My first BJJ class!

Greyscale

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to share the experience from my first BJJ class.

I always liked grappling in general but more as a spectator. I tried some Sambo in my college days but my training was derailed by injuries and lack of dedication.

Now I'm 31, not too athletic but not overweight either. Haven't had much physical activity over last couple of years just to be honest.

Several months ago a BJJ club opened some 5 minutes away from my home. Here, in Moscow, we don't have many BJJ gyms, it's much easier to find a Sambo, Judo or wrestling school. But that very club had genuine black belts from Brazil (with lineage, record n stuff) teaching and I thought myself that's an opportunity I can't sleep on.

First, I went to gym, to met the Brazilian instructors and watch some training process. I like Brazilian culture (music, movies, etc.) and can speak a bit of Portuguese as well. They welcomed me very warmly and I saw that they were actually cool people.

Finally, yesterday I bought a fancy new gi, a rashguard and shiny new white belt and showed up for my first class ever. There were lots of whities like myself, some had stripes, there were also a couple of blues and purples.

The warm-up process proved to be excruciatingly tough for a newbie. I was completely exhausted about a minute into a wonderful process called "shrimping". I thought my familiarity with Portuguese may allow me to catch a break, but in the end it turned out to be quite the opposite: the coach would often approach me and yell at me in Portuguese and pointing out what was I doing wrong. But eventually I even got some praise for getting certain basics right.

After the hell of the warm-up most students were drilling techniques and was paired with a grappling dummy practicing armbars and americanas. Then I practiced some throws with the coach.

Finally, arrived the part I feared most - rolling. But it turned out to be really fun. There was a couple of really hot girls in our class and I got to roll with one of them. She was also a beginner but still more experienced than me. She had a great attitude and absolutely no intention of ripping my head off. She showed me some techniques and we practiced a bit. I had no issue with tapping out to a girl. I also rolled with a couple of other students, also beginners but still lightyears ahead of me. They were friendly and respectful as well so I can say I enjoyed the rolling session. I mostly tried to survive while folks were trying to do their stuff and tapped out as soon as I realized there were no way out.

What stuck me the most is the sense of being a part of a community. That's something I never felt while doing other things.

My body was sore like hell right after the class. My lower back was killing me. It was like I fell from the rooftop and then ran over with a steamroller. But it sure was fun and I will come back soon.

So if anyone is considering taking up BJJ I suggest visiting gyms and talking to people. Chances are you will be amazed.

Nice writeup, glad you had a good time. Learning and applying/practicing the techniques you learn in class is more important than "winning" rolls and will result in faster overall progress - sounds like you have a good attitude. I started at about the same age as you, I think it's advantageous in some ways if you're planning on doing BJJ long-term because you usually develop a style that will keep working for you in later years.

My body was sore like hell right after the class. My lower back was killing me. It was like I fell from the rooftop and then ran over with a steamroller. But it sure was fun and I will come back soon.

So if anyone is considering taking up BJJ I suggest visiting gyms and talking to people. Chances are you will be amazed.

The community in BJJ is unlike any other community I have ever been involved in..

I’m an older guy who started about 15 months ago and train at Renzo Gracie

Everybody I have met is welcoming and friendly and helpful - that includes the “big name” people that train at RGA (as well as Renzo himself)

I have learned a lot and made some very good friends - every day I’m texting people I train with.. and these aren’t people I ever would have met before..

The community is simply amazing

Happy you enjoyed it. Now you just got to stick with it. A lot of people quit.

Back