my ex instructor might be a fake blackbelt how to confirm it?

What about a duck? Or very small rocks?

tumblr_md80ckxwP91qc2bleo2_500.gif

This shit doesn't matter, in his gym he is the black belt. All this stuff is subjective anyway. Some blavks cant beat a competition laced purple. If you learned a great deal from him then it doesn't matter what belt he has or doesn't have

This shit doesn't matter, in his gym he is the black belt. All this stuff is subjective anyway. Some blavks cant beat a competition laced purple. If you learned a great deal from him then it doesn't matter what belt he has or doesn't have

Again I wouldn't pursue it usually but from a business point of view I just had to verify.There are less then 8 blackbelts in Venezuela so it was very good for business to have him onboard as a blackbelt.

I have confirmed he is not a blackbelt or was not a blackbelt between the years 2010 to 2014.

Without having to involve other people. I found a picture with him at a rickson gracie seminar. In the picture he is shown wearing a purple belt. I double checked with some other people at the seminar through photos and you can see he was wearing the purple.

According to the certificate he got from Rickson for attending his seminar, the date is July 23, 2010. I started with him December 2010. I doubt he went from purple to black in a few months.

Also he has not been able to confirm his blackbelt after I requested his lineage.

All that all I have done so far is removed his information as "blackbelt" from our business founders section and removed the ads were I displayed him as a blackbelt. And the website I built for his academy I removed the part that I listed him as a blackbelt.

No response from him yet. I haven't mentioned anything about me checking his lineage. I simply just requested to talk about how the new website design will look. The website isn't live so he is not exposed and I dont plan to make this into a big deal within the jiu jitsu community back home.

I got my answer. And I will speak with him now once he returns my messages.

Last edited:

This here is some ignorant shit, "Some blavks cant beat a competition laced purple." This had nothing to do with the issue. The point is that he's claiming to be something that he is not. Turning a blind eye is in my opinion cowardly. It is everyone's responsibility to stave off the eventual McDojo'ing of BJJ.

Additionally, if you'd take the time to read the tread, OP is in a business relationship with this individual who's Belt as a form of credibility. If the Belt and thus his credibility is found to be false, it can have a profound effect on OP's ability to conduct business.

Easy, tie him with a black belt and throw him to a river. If he floats, then the water is rejecting his phony belt, if he sinks then he was a true blackbelt andhe will be grappling with Helio in heaven.

Finally someone coming in with some science!

damn, how's his skill though

Here is the thing after 3 years of training with him. He never rolled with me or any student other then his wife that I saw or a complete beginner.

His style is old school humaita so basics were important.

He did get mad at me when I used del riva or xguard. And was not happy with techniques that were not taught by him.

Still I figured it was his old school mentality which I respected. It wasnt until last week when I got photos and IBJJF tournaments papers of him. And the IBJJF rankings list with his first last and middle plus mother's maiden name with him as a purple belt 2010-2012 and brown belt 2014 to now. I received this from a former student who heard about my ad and new website and saw our organisation's logo on a ad were he was listed as blackbelt.

Some things make more sense now. Like how he did not let me post pictures of training on social media if he was in a gi. No gi he was happy but not with a Gi cuz I guessed it showed his blackbelt.

And I guess because I had trained at Roger Gracie, Renzo's and Ralph gracie and I have some friends who trained at Gracie Humaita Brazil(at the time) he might have thought someone might have seen those photos who have trained with him.

Last edited:
What would you guys say if someone opened a BJJ school as a purple belt or something and promoted themselves to black belt. Imagine they have a real Donald Trump personality.

"I promoted myself to black belt when I opened the academy."

Ignore the idea that they might not have the skills. For the exercise, imagine he rolls with outsiders and his students are grade / time / skill appropriate.

It happens all the time.
I know at 2 leasts 2 fake bb.
They might have been blue belts then when they arrived in a foreign country.
Looked around and just put a bb on and lied to everyone that ever cared about them.
The problem is not just that they are not that good technically.
They mentally weak and it transfers to their students.
Their lack of confidence makes them more agressive towards others just in case there were doubts.
You can tell who trains under a fake bb by their mannerism and attitude.

