My case for an unusual top-ten G.O.A.T. list

@Volador i originally was going to answer to everything you've written seperately, but i think i can sum up what i mean and what the G.O.A.T. for me is about in a much shorter way:

Example #1:
Let's say we have two fighters, who fought exactly equally good fighters with equal bodies:

Fighter A
Height: 6'0"
Reach: 72"
Weight: 170 pounds
Body composition: moderately muscular with low body fat
Record: 20-0, all dominant performances

Fighter B
Height: 6'2"
Reach: 76"
Weight: 170 pounds
Body composition: moderately muscular with low body fat
Record: 20-0, all dominant performances

Conclusion:
I consider fighter A to be the better fighter, because while both fighters are exactly as effective and dominant as each other inside the cage, fighter A achieved the same level of success despite being physically inferior, meaning that his either his technical ability, his tactical ability, or both, is/are superior to that of fighter B.

Example #2:
Fighter A and fighter B have:
  • equal fight IQ
  • equal body measurements and body composition
  • equal mental toughness
  • equal cardio, speed, power, strength and reaction time
  • both records of 20-0, all of which came in exactly equally dominant performances.
Their opponents are of the exact same technical skill, but:
  • Fighter A fought guys with the exact same body as his own
  • Fighter B fought fighters which were shorter and with less reach (their skeletal frames aren't sturdier though, they literally have just shorter bones).

Average opponent of fighter A
Height: 6'0"
Reach: 72"

Average opponent of fighter B
Height: 5'5"
Reach: 65"

Now, the the following problems arise:
Since the opponents of fighter B are naturally smaller men, they'll always give up being equal in at least one of these physical traits (besides reach and height, which they'll give up anyways) compared to the opponents of fighter A:
  • Speed
  • Cardio
  • Muscular strength
  • Weight

Conclusion:
While both fighters were equally dominant against their opposition, fighter A has fought opponents which were physiqually equal to him, whereas the opponents of fighter B - aside from giving up height and reach - also always had to give up at least one of the following things in comparison to fighter B's opponents.
Thus, fighter A has beaten superior opposition.
Since fighter A and fighter B are physically and mentally equal however, it follows that it's an advantage in techniqe, which sets apart fighter A from fighter B.

Hope this gets my logic across in an understandable way, sherbro.
<JackieThumbsUp>

I was gonna leave it here, but I see your thread is back on the first page haha.

I have a bunch of problems, but it boils down to this:

- You entire argument in that post is based on something like "all else being equal, the guy who achieves the same with less reach and height advantages is more impressive".

First of all, none of the fighters on your list are directly comparable like in your analogy. Different weight class, different size of the talent pool, different skills of opponents, different # of champions beaten, different risk of getting KTFO, different # of rounds won, different # of 10-8 rounds, different # of finishes, different # of title defenses, different undefeated streaks, different physical gifts, different upbringing, etc, etc. So your whole point about "all else being equal" goes out the window, because nothing is equal about any 2 fighters in the OP.

- Second, you assume reach and height are automatic advantages, but they're not. You say "Fighter A and B weigh the same and are built the same, but one is 2" taller and 4" longer reach". That's physically impossible, because those inches weigh something. Fighter B is probably skinnier. There's a limit to how beneficial it is to be skinny and long. Hooker performs better at 155 than 145. Oliveira the same. They had more reach and height at 145, but they were worse. There's countless examples of this. Fighter A would be more muscular, which is not "a disadvantage", it's just a different build. The reason Jones' reach is an advantage is because he knows how to use it (which requires skill). If not, Gustaffson, Struve, Bigfoot and Reyes would be champions for 10 years too.

- Another problem is that you reduce "physical advantages" to reach and height alone. Imagine if Max had Cody's chin. You recognize DJ is a freak athlete, which is as much of an advantage as reach or height. Speed, strength, intelligence, chin, power, height, reach, cardio, all have genetic components to different degrees, you seem to think that only height is a genetic advantage. Not to mention there's other advantages that aren't genetic, but are just as predetermined as genetics, like being born into a family of fighters, being rich, etc. I don't think any of them take away from anything, I guess we just have a difference in perspective.

