Name a better title fight than Gus v Jones

Couture/Rizzo I. Probably my favorite UFC title fight.

Thank you for bringing that up. The first think I thought was Hendo/Rampage and Shogun/Machida 1, but the fight might be at the top of the list.

Rampage-Hendo, Hendo-Shogun, (not a Title fight but was sooooooooo good I had to add it) Wand-Rampage II, and Fedor-Nog. I also have to throw in Hughes-Trigg II

I was unaware that a good fight had to be a razor-close one.

i dont think they necessarily have to be even/close, but i think the most important criteria for an all-time great fight is drama and shifts in momentum.

I came in to say this and the Rampage/Hendo fight.

Couture/Rizzo 1 is still the greatest UFC title fight ever IMO.

Frank Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz says hi

GOAT UFC title fight by a country mile.

Last edited:
Minowa v Soko?
I'm a huge Minowa fan, but that fight was really boring.
But I would actually be interested in reading why you thought this fight was better than Gus/Jones. Not being sarcastic, i'm just curious.

Also, I thought Machida/Shogun 1 was a better fight, but it's close.
Both Machida/Rua and Gus/Jones were robberies (Lyoto/Rua was worst though).
Let's hope for a quick rematch, and this time with the same result as Lyoto/Shogun 2
The rightful champ finally getting his belt \o/

I'm a huge Minowa fan, but that fight was really boring.
But I would actually be interested in reading why you thought this fight was better than Gus/Jones. Not being sarcastic, i'm just curious.

Also, I thought Machida/Shogun 1 was a better fight, but it's close.
Both Machida/Rua and Gus/Jones were robberies (Lyoto/Rua was worst though).
Let's hope for a quick rematch, and this time with the same result as Lyoto/Shogun 2
The rightful champ finally getting his belt \o/

Minowa v Soko wasn't a better fight that Gus v Jones. The ending was hilarious, and with the almighty super-hluk belt on the line, and Minowa's big entrance etc.. It was just a funny/cool fight. Although the fight did not "matter" in a sporting sense as much as others, it's still a JMMA classic. Look at the field that tourney started with, and Minowa won it LOL. And yes, there was 5 straight minutes where neither fighter did anything in the fight, I know.

Bendo v Pettis 1

Lyoto v Shogun 1

Maynard v Edgar 2+3

Mighty Mouse vs Jon Dodson (FotY so far, imo)

Its the best LHW title fight I think.
I still prefer Edgar / Maynard 2 & 3 and Hughes / Trigg 2.

Machida v Shogun 1
Hendo v Wand
Shogun v Hendo
Nog v Shogun
Rampage v Hendo
Rampage v Wand 2
Chuck v Wand

Silva-Sonnen I. It had that same feeling of seeing a champion looking beatable for the first time but it also ended with a spectacular come from behind finish.

That was great.

Some of my choices are:

Coleman vs. Severn was amazing because it was the first fight for an actual UFC Title and there was so much anticipation going into the match seeing two such legendary wrestlers fight each other!

Coleman vs Maurice Smith - people thought Coleman was invincible and there was no way a kickboxer could withstand Coleman's ground and pound attack whichat the time included headbutts.

Couture vs. Maurice Smith - it was great to see a wrestler win the title back and it was the start of Couture's first of many title reigns.

Couture vs. Tito Ortiz - the fight where Randy literally spanked Tito and Tito was crying.

Matt Hughes vs. Carlos Newton - one of the strangest and interesting endings to a fight ever and the start of Matt's 820 day title reign!

Dan Henderson vs. The Axe Murderer Wanderlei Silva - seeing Henderson knocking out Silva, being the man to finally stop Silva's long reign as champion was very exciting.

Rampage vs. Liddell - seeing Rampage be the guy to finally dethrone Chuck was awesome.

Couture vs. Liddell - a trilogy of fights - I don't know which was the best, maybe the first where Randy won and if not, then the second fight where Liddell won.

Brock vs. Carwin - such an amazing comeback and a testament to how tough Brock was.

Brock vs. Mir II - the importance of main eventing UFC 100 really put a lot of tension on the line and there was the back story of Mir defeating Brock in Brock's first UFC fight despite Brock dominating the vast majority of that fight. Brock's post fight interview was the most fun, most controversial post-fight interview ever where he vowed to have a Coors Light despite Bud Light Sponsoring the event and also saying he "might just get on top of my wife later on tonight."

Shamrock vs. Ortiz I - the build-up to this was amazing and it delivered.

Finally, although it wasn't a fight for The UFC Title it was a fight for the winner of the second "Ultimate Ultimate" tournament - Tank Abbott vs. Don Frye - it started out with Tank making a mess of Frye's face with some hard punches and finished when Tank slipped and Frye seized the moment by applying a choke for the submission. I don't know if a fight like last night can really match the kind of drama that is built up by watching a guy make his way through a night long tournament and have to defeat three fighters in that one night to become the champion.

Minowa v Soko wasn't a better fight that Gus v Jones. The ending was hilarious, and with the almighty super-hluk belt on the line, and Minowa's big entrance etc.. It was just a funny/cool fight. Although the fight did not "matter" in a sporting sense as much as others, it's still a JMMA classic. Look at the field that tourney started with, and Minowa won it LOL. And yes, there was 5 straight minutes where neither fighter did anything in the fight, I know.

Ok I get what you're saying ^^ It was indeed a glorious day for JMMA fans. Minowa was such an underdog in this fight, and it was before Sokoudjou really hit rock bottom, he was still considered "somewhat" a top fighter.

I remember at the start of the tournament, thinking that the finale will probably be Mousasi vs Soko, but that was THE tournament for Minowa to win. He really won me as a fan by taking all these "giant slaying" fights, and for never backing down even when he was mismatched in his own weight-class.
Hong Man Choi (he was a shadow of his former self, sadly...), Bob Sapp, Sokoudjou...
And that hilarious belt.
Ok I see what you mean, in term of context I was also excited as hell, and it's a tournament I never get tired to watch once in a while.
But the Minowa/Soko fight itself is probably the fight I like the less in it. Save for the hilarious ending indeed.

Thank you for answering my question, have a nice day.
RF

Back