Nailed my first submission in free-rolling today!

Well I'm heavier than all the guys in the class and the first day the instructors told me - it's tough for big guys to learn when the right time for technique and the right time to apply their weight it - we prefer people learn the technique above all else - so I typically avoid moves that my weight gives me an advantage at..like knee on belly from a guy my size (about 6' - 300lbs) can be a submission. So right now I avoid it and I'm focusing solely on technique.

thats exactly what i was going to say. Cranks are a jerk move. Kind of like slamming out of subs when youre rolling with team mates or whatever. Unless youre training for a fight and going pretty hard you shouldnt do neck cranks or slams. On top of it being a jerk move, you can also really hurt someones neck, because a lot of times people wont tap to "pain moves" and then their neck will be sore for a week because they dont realize you are damaging them.

Isn't what he did a sub? The guy tapped. In a competition, he would have won. If the other guy did not tap because he was getting his face cranked and not choked, he a total moron. Chokes make a person stop breathing. Joint locks is a way to break bones. Cranks is a pain sub. I would think chokes and joint locks are way more dangerous. A tap is a fuckin tap.

In training people get hurt. I rather have a sore neck than broken bones.

Isn't what he did a sub? The guy tapped. In a competition, he would have won. If the other guy did not tap because he was getting his face cranked and not choked, he a total moron. Chokes make a person stop breathing. Joint locks is a way to break bones. Cranks is a pain sub. I would think chokes and joint locks are way more dangerous. A tap is a fuckin tap.

This is kind of weird way to look at BJJ in my opinion. Yes, in a competition he would have won. But would he not have learned more by trying to finish an actual technique rather than just crushing a training partners face? it

Never_go_full_retard.jpg

When you get your first Triangle, you'll feel like a king, lol.

my very first sub was a kimura while rolling. congrats on the sub!

very sweet! i'm much more of a positional grappler, and don't really go for subs all that often. is that weird? I need to work on trying to finish people more. I am way to content to just try to win the positional game again and again.

I'm almost the same way; but I'm not going to say I'm content with just holding position so much as I just feel more comfortable taking my time and properly making sure the sub is set up. If I got you in scarf hold (w/ underhook of course) you ain't going nowhere.

Also, to stay somewhat on topic, my first sub was an americana from mount.

When you get your first Triangle, you'll feel like a king, lol.

I almost had it, was going for that first but my timing was all off and he postured right out of my attempt.

Im not saying not to do them in comp. Heck yea crank away or slam away if its allowed. Im talking in the training envorionment. You dont want to hurt your training partners. If youre going to break someones arm in the gym for not tapping, you are definately doing something wrong. If youre hurting your training partners in a gym setting, someone better is either going to hurt you, or youre going to run out of training partners. A crank is something you can apply anytime. You dont really NEED to practice it. Like the guy a few below you said, you should practice more on learning the technique while youre in the gym. If you cant finish it in COMP crank away. Do you also punch and kick your training partners full bore when youre sparring? I dont. Like i said, unless youre training hard for a fight or sub comp, there is no need to apply moves that are going to hurt someone. For me, even if an arm bar or joint lock doesnt hurt in class im going to tap if i know i wont get out. Lots of people however wont tap to pain moves that they dont think will damage them, its just uncofortable. Then, the next day they realize shit, my neck hurts, i cant train for a week. Its bad for them, its bad for you if they cant train with you right?

My first was a triangle on a guy who was just as new to it as I was so it didn't mean much.

Oh come on man, a crossface from the back while rolling? That's bush league. I think it's even bush league in competition. Same with the garbage forearm to the neck submission. Total trash. It's like playing with slop in pool. Really? Is that all the game you have?

The real reason is those type of subs don't feel that great to win with. Yeah some guy might tap but you don't really feel that great after. It's just a cheap way to win. Land a say triangle in competition though? What a feeling..

Wow, you hit your first sub and ran home to make a thread about it on Sherdog?

No one really gives a shit man.

I care :-]. Don't be an asshole!

Good job on getting your first sub, keep on learning!

Listen, you don't need to be excited for his submission but you don't need to try and bring him down by telling him no one gives a shit. It's not like he's going around telling everyone he's the man now since he scored his first sub. Then you might have a reason to tell him to quiet down. But that's not what happened. Do us a favor and remove your negative comments from the forum.

I for one was very excited the first time I pulled off a submission in free rolling. It's a fantastic moment that I think most people tend to remember to some degree. I certainly remember getting my first submission on one of our blue belts. It's great to realize that the art that we're doing really works. :D

Thanks guys, and I take comments like the one mentioned with a grain of salt, it's the internet.

Gi class tonight!

Back