One extra thing:

Last but not least, Johnson stands out from pretty much anyone - barring maybe Fedor Emelianenko - on his list for being always smaller than his opponents, sometimes even being a lot a smaller

- The narrative of Mighty Mouse being undersized at 125 is really, really exaggerated. Always undersized? Not even close IMO, unless you consider 1" or 2" in height "undersized". Look at some of the guys he faced during his UFC reign:

Benavidez x2: 5'4"
Dodson x2: 5'3"
Cejudo x2: 5'4"
Ian McCall x2: 5'4"
Bagautinov: 5'4"
Cariaso: 5'3"
Horiguchi: 5'5"
Wilson Reis: 5'4"
Ray Borg: 5'4"

Not saying Mighty Mouse isn't great, he is, I have him at #5 or #6. Sure, he faced guys that were taller/bigger than him, but the majority of the time he fought guys close to his size. Not even close to what Fedor did (or even guys like Frankie and DC). When he faced significantly bigger guys that were skilled, he lost half the time.

Last edited:
I disagree with a few parts of the list notably Silva being so low and. GSP not being number 1.

however excellent effort and thoughtfulness in the op.

Friend, this list is badly fucked up lol.
And Dominick over Anderson Silva is the best example of it.

Even if Dominick would not have had such a long history of injuries during his prime, so he were able to collec all the tittle defenses that went to Renan Barao (far from a given), it would still highly arguable to rank him over Silva. As things actually went, its just absolutely ridiculous and makes you lost any sort of credibility to rank him above.

About Jones...there is a reason why he is the most consensus #1 among fighters, coaches and promoters. Enough said.
Hey man, this list is understandably seen as controversial, but i really think my rankings are reasonable based on my criteria.

The main reason i have Silva so low (amongst many amazingly skilled fighters, that is) is because i think it's crucial to be a good defensive wrestler/anti-grappler which is something Silva never was - at least not compared to basically almost everyone else on this list.
This is what i meant in the criteria when talking about how fighters skillsets would match up against each other.
Silva was game of his back, but i still think getting taken down (relatively) easily is a major weakness.
Cruz on the other hand is both an amazing striker and an insane wrestler and has a great understanding of how to combine these skills, plus i think he has overall fought better opponents than Anderson.
I don't think anyone on Silva's record was as skilled as a prime Dillashaw (who might've been on EPO) as well as a Demetrious Johnson, though he was undersized and relatively early into his career still.

I won't deny that Silva is more accomplished and has been more dominant champion, but for the reasons i've mentioned, Cruz imo fully deserves to be higher than Silva, with all due respect.

As for Jon Jones: fighters and even coaches are not immune to be "indoctrinated" by the overall perception.
If a champion and/or his opponents is popular as hell, it'll inevitably give him/them a huge boost as to how they're perceived, plus - while people know Jones has popped - the pictures of him dominating all these guys is in the back of their heads regardless.

