually became better as a champ. I've seen video of him around 76 play sparring in ali mode, in that era, everyone was influenced by ali and everyone wanted to be him at some point. Surprisingly, or so i always though, duran's hero was ali, can't think of two more dissimmilar styles.

Duran was Haglers hero.......that was some of the promo/leadup to their fight even how much he idolized him. Duran was somewhat of a contemporary of Ali and they were friends, he wasnt really his hero. If there was one it was Sugar Ray Robinson.

Duran was Haglers hero.......that was some of the promo/leadup to their fight even how much he idolized him. Duran was somewhat of a contemporary of Ali and they were friends, he wasnt really his hero. If there was one it was Sugar Ray Robinson.
ali was just about everyone's hero in those days, i heard duran quoted as saying ali was his hero, but i never saw a real quote from him. as far as hagler, never, never heard hagler refer to duran as a hero. Ali was a champion 7 or 8 years before duran. I still remember reading about how when duran filled in for sugar ray leonard on a mock fight between he and hagler on the bob hope show, marvin was casual with roberto and friendly until duran said in broken english "i tall like him, i fight him" after that, marvin was not friendly with duran at all.

difficult to convey how long a shadow ali cast today if you weren't there, mayweather has a lot of guys copying his corny stance and all but it's nothing like ali's influence, in the ring, out of the ring or in the world.

Duran and Ali fought on a few of the same cards...my friend's dad saw both of them one night. I think 1974, boxrec would show when they fought together

Back