Naazim - "Only two fighters were bad matchups for PBF."

i agree with him

paul was 6'2, threw 100 punches a rd & had a iron chin..floyd would have had to work very hard to get the win

i agree with him

paul was 6'2, threw 100 punches a rd & had a iron chin..floyd would have had to work very hard to get the win

I agree. I also think Tony presents a similar problem. Pac kept him off with overwhelming offense, maximizing his hand speed adv. Floyd has the hand speed, but his offense isn't as overbearing. However, Tony's feet are likely too slow, his defense too patchy, and his punch to inaccurate.

Also comes down to how hard Floyd's punch truly is. I feel it is underrated, and probably a single Floyd punch is > than a single Pacman punch... but Cotto landing flush didn't stop Tony, Manny landing a million shots didn't, so I don't think Mayweathers counter's would completely shut Tony down like he did vs the Ghost. But again, Tony is too slow, and would get DEC.

Williams though is faster with his hands and feet than Tony, AND has more height and reach. Even has a higher output that Tony... so I give Williams a better chance than Margarito.

After Williams beat Margarito in 2007 I swore up and down that he'd beat Floyd, and then the first Quintana fight happened... and obviously since then Martinez gave him fits with his movement and then Lara looked like a million bucks by sticking and moving. So, no, now I don't think that Williams would have beaten Floyd.

Mayweather would of completely dominated Margarito. It wouldn't of been close.

How does Maro hit Floyd? He's simply no where near fast enough to connect in the center of the ring and if Floyd did let him tee off on the ropes, he'd be hitting hips and arms whilst getting countered.

Floyd isn't Miguel Cotto, he knows how to fight on the inside, he knows how to hold and turn off the ropes and most of all he's much more athletically gifted. He could pot shot Margarito for 12 rounds and not lose a breath.

Let's face it, the only reasons Margarito had success against Cotto was because he got tired, when he wasn't tired, he was dominated. Mayweather doesn't get tired. He'd tax that arse for 12 rounds straight.

Mismatch.

Gee whiz these are also the two biggest weight cutters of the era. Coincidence? Of course not. Nothing about how these two fight would challenge Floyd. The only problems they would present is being 20 lbs heavier.

So, no, now I don't think that Williams would have beaten Floyd
this x1000000
im sorry but there is no way williams would have beaten floyd
sure he had a high work rate, but thats about it and your workrate drops when your eating counters and not landing anything

margo on the other hand would have been interesting

Margarito wouldve been the first to TKO Floyd. Styles make fights, his reach and pressure would have been too much THEN, theres a reason he turned down 6 million. The Tony that fought Paq and Cotto the 2nd time would probably lose a decision. :(

Margarito with some cement in his gloves would have been a tough night for Floyd. :icon_evil

Margarito wouldve been the first to TKO Floyd. Styles make fights, his reach and pressure would have been too much THEN, theres a reason he turned down 6 million. The Tony that fought Paq and Cotto the 2nd time would probably lose a decision. :(

What would Margarito's reach do for him? Margarito doesn't fight from long range. Castillo was a better pressure fighter than Margarito. He was better in all aspects except size (he was significantly faster, harder to hit, a better puncher and better at cutting off the ring). When Floyd fought him intelligently, he beat Castillo without too much trouble. Cotto was battering Margarito off of the backfoot until he gassed (as Cotto tends to do when he is fighting that kind of fight). Mayweather is miles better off of the backfoot and he doesn't gas. Margarito would put some pressure on Mayweather and make him work more than usual, but I really don't see him beating Floyd.

Margo would have been a tough fight for Floyd?! Shiiiiiiiiiit. Floyd would have brutalized him. When are people going to finally get it....you don't beat Floyd by just pressuring him...especially by pressuring him with the limited skill set of Tony. Margo is about as accurate a puncher as a drunk frat boy. I don't care how solid his chin was or how much stamina he had....Floyd would absolutely shredded him. I usually respect Naazim's opinions...but he way fucking off on this one.

Margo would have been a tough fight for Floyd?! Shiiiiiiiiiit. Floyd would have brutalized him. When are people going to finally get it....you don't beat Floyd by just pressuring him...especially by pressuring him with the limited skill set of Tony. Margo is about as accurate a puncher as a drunk frat boy. I don't care how solid his chin was or how much stamina he had....Floyd would absolutely shredded him. I usually respect Naazim's opinions...but he way fucking off on this one.

I think Castillo showed that you can have success pressuring him. You just have to be a great pressure fighter. Margarito is too slow and too limited.

The Castillo fight was over a decade ago, though. And not only that, Castillo was beaten handily in the rematch less than a year later.

Paul and Margarito aren't intelligent enough. Marg is too slow, Paul will never provide effective pressure.

Mayweather just doesn't lose to anyone at any weightclass he was in, from his generation. Tszyu, Forrest, Johnston, Williams, Pacquiao, you name it.

I think Castillo showed that you can have success pressuring him. You just have to be a great pressure fighter. Margarito is too slow and too limited.

Intelligent pressure (Margo was not smart) with a good skill set (Margo didn't have one) might get you limited success against Floyd. Castillo was a better fighter than Tony...and Floyd still adapted. You have to match Floyd physically (speed, timing, and reach)...but more importantly you have to match him mentally (ring IQ, patience, experience).

I think Margarito would at least give Floyd a hard time, Prime tony was quite unique in his pressure fighting and he had a sick chin.

Floyd himself said out of anyone in Boxing History, who he thought his worst match-up was...it was Aaron Pryor. I think that's still accurate.

Sinister, Hearns at WW would've given him all kinds of hell. Can you break down why you think Pryor would be the tougher match up?

Sinister, Hearns at WW would've given him all kinds of hell. Can you break down why you think Pryor would be the tougher match up?

Well, Hearns at 147 was a tough fight for anyone. But I think it's pretty winnable for Floyd considering Hearns' vulnerability to being counter-punched. Even by guys not VERY skilled like Barkley, who just took advantage of the fact that Tommy liked to pose after he did anything successful. That gives Floyd the openings he needs to land, and you didn't have to be a super hard puncher to hurt Tommy. Floyd is also a very good lateral mover, something that gave Tommy trouble. But I'd be VERY concerned for Floyd in the opening rounds, which he tends to lose nowadays.

Pryor is just everything Floyd would have trouble with. He's not just a volume puncher, he had KO power in either hand. And if you hurt him, his only reaction ever was to get pissed off and fighter harder/better. Like Castillo he was also savvy with Boxing technique. See a lot of people don't know that before he got big, in his early days in Mexico, Castillo often fought going backwards. He began as a sparring partner for JCC. Which should set off alarms for anyone that he himself knew how to go in reverse, no way JCC was going to. So no way Floyd moved surprised him. Pyor is like that as well, only faster. He's the dude who would outwork Floyd, and only do so more when counter-punched, and had the foot speed to not be dramatically out-classed by Floyd.

Back