My knees, oh God my knees.

Rubberfist

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After skipping for about a month, I noticed a slight discomfort in my knees. Nothing major, but noticeable. I skip with decent cross-training shoes on, on a carpet covered concrete floor.

Concerned about the pain until I could secure a decent, high-density foam mat, I turned to jogging to build my cardio.

The first run went excellent, considering I hadn't ran in years. However after the second run, my knees were burning. I only ran 3k and wore a decent pair of Nike running shoes.

The next day, tapping on my lower knee joint resulted in a very uncomfortable sensation. I decided not to run or skip for a week. Over the course of the week, the "resting state" discomfort/pain in my knees did decrease, however any time I'd run a few steps, run up stairs, or jump and land flat footed, there was a noticeable aching in the lower knee joint. Not a sharp pain or a jolt, but an ache.

At the close of the week-off (today, August 3rd) I tried skipping. After a few minutes, the aching was noticeable to the point that I was losing my focus and not skipping well.

So I stopped.

Is it normal to experience deep aching in the knees after only two jogs? Am I on the road to having fuxxed knees? Some sound advice would really be appreciated.

that is kind of odd to get some severe discomfort from those things. I would say to eat fish oil or some other supps to help joint recovery but this seems a little bit more severe then the results from fish oil.

You might want to give that a try anyway if you arent on it.
There might be other things that may help joint lubrication better but fish oil works for me as it does many other things as well.

Glucasamine, stay off it for a while, see a doctor?

Jumping rope doesn't seem like it, but it is very high impact. Lay off it for awhile. If you're jogging on concrete, switch to dirt. A treadmill is even better. Less impact. Treadmill running is easier than road work so to get the same workout, run on an incline.

I've been told that when running/jogging, if you are new you need to really ease your body into it.

I was given the example of a boxing guy who decided to run 10 km and ended up fucking his legs up. Apparantly now he can't run without getting shin splints, so take care of yourself.

I've had similar stuff to this before. (in fact it sounds exactly like what I had) You definitely need to lay off it for a while.

Are you stretching/warming up. This can sometimes be caused by overly tight hamstrings etc. I stretch my hamstrings, quads, and pay a lot of attention to specific stretches for my calves and achilles.

Also how heavy are you? I found I was getting this for a while, once I got below a certain weight however, I could run for over an hour every day of the week and I wouldn't get sore.

In case you don't have the same thing, I'd visit a reliable doctor and or physiotherapist.

If your kness are really hurting, try glucosime with chondriton. Try taking at least one day iff between heavy workouts. Also something to consider is there are alot of tendons running over your knee (at least 4, as far as I remember) so always remember to stretch. Always. The days I forget it are usually the days I'm hurting. Keep Training and good luck too ya'
Peace

totally disregard my post. My pain was in my shins, not my knees.

Elliptical cross trainer + Glucosamine + Checkup by orthopaedic surgeon = No pain!

GCSD Fighter said:
Elliptical cross trainer + Glucosamine + Checkup by orthopaedic surgeon = No pain!

Alot of people talking about glucosamine. Bodybuilders commonly take
a combination of glucosamine and chondritin. Recently, however, I have
read some negative things about glucosamine and have stopped taking
it. I was using it specifically for joint issues (I'm 38 and have had two
knee surgeries).

Here's a painfully obvious rule-of-thumb that lots of people don't
obey: if something hurts (even muscle soreness), switch up your
training to work around it, otherwise your problem may become
chronic.

Rubberfist said:
After skipping for about a month, I noticed a slight discomfort in my knees. Nothing major, but noticeable. I skip with decent cross-training shoes on, on a carpet covered concrete floor.

Concerned about the pain until I could secure a decent, high-density foam mat, I turned to jogging to build my cardio.

The first run went excellent, considering I hadn't ran in years. However after the second run, my knees were burning. I only ran 3k and wore a decent pair of Nike running shoes.

The next day, tapping on my lower knee joint resulted in a very uncomfortable sensation. I decided not to run or skip for a week. Over the course of the week, the "resting state" discomfort/pain in my knees did decrease, however any time I'd run a few steps, run up stairs, or jump and land flat footed, there was a noticeable aching in the lower knee joint. Not a sharp pain or a jolt, but an ache.

At the close of the week-off (today, August 3rd) I tried skipping. After a few minutes, the aching was noticeable to the point that I was losing my focus and not skipping well.

So I stopped.

Is it normal to experience deep aching in the knees after only two jogs? Am I on the road to having fuxxed knees? Some sound advice would really be appreciated.

My knees used to hurt from wrestling, and when combined with training they really were becoming an issue for me. I started using Cryogel whenever I has pain and I really dont have any problems anymore. After really hard training they might get sore but the nect day there good as new. Really check this stuff out. I did a review in the G&E forum if you wanna check it out.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=265216&highlight=adino

Back