My first sub grappling match,

Mr Submission

White Belt
Reaction score
ok, so this is the NAGA New Englands. the one in early May. I had 6 months of training at this point, sadly my coach didn't show up until after the match so Iwas doing this on my own. haha.

The end score was 6-4, him. And I'm the one in the black and blue.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lhm71vVYXYc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lhm71vVYXYc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.

edit: oh yeah. Iposted this in the Pictures and Multimedia thread. And someone gave me the ingenious idea of posting it here. haha

Nice man. You shouldn't have let him get side control and you could have gotten a kimoro several times. Keep up the good work.

Good job. My advice, when in your opponents guard quit messing with his hands and posture up and open his guard. Put your hands on his midsection to control his hips. Controling your opponents hips is crucial.

You did well! Work on some closed guard passing techniques.

^ agreed. Work on your posture in your opponent's closed guard. Posture is EVERYTHING when breaking a closed guard, and yours was sloppy, hunched, and way too easy to break down/control. Keep your back straight, with your weight behind your knees. Then, and only then, can you get your closed guard passes to work, be they from standing guard breaks (with the same good posture), or kneeling ones (knee in the tailbone, making space by rotating your torso, etc.).

#1 Conditioning.
You looked gassed. I think some of your bad form was due to this. Were you winded? No Gi = No Joke

#2 takedown defense
That was pretty bad. Work on it with your coach.

#3 Vey nice reversal
I didn't see it coming and niether did you opponent. Nice job.

#4 Be more aggressive!
Push the action! Submit, Submit, Submit. Make him work.
This is much easier with better grappler's cardio.

Over all: Well done! You didn't look bad at all. In fact, you looked like you should have been out there.

What level/weight was that?

#1 Conditioning.
You looked gassed. I think some of your bad form was due to this. Were you winded? No Gi = No Joke

#2 takedown defense
That was pretty bad. Work on it with your coach.

#3 Vey nice reversal
I didn't see it coming and niether did you opponent. Nice job.

#4 Be more aggressive!
Push the action! Submit, Submit, Submit. Make him work.
This is much easier with better grappler's cardio.

Over all: Well done! You didn't look bad at all. In fact, you looked like you should have been out there.

What level/weight was that?

No I wasn't winded, jsut aggrivated and nervous. And my takedown D is usually really good but he grabbed the sleeve on my underarmour and was pulling it. IF that's an excuse.

It was at lightweight, beginners. So I was around 155 for the match after weighing in at 149.

6-4? looks like 6-0. When you down on points like that, you have to be a lot more aggressive on passing his guard. He past your guard, went to side, then to mount. You probably could have did the same if you were a little more aggressive in his guard to pass. sit up, elbows in. Or try to stand up and break the guard. Don't worry you've only trained for 6 months though. You have plenty of time to learn all of this. Maybe you should have done novice, that would have suited your experience a little better. Good luck in the future.

Nice job dude!

Other peoples pointed some of your mistakes, i can had one. Try to learn some legs attacks, when a guy is in open guard, try to grab a leg and do some nasty thing to it ;-)

The first one is always the hardest! With only 6 months exp. your game will change and advance a whole lot, just keep training hard and smart and go in as many comps as you can until the nerves dont get in your way of winning!

awesome stuff
looked you were going for a keylock toward the end.

--never go for a keylock when inside someones closed gaurd--

its very easy for your oppoent to sweep onto your back.

im confused as to where you scored the points at. it should have been 9-0. takedown 2, pass 3, mount 4. Or does naga have some real fucked up rules that im forgetting

im confused as to where you scored the points at. it should have been 9-0. takedown 2, pass 3, mount 4. Or does naga have some real fucked up rules that im forgetting

In NAGA you get points for attempting submissions, I got 2 for putting him in the guillotine, and I only got two because he had to fight his way out of it, and then I got another two because I swept him from bottom mount.

In the first minute he scored 2+3+3 points on you, how did he only get 6 in the end?

Mount is only 3 in no-gi, I believe.

In NAGA you get points for attempting submissions, I got 2 for putting him in the guillotine, and I only got two because he had to fight his way out of it, and then I got another two because I swept him from bottom mount.

woah I remember NAGA rules being fucked up, but even they do not award points for escaping the mount to a neutral position, their rules even say that. also apparently he should have not gotten points for the mount either. so it should have been 4-2.

those rules make zero sense

woah I remember NAGA rules being fucked up, but even they do not award points for escaping the mount to a neutral position, their rules even say that. also apparently he should have gotten points for the mount either. so it should have been 4-2.

those rules make zero sense

haha, I have no clue. I just looked at the score board at the end and it said 6-4. But nevertheless, I'm proud of myself for getting out there.

Back