Really, if i look at all things, i couldn't put Jon in front of DJ for example, even if Jones was clean his whole career, for multiple reasons:
  • Jones rarely fought guys with a similar frame/body composition and in the instances where he did (Gus ×2, OSP, Reyes) he looked very human 3/4 times and probably lost 1 time (Reyes). Johnson on the other hand was at best the same size of his opponents, but in roughly 50% of his fights, outsized by a significant margin.
  • Opponents: Jones beat very good guys. However, many of them were not actual natural light heavyweights and the technique of most is imo also not necessarily absolute top tier. In terms of footwork/mobility, Jones fought 2-3 good opponents, those being Reyes, Gus and Machida. Guys like TRT-Vitor and Rampage on the other hand, entered range pretty much solely in straight lines, running their legs repeatedly into Jones' oblique kicks and it's not like these guys didn't possess the physical capability to move quick - most of them were fairly fast.
  • Best wins: while Jones has more popular fighters on his record, i don't think most of DJ's opponents are behind in skill (rather the opposite), but regardless: i'd say most people would agree that Cormier is Jones' best win, right? Cormier, while being an elite fighter and extremely good for what he works with, actually is not a natural 205er and would have - had he been in great shape - fought at 185, if not at 170, plus he was already 35 years old when he first fought Jones and that's the only win that counts, since at least for the other fight, Jones was not clean - Jones best win is thus a decision over Daniel Cormier. If we're looking at DJ, most people i think would agree that his best win is Henry Cejudo, who he TKOed in their first fight. Cejudo (the earlier version!) is not only a better wrestler than Daniel Cormier, but also the better boxer/striker and aside from that, Cejudo isn't a naturally smaller man, but even slightly bigger than Johnson, on top of being the same age as DJ. Now since i don't just look at what's a win or a loss on paper, i also take DJ's second fight against Cejudo in consideration, which i (like most other people) scored as a win for DJ. Sure, one can now go and say "but it was counted as an L for DJ" but why would one care? What's on paper doesn't change what actually happened, so yeah. (For this reason, i also don't consider Jones' "loss" to Hamill to be an actual loss. Back to the fight though: i consider this fight to be a win for DJ and i don't think that any argument can be made, that any fighter on the records of Jones, GSP, Silva, etc. is on the level of this version of Cejudo, who's got insane wrestling, great range management and entries, very good timing and counterstriking ability a very good kicking game, insane durability, really good power and really good cardio. Frankly, i'd have put Cejudo WAY higher on this list if his career in MMA wasn't so short lived, but at his peak, he might be second only to DJ in terms of ability.
  • Losses: DJ has four, Jones one (imo not against Hamill, but Reyes). DJ (who has been a part time fighter until the Dom fight, for which he had his first full time camp) lost early in his career to Pickett, who's been a really good fighter and has been 18-4, with 15 wins coming by finish, while also being on an 8 fight win-streak and he's had a height advantage too - in fact, the height difference between Pickett and DJ is percentage-wise the same as it is between someone who's 6'0" (183 cm) and 6'3½" (192 cm). DJ's next loss came to Dominick Cruz, who's the GOAT at the division above, one of the best fighters ever and dwarfed DJ (the height difference between them was the same relative to their height as the one between a 6'0" (183 cm) man and a 6'6" (198 cm) guy - basically someone an inch taller than a sherdogger. Johnson's third "loss" was the second fight against Cejudo, which DJ imo won, but even if he actually lost, this version of Cejudo is most likely a better fighter than anyone on the records of the other top ten guys, so yeah. DJ's fourth loss came against Adriano Moraes - another guy the size of Cruz, who's also an elite fighter and it should be noted that DJ was 34 years of age with 30 pro fights on his record, so not exactly a spring chicken anymore, especially since fighting at 125/135 requires a faster reaction time than fighting at the divisions above, especially the heavier divisions.
But regardless of that, i try to avoid so called "arguments from authority" as much as possible.
One can of course say "well, people who work in that field have the opinion that [...]" but if i were to then just accept this as true and defenitely free of fallacious logics, there'd be no need to discuss anyways, you know?
And it's not like we're discussing quantum physics, but combat sports, which - despite many variables - is something which i'd say one can learn tons about and get very knowledgeable about without working or competing in that field.

Hope this helps bratha.
<RomeroSalute>

First of all,
i appreciate your detailed response, it's not often the case that someone takes the time to answer as much to each point of larger posts/a larger post.
{<redford}
- You entire argument in that post is based on something like "all else being equal, the guy who achieves the same with less reach and height advantages is more impressive".
It certainly is very important to me, i think that's for sure!
First of all, none of the fighters on your list are directly comparable like in your analogy. Different weight class, different size of the talent pool, different skills of opponents, different # of champions beaten, different risk of getting KTFO, different # of rounds won, different # of 10-8 rounds, different # of finishes, different # of title defenses, different undefeated streaks, different physical gifts, different upbringing, etc, etc. So your whole point about "all else being equal" goes out the window, because nothing is equal about any 2 fighters in the OP.
In all fairness, you are correct with every statement - but i wholeheartedly disagree that my point goes out of the window; i'm convinced its very possible to make pretty accurate judgements when comparing (for example two) fighters from this list with each other.

