My Greens and Fiber Blend Recipe

Chad Hamilton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
After weeks of pm's regarding this subject, here is the famous mixture.

Great for cutting, breakfast, general well being, etc...

http://country-life.com/moreinfo.cfm?Category=9&Product_ID=159

http://www.garden-of-life.biz/super-seed.php

http://www.themakersdiet.info/superseed.php

Mix both full strength with 12-18oz of APPLE JUICE in a shaker, not a blender.
Consume rather quickly...within a minute...no shit or it'll turn into a solid mass.
Sometimes apple juice is a little too much so I cut it with a little water.
APPLE JUICE is key. FLAVOR and for its pectin benifits.

Now this isn't a laxative or a cleanser but with regular daily use...upon waking...your movements will be regular..like clockwork regular.

Found it was best to use first thing for breakfast...thats why it's so good for those losing weight.
Fills you up with all the goods you need from whole food sources.

I think that should be all.
Thank you

hmm.. that looks costly.. plus how does it taste?.. i've had green powders b4 especially this one:

http://www.vitacost.com/AmericanHea...er/searchby-PN/searchtext-green/bt-categories
and it tastes like shit! (even with juice--but look at the nutrition facts! :eek: )... so i like greens in pill form..

pill form:
http://www.garden-of-life.biz/perfect-food.php (my friend uses this one)

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=5D46D038A8864DD6B42226F8C98F0D27&PID=617 (currently being shipped to me :wink: but look at the nutrition facts! :eek: )

and for fiber i use the 2lbs container of psyllium husk powder from costco.. $5 :D

I've used everything.
Pills don't do shit.
Tastes awesome.
Costly, yes.
psyllium husk is just the tip of the iceberg.

Best thats available.

That Super Seed stuff looks good. I've been grinding flax seed and adding it to my oatmeal in the morning. I've found that too much psyllium husk is hard on the digestion. If that Super Seed tastes decent, I will try it for sure. The price isn't that bad. Thanks.

Chad Hamilton said:
Apple juice is key.

Much emphasis on "key".

Got it, I'll just throw it in with the protein drink, and a little juice.

NOOOOO!

Only juice.
Never with protein.
That would turn into a solid mold of your shaker if you did that.

Fiber supps and green supps are very peculiar when it comes to their mixability and consistency.

Apple Juice....ONLY.

Cranberry does work...although not at full strength.
I like to cut it with a little water.

100% apple juice ? or the sugar loaded apple "juice" from supermarket?

Chad Hamilton said:
I've used everything.
Pills don't do shit....

Why not? This makes no sense. How is greens powder different when you add a little bit of gelatin or cellulose? That is all that capsules are--greens powder that has been placed into capsules. It is exactly the same as the stand-alone powder. The only discrepency would be if a company heat-sealed the caps, but I've never known of a supplement company to use that technique on green food caps.

Chad Hamilton said:
NOOOOO!

Only juice.
Never with protein.
That would turn into a solid mold of your shaker if you did that...

One option is to just leave out the fiber, and take it separately. The psyllium is the thickening agent. Personally, I don't like chew my shakes, so I take greens powder either by itself or with vanilla whey/casein, then I take psyllium (or currently Benefiber) in about 2 oz. of grape juice. Saves a lot of junk calories by not having to down a lot of juice.

My $0.02...

my big toe said:
That Super Seed stuff looks good. I've been grinding flax seed and adding it to my oatmeal in the morning. I've found that too much psyllium husk is hard on the digestion. If that Super Seed tastes decent, I will try it for sure. The price isn't that bad. Thanks.

Psyllium is largely insoluble fiber; hence, you probably need to start out with small amounts. At times, I have taken up to 30g of psyllium daily, but I didn't start out doing that. Your gut, which doesn't receive much insolube fiber, will need some time to adapt to implementation of this supplement. Start with a mere 5g, and don't increase this by any more than 2g/week.

I don't think the pill can offer the same potency and benifits.
Thats my opinion from trial and error.

It just seems that fiber pills cant touch a powder, same with greens.

Anyhow, I FEEL like it's doing a better job.

Chad Hamilton said:
I don't think the pill can offer the same potency and benifits.
Thats my opinion from trial and error.

It just seems that fiber pills cant touch a powder, same with greens.

Anyhow, I FEEL like it's doing a better job.

From what I've seen, the recommended dosage of the green food pills is considerably less than that of the powder. What you have to remember is that it is the exact same stuff, only with a little gelatin or cellulose membrane around it. In other words, you probably just need more of the encapsulated form to get the same dose. Then again, this is obviously going to be more costly. I try to buy things in the most "raw" state possible, if for no other reason, I get more for the dollar that way.

Same with fiber. A single tablet of Fibercon is 500mg or 1000mg, depending upon which you buy. Recommend dose is usually one tablet. One gram of fiber? Wow. However, most powders recommend a heaping teaspoon which usually equals about 6-8g.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why the variation in dosage recommendation? The pills (generally) don't have some fancy delivery system that improves bioavailabilty. I never really look at dosage recommendations. If a person is supplementing any product, he should be educated about the product to the point that he knows how much he should be using.

Terumo said:
From what I've seen, the recommended dosage of the green food pills is considerably less than that of the powder. What you have to remember is that it is the exact same stuff, only with a little gelatin or cellulose membrane around it. In other words, you probably just need more of the encapsulated form to get the same dose. Then again, this is obviously going to be more costly. I try to buy things in the most "raw" state possible, if for no other reason, I get more for the dollar that way.

Same with fiber. A single tablet of Fibercon is 500mg or 1000mg, depending upon which you buy. Recommend dose is usually one tablet. One gram of fiber? Wow. However, most powders recommend a heaping teaspoon which usually equals about 6-8g.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why the variation in dosage recommendation? The pills (generally) don't have some fancy delivery system that improves bioavailabilty. I never really look at dosage recommendations. If a person is supplementing any product, he should be educated about the product to the point that he knows how much he should be using.

yeh.. i've noticed this too.. strange...

however.. for some brands the powder has "fillers" in constrast to the pill form which has no "filler"... this *COULD* be the reason.. like most all powders have 2g of lecithin per scoop.. and some have maltodextrin...

the best pill form greens i've seen is the garden of life brand.. and it's labeled "no filler ingredients" etc etc... my buddy takes those pills and he said he's never felt better... i don't take them cuz the powders are cheaper and i wana save money :wink:

Garden of Life is good.

The powder Green Food is too thick, way too thick.

I hear he's getting sued for false claims and they also say that one of his HSO (homeostatic organisms) is actually promoting cancer cells.

Terumo- do you know of Jordan Rubin?

I would like to know more about this particular HSO.
I like his theories and concepts about soil organisms and the benifits of his products due to HSO's.

Chad Hamilton said:
...I hear he's getting sued for false claims and they also say that one of his HSO (homeostatic organisms) is actually promoting cancer cells.

Terumo- do you know of Jordan Rubin?

I would like to know more about this particular HSO.
I like his theories and concepts about soil organisms and the benifits of his products due to HSO's.

I don't know of the guy. There are actually very few organisms that are linked to cancer development. However, there are certain strains of bacteria such as Helicobacter pylori that do just that. Helicobacter was sort-of the pioneer strain of carcinogenic bacteria, and its link to cancer was not discovered until 1994. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the tip of the proverbial iceberg, giving way to several bacteria-cancer symbioses in the future.

Long-story-short, I'll Google the guy and get back to you.

Back