My workout

Quirks

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm open to suggestions, inputs, flaming, etc. whatever it takes to improve workouts/fitness. :icon_lol:

Here's my current workout plan:

Sunday
- DB Row 3x5
- Dead lifts 1x5
- Pull-ups 5x6

Monday
- BJJ

Tuesday
- Cardio work (running or elliptical)
- BJJ

Wednesday
- Pull-ups 5x6

Thursday
- BJJ

Friday
- Squats 3x5
- Lunges 4x6
- Pull-ups 5x6
- 1 Arm Snatches (100)

Saturday
- Flat Bench 3x5
- Incline Bench 3x5
- Decline Bench 3x5
- Flies 3x5
- Dips 3x5

After I my program is critiqued, I will start a log to update my progress. As you can see, I generally lift heavy. Depending how my body feels, I switch to a low weight/high rep for a week or two to give my body some rest. I look forward to the suggestions.

Put DL's before the rows.

Throw decline in the dumpster.

Do some type of standing OH pressing movement on your DL day.

Flies are uber-ghey. Stop doing them.

I'd add some more lifts on Wednsday if you could. Add some OH presses.

Put DL's before the rows.

Throw decline in the dumpster.

Do some type of standing OH pressing movement on your DL day.

Flies are uber-ghey. Stop doing them.

Agreed except on the flies, I would say keep them mildly light and put them towards the end of the day and they won't hurt. Definitely get some overhead work in though, and definitely deadlifts before rows.

isn't it bad to lift those three days in a row? Esp. when one is squats and one deads?

I don't think it's "bad" to lift three days in a row. Due to time constraints, I really don't want to lift on days I have class. Also, I'm too tired/lazy to lift after class. Right now it's too much of a drain.

With my current schedule, I think I've given myself adequate time to recover from my strength training and I don't foresee it negatively affecting my bjj training.

I'm definetly going to add SOHP to my workout. Why is decline ineffective?

I don't think it's "bad" to lift three days in a row. Due to time constraints, I really don't want to lift on days I have class. Also, I'm too tired/lazy to lift after class. Right now it's too much of a drain.

With my current schedule, I think I've given myself adequate time to recover from my strength training and I don't foresee it negatively affecting my bjj training.

I'm definetly going to add SOHP to my workout. Why is decline ineffective?

Decline reduces the range of motion on the lift. When you see guys benching ass in the air they're basically making the lift easier by making it decline. And I don't think it's useless, but with a less than ideal schedule you need to get the most bang for your buck, hit the money exerices, and all those other trite sayings for working your ass off.

you can use the isolation work as pre/rehab type of thing in the end of the workout with higer reps. Rotator cuff work is important for grapplers, also you can use them to correct imbalances, not ment in the physically appealing way but to prevent injury.

Compound first, isolate second if at all.

Your body must be a machine, training 7 days/week.

isn't it bad to lift those three days in a row? Esp. when one is squats and one deads?

I didn't realize that actually. a p/p/s 3 days in a row would be crazy, you definitely need to try to move something around to get a day off from lifting in there somewhere.

Your body must be a machine, training 7 days/week.

Wednesday is really my day off. Who says you can't do a little cardio on your day off. :D I do about 20 minutes or so (light pace) at lunch then do pull-ups when I get home from work. I don't even consider it a workout.

I'm trying to fit everything around bjj. This is the best I could do. If my schedule opens up, I will shift the weight training to where I don't have to do 3 days straight.

Why not switch the Friday or Saturday workout to Wednesday? Or are you trying to avoid doing weights during the week when you are doing BJJ?

Take Sat off. Add OH press to Sunday. Add bench to Friday.

Why not switch the Friday or Saturday workout to Wednesday? Or are you trying to avoid doing weights during the week when you are doing BJJ?

I could move my benching workout to Wednesday. That may work. I hesitate to do that because we generally do alot (alot to me) of conditioning on Monday and Tuesday and I am generally pretty sore. Almost too sore to do strength training on Wednesday. By Friday, the soreness is pretty much gone and I can have a decent workout. I'll see how my body responds and let you know if it will work.

Saturday could be used for open mat or cardio. I'd prefer open mat.

I didn't realize that actually. a p/p/s 3 days in a row would be crazy, you definitely need to try to move something around to get a day off from lifting in there somewhere.

Lol ok good... I thought I was going crazy for a sec since everyone was ignoring it.

lifting weights 3 days in a row is nuts

cant u stagger the lift days and have a day off in between those days?

Wednesday is really my day off. Who says you can't do a little cardio on your day off. :D I do about 20 minutes or so (light pace) at lunch then do pull-ups when I get home from work. I don't even consider it a workout.

I'm trying to fit everything around bjj. This is the best I could do. If my schedule opens up, I will shift the weight training to where I don't have to do 3 days straight.

Depends, if you are freaking sore and burned out from the days before you might reconsider if that's a workout ;)
But maybe I'm just a puss, so try it out and let us know how it goes...

On Saturday you should remove flies, decline and incline bench and add in Overhead press 5x5.

You should have one day of rest to avoid burning out unless you are training for an upcoming fight.

Back