One thing though: i try to leave things like upbringing etc. out of the equation and try to only judge what fighters have done inside the cage (cheating obviously being considered, if we know it happened) and against whom they've done it, etc.
- Second, you assume reach and height are automatic advantages, but they're not. You say "Fighter A and B weigh the same and are built the same, but one is 2" taller and 4" longer reach". That's physically impossible, because those inches weigh something. Fighter B is probably skinnier. There's a limit to how beneficial it is to be skinny and long. Hooker performs better at 155 than 145. Oliveira the same. They had more reach and height at 145, but they were worse. There's countless examples of this. Fighter A would be more muscular, which is not "a disadvantage", it's just a different build. The reason Jones' reach is an advantage is because he knows how to use it (which requires skill). If not, Gustaffson, Struve, Bigfoot and Reyes would be champions for 10 years too.
Once again, fair and very true points.
I have a feeling we'll ultimately agree on a lot more than you might currently think of, but in order to do that, i still have to answer you plenty here, so let's go!
<GinJuice>
(I'll try to keep it short)

Statement: "Those inches weigh something, fighter B in your example is skinnier then."
Answer: Fully correct! It's also fully correct that there's a limit to the beneficialness of being tall and long, but i think the limit of it being beneficial is mostly then to be seen, when already long fighters try to fight at a weight where they're compromised and i think this has bbeen the case for both Oliveria and Hooker, but especially the latter, who's actually a big lightweight.
For this reason, it's always necessary to look at if a fighter is actually healthy inside the cage, since too drastic cuts can (and almost always will) negatively impact performance.
Fighter A being more muscular would give him a small advantage in terms of strength, but since in my example he'd be shorter in height and reach, he'd be at a bigger disadvantage there than he's at a disadvantage from being more muscular.
In terms of cardio, having more muscle mass does *i think* only really start to have negative impacts on cardio if that more muscle mass is not the result of a sturdier build, but a result of putting excessive amounts of muscle mass on your body.
Example:
Daniel Cormier and Sean O'Malley have the exact same height and reach, but if they both decided to become 200 pounds at 10% of body fat, O'Malley would look like a bodybuilder, whereas DC would "just" look like a very athletic guy with a sturdy build, but i'd bet that if they were to do some kind of high intensity training, that O'Malley would gas out faster, since his body is closer to is way further removed from the amount of tissue it carries.
d94cf4673731793fe8044e57abc39115.jpg

<{outtahere}>

Statement: "Height and reach are not automatic advantages."
Answer: Fully correct, but i think context is mega important here. If you have two fighters, which are (sorry, but these examples are needed imo, lol) fully equal and both train to the best of their abilities, but one has more height and reach, he'll have more/bigger advantages than disadvantages in that fight than his counterpart with less reach and height.
However (!) and this is very important to this discussion (and imo often left out): with tall and rangy guys, you'll (on average!) have the same the same thing that you've got with heavy guys compared to light guys in training. Tall and rangy guys don't have the same incentive to traing their striking as much as shorter guys, since they've already been gifted with an advantage.
This leads to many long guys not making the most of what they have, whereas those who despite already having an advantage nevertheless are mega critical of themselves and try to better themselves as much as possible, often end up being extremely effective from range.
An example of the first mentioned guys would be fighters like Stefan Struve.
Struve not being an elite fighter wasn't because height and reach don't matter, but despite the fact that they do matter.
Struve - if he was average-sized for his weightclass - might have come just as far as he did being the giant he is, but in order to do that, he'd have had to work way more on his striking than he did in reality.
Jon Jones on the other hand (who btw does not just have a reach advantage, but most likely the craziest reach advantage that there is in the upper echelons of MMA) didn't neglect his overall striking (i'm saying overall, because his boxing could be better) at all, just because he's insanely long. As a result, he does extremely well from range and i will totally give Jones credit for not resting on his gifts, but instead putting in the work to make these gifts work even better.

