my ex instructor might be a fake blackbelt how to confirm it?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by kintana, Aug 26, 2015.

1. kintana

kintana Purple Belt

Back in Venezuela I trained under a "blackbelt" for 3 years. And it turns out he might not have even been a black belt when i started with him. He wore a black belt everyday since I met him.

Recently I just got a photo of him during the years I trained with him wearing a purple belt. In the picture he is with Kyra Gracie and you can see he is wearing a purple belt. There is also a IBJJF tournament registration and bracket information in 2011 of him entering the purple belt division.

There is also a IBJJF tournament registration and bracket information of him in 2013 as in the brown belt division.

I met him in december of 2010 and he wore a black belt. Claimed he trained under Rokler Gracie. There are photos of him Rickson and Rolker but you cannot see the belt he has on.

I got contacted by a former student of his asking me to verify that he was a blackbelt.

I know he trained under Rolker Gracie but I dont know if he was awarded his blackbelt by him.

What would be the best way to verify this?

Normally I would let it slide but I actually started a business with him related to jiu jitsu in Venezuela. And I advertised the fact he was a blackbelt prior to 2009.

2. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

3. Russky

Russky Green Belt

I'd contact that coach and politely ask him about lineage. Tell him that you started teaching yourself and you need it for your business.

4. kintana

kintana Purple Belt

I have drafted a email and I am having a friend translate into Portuguese right now.

I was hoping there was a more delicate way to deal with this rather then involving Rolker. He is the only gracie were my previous instructor claims he was promoted by him.

5. kintana

kintana Purple Belt

I am going to try by phone. I tried by chat but he didn't provide with details. I asked politely for our business website's about us section who promoted him to black and how long he has been training.

He did not answer he said he would rather not have biographical information about him on the site.

6. The Polish Pounder

The Polish Pounder Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

Maybe he's reading this thread right now . . .

7. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

and I say he is a faker. I have yet to meet a black belt or any belt that wasn't legitimately earned that would be uncomfortable with their lineage information being public.

8. Russky

Russky Green Belt

Not a good sign :(

In bjj world knowing your lineage is important. If you cannot trace yourself to Mitsuo Maeda anyone can call you a 'fake' black belt. (Although they do not want to trace it one step further to Jigaro Kano ;) )

Promise that you are not going to put it online, but you need that to know in case someone challenges you.

9. Prime Ang

Prime Ang Kang Banned

I'd leave it alone.

10. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Easy, tie him with a black belt and throw him to a river. If he floats, then the water is rejecting his phony belt, if he sinks then he was a true blackbelt andhe will be grappling with Helio in heaven.

11. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

I like this idea

12. kintana

kintana Purple Belt

I was going to it to let it go. The only issue is we have a tournament organisation company under both our names and I have him listed as a blackbelt since 2009 in the company's founders section and I have advertised him as a blackbelt to the ministry of sport of Venezuela. And we are currentl talking to some GI companies about selling some GIs in Venezuela.

If it wasnt for the businesses we have started together I wouldnt have followed through on investigating further. But it is my reputation as a business individual that might be damage if I was promoting my partner as a blackbelt when I had the suspicion he wasnt.

13. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Is that the same guy that has those crazy requirements for his students?

14. Young Turkey

Young Turkey Green Belt

[​IMG]

15. Byrd

Byrd Blue Belt

Easy to fix, remove the part about being a blackbelt since 2009. Just say he is a BB, if he really is one. IMO, you should get a handle on this ASAP or it will hurt your business when, not if, they find out the truth.

16. Throwing Dummy

Throwing Dummy Green Belt

Also, if he floats, it is proof positive that he is a witch. We all know that wood floats, it's indisputable. You can then burn him, legally.

17. Forceof1

Forceof1 Blue Belt

What about a duck? Or very small rocks?

18. StopDucking

StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

If he sinks, his belt is made of wood so it's a paper belt.

19. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Just email rolker.
    Tell him that you want organise seminar with him.
    Tell him that it will be held at his bb gym in Venezuela. Let see if rolker denies givin him the bb. At least rolker got a right to know someone is lying about him.

Then if lying instructor confronts you, just tell him you wanted to organise a seminar for him.

How many degrees does he claim to have?

Let say he claims that he is 2 degrees.

Ask rolker if he can come for seminar and then give third degrees to his bb student in Venezuela.

20. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

That's some expert level social engineering.