Nailed my first submission in free-rolling today!

KaosX

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I started Gi BJJ on 8/12/2010. I had only done a class on showing bjj positions and exercises before that. No rolling.

So on 8/12 I started classes, didn't get to roll that night but did at an open mat two nights later.

I've been studying hard and showing up for every class work doesn't conflict with (about 6 classes now - 5 gi, 1 no-gi)

I finally pulled my first submission today about 2-2.5 weeks into training. I was so psyched after losing so many (every) time before.

We were rolling and I passed guard successfully in free rolling that time too, eventually he ended up in my guard, I pushed an arm out and was going for the triangle...before I could lock it in he started to stack me - hard. I remembered something we learned two classes before where if the triangle fails you can still get an armbar when they try to stack. I reached in, grabbed his lapel - pulled him into and the away from me in a "V" motion and secured a standard armbar. Had it held tight but he was holding out, took my hips off the ground and scored my first sub. I was psyched!

Still pretty pumped about it.

I rolled with 3 other guys and promptly had my head shrunk to normal size again.

I love Jiu-Jitsu.

I have enough time in my new Gi to finish the review on it too.

1st one is a great feeling, Congrats. Many more to come.

I remember kissing my first girl in fourth grade. At the time it was a very big deal. So I can relate.

I remember my first sub as well. It was like I just realized I had special powers...

Luckily, you got your head screwed on straight afterwards.

I think this is a better type of thread than a first stripe thread...

very sweet! i'm much more of a positional grappler, and don't really go for subs all that often. is that weird? I need to work on trying to finish people more. I am way to content to just try to win the positional game again and again.

Rear Naked Choke was my first. I couldn't believe the guy was tapping my arm.... It was kinda unbelievable to me. I thought to myself, i probably got lucky...But as the weeks went on, I did the same sub on a blue belt. I don't know if to call it a RNC. I had my hooks in and was going for the choke. But he was blocking like crazy. So I just cranked the 'choke' across his mouth and nose and just cranked the shit out of his face that way. And he tapped. And again, i couldn't belived he was tapping me and it wasn't even a choke....I was like, what do I call that.. I made up my own stupid name for it,...a 'side face crank'

very sweet! i'm much more of a positional grappler, and don't really go for subs all that often. is that weird? I need to work on trying to finish people more. I am way to content to just try to win the positional game again and again.

Nothing wrong with that, I too prefer to get and keep position but there are subs that can keep you on top like DWL, Chokes etc...

Nothing wrong with that, I too prefer to get and keep position but there are subs that can keep you on top like DWL, Chokes etc...

thanks man, ....hate to sound like a newb, but what's a DWL?

Its time to open up and not be afraid of getting tapped. Not sure about you, but i find alot of guys grapple like that just don't want to get tapped out. It stymies there game after awhile.

Open up man!!! go for the move and to hell with what happens after! I think you will find grappling way more fun once you start doing this.

You can always play your tight top/positional game when its a more serious roll, but open it up man! Dive for something!!!! spin into something!!!!! have some fun!!!!!:icon_chee Once you miss it and lose position, have fun trying to figure out how to regain your dominant position. It will do wonders for your game!

If you're holding people down and not getting tapped, you are actually losing imo.

Last edited:
I don't know if to call it a RNC. I had my hooks in and was going for the choke. But he was blocking like crazy. So I just cranked the 'choke' across his mouth and nose and just cranked the shit out of his face that way. And he tapped. And again, i couldn't belived he was tapping me and it wasn't even a choke....I was like, what do I call that.. I made up my own stupid name for it,...a 'side face crank'

LOL, its called a dick move!:icon_chee Honestly, i wouldn't do that much if your just doing free rolling with partners from your school. Cranking and ripping is considered cheap at alot of schools. I mean you can crank a little to open something up, but to try and just crank the head and neck to get a tap is kinda a no-no tbh.:wink:

I will say this, just getting that dominant position like that is great@!!!!!!!

I always try for subs. I really have no intention of competing in sport jiu jitsu, so I view jits through a self defense/ MMA lens. I've only ever done no- gi jits, and I really enjoy all the other aspects of the game.

That said, I feel as though the only merit of dominant positions are that they give you better access to subs & ground strikes, and although I do value position, I feel like I should either be getting my weight on them and making them miserable, or trying for a sub. I especially like side control, particularly keylocks and the occasional far- side armbar if they're defending well.

But yeah, congrats TS. I actually used to wrestle with my buddies back before I ever trained, so my first submission involved severe rug burn and beer. We also used to do sub grappling on the wrestling mats at school haha

I remember my first beer.

But seriously congrats man here's to many more!!!

LOL, its called a dick move!:icon_chee Honestly, i wouldn't do that much if your just doing free rolling with partners from your school. Cranking and ripping is considered cheap at alot of schools. I mean you can crank a little to open something up, but to try and just crank the head and neck to get a tap is kinda a no-no tbh.:wink:

I will say this, just getting that dominant position like that is great@!!!!!!!

thats exactly what i was going to say. Cranks are a jerk move. Kind of like slamming out of subs when youre rolling with team mates or whatever. Unless youre training for a fight and going pretty hard you shouldnt do neck cranks or slams. On top of it being a jerk move, you can also really hurt someones neck, because a lot of times people wont tap to "pain moves" and then their neck will be sore for a week because they dont realize you are damaging them.

Have no fear super jerk is here!

*Flys in*

He probably gave it to you

*Flys out*

Its time to open up and not be afraid of getting tapped. Not sure about you, but i find alot of guys grapple like that just don't want to get tapped out. It stymies there game after awhile.

nah, it happens enough for me not to worry about it. especially after a couple of rolls. with my current cardio condition, it's part and parcel.. lol.

Open up man!!! go for the move and to hell with what happens after! I think you will find grappling way more fun once you start doing this.

you know what man, you are absolutely right about this though. I never thought about why I don't go for armbars or a host of other joint locks and pain subs I used to use before my looong sabbatical.

I figured it out, though thanks to this conversation.... and it's because I'm just having fun, trying to lose weight and get in shape doing something I love, not really worrying about competing, since I have the bar to think about, so I have zero desire to hurt anyone.

you're right though, I'm just going to go for stuff... I'll be respectful as always, and be careful, but I'm just gonna do it.

the best place for me to start is on chokes since I suck at those pretty much, with the exception of the head and arm from side mount. at some point I'll start going for joint locks again, but I just have a hard time with trying to hurt whoever I'm grappling with. I don't use pain moves or ever even attempt shit like knee bars, kimuras/DWL (lol, thanks for that info) ....I need to get over that at some point.

You can always play your tight top/positional game when its a more serious roll

on this point, I actually play guard on every single roll, with very few exceptions. I really want to play with sweeps and diff guard off my back, something I didn't do the first time around. so yeah I start from my back 99% of the time.

Dive for something!!!! spin into something!!!!! have some fun!!!!!:icon_chee Once you miss it and lose position, have fun trying to figure out how to regain your dominant position. It will do wonders for your game!

I like this.... I'm gonna do this more definitely. I have so much to work on with chokes, I'm really going to start attacking much more, just going for them like ... fuck it! thanks man, I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Back