(I guess keeping it short didn't work thus far, lol)

So in general, being tall and rangy (relative to your opponents) is *in itself* pretty much always very advantageous (unless you become so thin that your durability suffers, but that's rare), but just as with other things people can be gifted with, people can (and often will) fall into a lazier mindset here too.

That being said, while being long can be an enormous advantage in striking (imo especially if the gloves get smaller - if you want me to, i can explain why i think that, btw!), MMA is of course not a pure striking sport and while being tall and long can help you in some instances of grappling as well, it's not as big of an advantage there as it is on the feet, i think. (I'm way more knowledgeable in striking than i am in grappling, so i might not be fully correct here, i just remember a few analyses where for example it was shown that Jones being the opposite of DC in terms of length has helped him dealing and even winning wrestling exchanges against the much more accomplished wrestler that DC is).

One last thing for this part of our discussion: it *could* very well be the case, that the incentive of staying lazy in striking training (and wherever length helps in fighting) - should one have turned out to be gifted with enormous length - is so big, that one can make the statement "overcoming the mindset that often goes along with being gifted in a regard, is just as difficult, as it is to reach a certain level without these particular gifts."
Regardless of if you agree (no matter the extent) with that statement or not though, working hard on something where one has been born gifted, despite being aware of having an initial advantage is not something that i consider to be a part of my ranking system.
(I hope you could follow me here, this all might sound strange - but i also hope you don't think that i think of you as not being so bright - because i just wanna avoid misunderstandings)
- Another problem is that you reduce "physical advantages" to reach and height alone. Imagine if Max had Cody's chin. You recognize DJ is a freak athlete, which is as much of an advantage as reach or height. Speed, strength, intelligence, chin, power, height, reach, cardio, all have genetic components to different degrees, you seem to think that only height is a genetic advantage. Not to mention there's other advantages that aren't genetic, but are just as predetermined as genetics, like being born into a family of fighters, being rich, etc. I don't think any of them take away from anything, I guess we just have a difference in perspective.
I fully agree here.
What i will say though, is that the overall (meaning the sum of cardio, explosivity, strength, durability, reaction time) physical capabilities of someone average and of someone gifted (assuming these guys are of the same size, weightclass-wise!) do in my opinion not differ as much as the differences in technical and tactical skills fighters often do have.

(As for the chin comparison betwen Cody and Max: while Max has the better chin, i think what's overlooked like crazy is how big of a difference it makes if you see shots coming or not; Cody is often caught really off guard in the instances he gets hit, especially when he gets emotional, whereas it's rare that Max gets hit from shots that he doesn't really see.
What might play also a role here, is that Cody actually is small for 135, he barely cuts weight and while not cutting much in itself is good, having less body mass means you can't take a shot as well as if you were bigger, but i'm not sure how much of a role it plays here.

I do think though, that more KO's happening at heavyweight and light heavyweight compared to the lighter weights is mostly due to less defensive responsibility, as this difference between heavy and light divisions is to my knowledge not as crazy in striking sports which have better heavyweight divisions compared to MMA... i wanna make a thread on this soon; there are lots of instances where guys are separated from consciousness at the lower weights too when being hit flush.)

For example, a pro fighter outside of any premier MMA organization (if him being outside of the org is not just due to being a talent that is yet to make it) is most likely not nearly on the skill-level of the champion of that weightclass in a premier org, but it's unlikely that the guy outside the premier org is physically (again, all physical things considered) significantly worse than the premier org champion.

