My trips to GGG's camp in Big Bear

ProBoxingInsidr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I have made 4 trips up to Big Bear in the past 3 weeks and have learned a lot about the way things operate. Just thought I would share my observations for those who are interested.

Abel Sanchez: I really like him quite a lot. He is a really interesting guy and what I appreciate about him is when he talks to you, he is really invested in the conversation. He isn't just making small talk. My first day there I literally stood next to him watching GGG and the others train and had like a 90 minute conversation. He loves training, but building houses seems to be a bigger passion. He showed me a lot of things he has built as well as plans for a house he is working on now.

Also, he is really old school. He has a sign inside that says No Women, No Children, No Pets and he means it. However, he did say he would let a couple women train there (but not claressa shields). Also, his guys all train together. So GGG is sharing the ring with Joe Joyce, Alfredo Angulo, Ryan Martin, etc. I felt pretty lucky to be allowed as the 4 times I was there, it was just us. Outsiders rarely are allowed in during training.

GGG: Really quiet and nice guy. His first break when I was there he came up to us and very quietly introduced himself as Gennady, shaking our hand. He also took the time after his session to work a little with Teofimo Lopez who was there with us. I will post a little of that soon. Then when we were ready to leave he went and gave us all one of his hats.

Of course I spent a lot of time there with Jeff Mayweather who is training Charles Martin for his fight with Adam Kownacki. Charles is definitely a different kind of guy, but once he gets comfortable with you he really opens up. He was sparring with Joe Joyce, Andy Ruiz and Travis Kaufmann for the fight. It was interesting seeing all of them work.

Also seen while I was there was Jarrett Hurd.

Here is an interview I did with Abel as well as a couple pics. I will post more over the next day or so if anyone cares.

A couple pics:

39245870_10218219637702050_1271090653513646080_n.jpg

37512099_10218219408016308_7921746498033811456_n.jpg

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the info. I can't watch the video now but I will later when I can.

So I have made 4 trips up to Big Bear in the past 3 weeks and have learned a lot about the way things operate. Just thought I would share my observations for those who are interested.

Abel Sanchez: I really like him quite a lot. He is a really interesting guy and what I appreciate about him is when he talks to you, he is really invested in the conversation. He isn't just making small talk. My first day there I literally stood next to him watching GGG and the others train and had like a 90 minute conversation. He loves training, but building houses seems to be a bigger passion. He showed me a lot of things he has built as well as plans for a house he is working on now.

Also, he is really old school. He has a sign inside that says No Women, No Children, No Pets and he means it. However, he did say he would let a couple women train there (but not claressa shields). Also, his guys all train together. So GGG is sharing the ring with Joe Joyce, Alfredo Angulo, Ryan Martin, etc. I felt pretty lucky to be allowed as the 4 times I was there, it was just us. Outsiders rarely are allowed in during training.

GGG: Really quiet and nice guy. His first break when I was there he came up to us and very quietly introduced himself as Gennady, shaking our hand. He also took the time after his session to work a little with Teofimo Lopez who was there with us. I will post a little of that soon. Then when we were ready to leave he went and gave us all one of his hats.

Of course I spent a lot of time there with Jeff Mayweather who is training Charles Martin for his fight with Adam Kownacki. Charles is definitely a different kind of guy, but once he gets comfortable with you he really opens up. He was sparring with Joe Joyce, Andy Ruiz and Travis Kaufmann for the fight. It was interesting seeing all of them work.

Also seen while I was there was Jarrett Hurd.

Here is an interview I did with Abel as well as a couple pics. I will post more over the next day or so if anyone cares.

A couple pics:

39245870_10218219637702050_1271090653513646080_n.jpg

37512099_10218219408016308_7921746498033811456_n.jpg

Curious to more detailed thoughts on Martin. I used to follow him on Instagram, but he seemed straight up dumb as hell. Lol, had to stop following him.