It happens all the time.
I know at 2 leasts 2 fake bb.
They might have been blue belts then when they arrived in a foreign country.
Looked around and just put a bb on and lied to everyone that ever cared about them.
The problem is not just that they are not that good technically.
They mentally weak and it transfers to their students.
Their lack of confidence makes them more agressive towards others just in case there were doubts.
You can tell who trains under a fake bb by their mannerism and attitude.

The fear that comes from a lack of confidence in a liars school is no different than the fear that comes from a school run by people suffering from hubris, other than that it is hidden a little more. Lots of black belts suffer hubris, and even if they don't, their classes foster it in their students.

Someone who promoted himself isn't suffering much more hubris than someone who just happens to think the sun shines out of his ass. You threaten to pass a stranger's guard when he is full of pride and watch the dangerous spaz come out.

Humility is a different thing. You don't see humility in every grappling school.

Last edited:
The fear that comes from a lack of confidence in a liars school is no different than the fear that comes from a school run by people suffering from hubris, other than that it is hidden a little more. Lots of black belts suffer hubris, and even if they don't, their classes foster it in their students.

Someone who promoted himself isn't suffering much more hubris than someone who just happens to think the sun shines out of his ass. You threaten to pass a stranger's guard when he is full of pride and watch the dangerous spaz come out.

Humility is a different thing. You don't see humility in every grappling school.

Nope based on my experience.

I have seen both above examples side to side for many years.

It is very a different vibe.

One basically is gone crazy. No one can even ask the lineage because we all know it is fraud.
He is deceiving customers and needs the help of other customers to keep the fraud.

While the other is just pure ego. He will deluded and be a pretender. Trying to live up to a standard that he cannot achieve BUT he is not lying to customers.

Last edited:
Nope based on my experience.

I have seen both above examples side to side for many years.

It is very a different vibe.

One basically is gone crazy. No one can even ask the lineage because we all know it is fraud.

While the other is just pure ego.

Haha, fair enough.

Liars are liars. It's as simple as that. If they will lie to your face about something like this, they will lie about anything. I've had business partners like this in the past and lived to regret it.

If this was my buisness partner I would cut ties as quickly as possible. In the end, if he gets the opportunity, he'll try to fuck you, hard. The guy sounds dillusional and possibly very aggresive.

Liars are liars. It's as simple as that. If they will lie to your face about something like this, they will lie about anything. I've had business partners like this in the past and lived to regret it.

If this was my buisness partner I would cut ties as quickly as possible. In the end, if he gets the opportunity, he'll try to fuck you, hard. The guy sounds dillusional and possibly very aggresive.

He is not aggressive. From what I can see he is just avoiding me and closing off our lines of communications.

Someone else confronted him about some of the proof against him and he simply walked away.

I havent called him a fake yet. I am been trying to get him on the phone or message to discuss business related things. I havent told him yet that I know he lied about his blackbelt. I am hoping to be delicate about it. But so far no communication from him.

But I think he knows that I have looked into his creditionals.

What piss me off the most is that he has all those BS requirements and expectations about his students?

You used to write about it and it made absolutely no sense at the time.
Even the hard core conservative instructors did not even that much requirements.
It used to puzzle me.

But now it kind of confirmed my suspicions.

I agree!! I would give him one chance to do the right thing and if he doesnt, cut ties.

Pretty stupid if you ask me. Since he is a true Brown, in a country with only 8 BB's, his brown would pull plenty of clients and he could be a black within a year or two from now.

and I say he is a faker. I have yet to meet a black belt or any belt that wasn't legitimately earned that would be uncomfortable with their lineage information being public.

This. Any black belt would be proud of their lineage. I haven't met a black belt that refuses to publish at least who awarded them their black belt.

This. Any black belt would be proud of their lineage. I haven't met a black belt that refuses to publish at least who awarded them their black belt.

the black belts who aren't competitive will list everything they have done..
such as they reffed at some tournament..
certified ref
or even did seminars

Back