I'm also not sure if DJ is *that much* of a freak athlete, at least compared to his peers, which matters the most imo.
I'd say Cejudo has more power, but might cardio-wise be on a similar level to DJ (Note: the avg. fight time is a flyweight only stat, whereas the other stats are career stats - Funnily enough though, DJ's striking output per minute at 125 is higher than his career (125+135) stat, whereas it's the opposite for Cejudo!
(Totally forgot to use career stats from the beginning on, so the numbers might be a bit skewed... sorry :/)

Avg. fight time
Cejudo: 12:05
Johnson: 18:37

Sign. strikes thrown/minute (calculable with sign. strikes landed/min. and sign. strike accuracy)
Cejudo: 8.71
Johnson: 6.35

Takedowns attempted per 15 min (calculable with TD. avg./15 min and takedown accuracy)
Cejudo: 6.42
Johnson: 5.98

Sign. strikes thrown per fight:
Cejudo: 105(.2)
Johnson: 118(.2)

Takedowns attempted per fight:
Cejudo: 5.17
Johnson: 7.18

... so at 125, Cejudo has a higher output, but his fights don't last as long, on average. (But again, looking at their overall stats, in relation to their fight time, Cejudo has the upper hand in volume too!)
Fighters like Horiguchi, Dodson, Reis and Elliott are about similar in output with DJ, btw., judging by the stats i've just looked at.
One extra thing:

- The narrative of Mighty Mouse being undersized at 125 is really, really exaggerated. Always undersized? Not even close IMO, unless you consider 1" or 2" in height "undersized". Look at some of the guys he faced during his UFC reign:

Benavidez x2: 5'4"
Dodson x2: 5'3"
Cejudo x2: 5'4"
Ian McCall x2: 5'4"
Bagautinov: 5'4"
Cariaso: 5'3"
Horiguchi: 5'5"
Wilson Reis: 5'4"
Ray Borg: 5'4"

Not saying Mighty Mouse isn't great, he is, I have him at #5 or #6. Sure, he faced guys that were taller/bigger than him, but the majority of the time he fought guys close to his size. Not even close to what Fedor did (or even guys like Frankie and DC). When he faced significantly bigger guys that were skilled, he lost half the time.
You're right and i'm sorry if i implied or said that DJ was always undersized - he was undersized when facing 135ers though. In regards to a comparison between him, Fedor, Frankie and DC in that regard: you might just be correct; what i do know though - i did the math for the reply to pankrat - is that when DJ fought Pickett, the relative height discrepancy between those was that of a 6'0" man fighting a 6'3.5" man and the height discrepancy between Johnson and Cruz/Moraes was in relative terms the same as between a 6'0" guy and a 6'6" guy (!).
(And although it wasn't intended to be a part of my argument, 1-2 inches of difference in height between guys 5'3" and 5'5" is more than 1-2 inches of difference between guys being 6'0" and taller, this isn't some crazy revelation, necessarily - but it helps to put the difference in height between Cruz/Moraes and DJ into perspective, i think).

Sorry for the mega long response bro, take care.

I applaud your effort but to not have Jones on this list and one of the reasons being skillsets of his opponents and then having Mighty Mouse as #1 is inconsistent.

I don't think that list is bad. I like it

I'm not a big fan of Cejudo or Cruz, but can understand their placements.

Four Fighters who I personally feel belong on everybody's "Top 10" list. We shall start at #1.

#1 Jon Jones
01eewuug31i11.gif

awesome_Jon_Jones_Elbows_Rashad_Evans_UFC_145.gif

#2 Dan Henderson
3_medium.gif

#3 Big Nog
qragzm.gif

#4 Matt Hughes
tumblr_nrdp1aDQDO1rofocqo1_400.gif

No dishespect to Khabib/Cejudo/Cruz ect., but if any of these guys made early exits on their careers, they'd be on everyone's list. They were all far ahead of the competition for awhile.

Sadly we watched their competition catch up and surpass these guys, which is what happens in all sports.

I'm a big Big Nog and Hughes fan. I would probably find a way to get them in my top 10.

I understand why Hendo gets disrespected, he's basically just a tough wrestler with a big hand, not exactly the ideal fighter, but this guy fought the best his entire, very long career.. And found success for all of it besides his UFC run. Which wasn't bad either.

Nice work good sir. Its good to see someone's opinion but explained rather than your average post of "that's my favourite fighter and hes goat, anyone who disagrees is dumb"

Great list. There's no point in making a "GOAT" list if you only allow yourself to stick to the same pre-formatted list of the same 15 or so fighters, just so that it's still within the realm of socially approved consensus.

Back