Curious to more detailed thoughts on Martin. I used to follow him on Instagram, but he seemed straight up dumb as hell. Lol, had to stop following him.
well, he is definitely a different kind of guy as I said. He is hard not to like though. I will have a couple videos featuring him coming up over the next couple days that i will post. Jeff Mayweather says the one thing he really appreciates about him is that he is very eager to learn. i dont mean this in a bad way, but its just like he is still a kid in a large mans body

well, he is definitely a different kind of guy as I said. He is hard not to like though. I will have a couple videos featuring him coming up over the next couple days that i will post. Jeff Mayweather says the one thing he really appreciates about him is that he is very eager to learn. i dont mean this in a bad way, but its just like he is still a kid in a large mans body

Interesting, will see check out the videos. He fell off hard after the AJ fight. Was a terrible business move by his management. At least have 1 easy title defense/pay day before cashing out lol

I wish Kovalev could train there--- or with Usyk's guy (But THAT ain't happening, yikes talk about gym wars)

Damn, I really want to get a picture with GGG lol, he is awesome.

Damn, I really want to get a picture with GGG lol, he is awesome.
there was this one family that was from Kazakhstan when we got there on one of the mornings. they tried to get a picture and were talking with Abel when we got there. They said they had some mutual friends, etc., but were turned away. they were waiting outside for 10 hours to get a pic, even though they were told they would not get one. abel said if they got one then people would be there all the time. but it was ggg's call, not his. eventually the cops came and removed them.

i get both sides of the argument. if i had some fans who were from across the world and waited 10 hours, i probably would have just took a pic with them. but he doesnt want distractions, and that is what it could lead to, so i get that too. over the 4 days i saw several people come by, but it wasn't too bad.

there was this one family that was from Kazakhstan when we got there on one of the mornings. they tried to get a picture and were talking with Abel when we got there. They said they had some mutual friends, etc., but were turned away. they were waiting outside for 10 hours to get a pic, even though they were told they would not get one. abel said if they got one then people would be there all the time. but it was ggg's call, not his. eventually the cops came and removed them.

i get both sides of the argument. if i had some fans who were from across the world and waited 10 hours, i probably would have just took a pic with them. but he doesnt want distractions, and that is what it could lead to, so i get that too. over the 4 days i saw several people come by, but it wasn't too bad.

Yeah until he wouldn’t be able to train in the one place he sets aside for himself.
Side with Gennady he has so much more to lose buy an autograph on eBay or wait till he retires.

Yeah, fans gotta be respectful. They love him because of a lot of reasons, but he worked hard, very hard, to get there. A pic once becomes many distractions and this is the biggest fight coming up. I would have snapped a pic of me standing in front of Big Bear and said "Brush with greatness" and let the man train.

The fact they sieged Abel's gym for 10 hours probably made GGG less inclined. If they caved, people would feel more encouraged to not only show up and ask, but to also not take no as an answer and pester him further until they got what they wanted.

True fans are fans of the man, not of themselves liking the guy.

Yeah until he wouldn’t be able to train in the one place he sets aside for himself.
Side with Gennady he has so much more to lose buy an autograph on eBay or wait till he retires.

Yeah, fans gotta be respectful. They love him because of a lot of reasons, but he worked hard, very hard, to get there. A pic once becomes many distractions and this is the biggest fight coming up. I would have snapped a pic of me standing in front of Big Bear and said "Brush with greatness" and let the man train.

The fact they sieged Abel's gym for 10 hours probably made GGG less inclined. If they caved, people would feel more encouraged to not only show up and ask, but to also not take no as an answer and pester him further until they got what they wanted.

True fans are fans of the man, not of themselves liking the guy.

Yeah, can't say I wouldn't have the urge to ask for a pic with GGG if I ever saw him, but it'd totally be on my mind not to bother him. Knowing he'd be uncomfortable with it would make me very uncomfortable and I wouldn't even want the picture if it was under that sort of pretense.

I've always told myself If I happened to ever see Mike Tyson walking around I'd just let him be. Like witnessing some magnificent beast in the wild, i'd just let the moment pass and appreciate it for what it was.

Also stop taking pictures on a potato @ProBoxingInsidr

Good videos as always. Only thing is that is sucks to see Angulo still training hard like that. Dude looked like he was struggling to pull the trigger, just shadow boxing. Retire please.

I also hope Joyce does not keep his guard like that in a fight. He will get KOed badly. Left arm down, completely wide and telegraphed right hook/hayemaker. Why even practice that lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back