My case for an unusual top-ten G.O.A.T. list

I like it but there's one problem. The GOAT has to be a HW (or a LHW that also competes at HW). Unless you can define GOAT in a different way, here is the logical definition:

1 GOAT= Greatest Of All Time
2 Greatest Of All Time at what? A: MMA/Cage Fighting
3 What is the point or ultimate goal of MMA/Cage Fighting? A: To win

Therefore, the GOAT of MMA is the best at winning in MMA. Since HW (and maybe a LHW here and there) would dominate open weight MMA competitions (excluding the early days) then necessarily the GOAT must be a HW fighter.
I think what you're describing is the baddest men on the planet, if you ask me.

I judge fighters - when talking about the GOAT or best of all time by their skills only. Being able to punch hard if you're a heavyweight isn't really a skill to me, it's just due to an increased abundance (compared to a lighter guy) of what i'd call "physical resources".

I like the following engine metaphor:
If one engine weighs 100 pounds and produces 100 horsepower, but another engine weighs 50 pounds and produces 65 horsepower, the latter engine is superior, since the bigger one only produces more power by being large, whereas the smaller one is the inherently better construction.

no, you are trying to make it the goat of a weight class. we're talking goat of the SPORT.
  • Right. The MMA who is the best overall at winning. MM can't be that GOAT because he gets destroyed by journeymen in the higher divisions. What YOU are talking about is the GOAT of a weightclass.

Thanks for your write-up TS

What is the actual forum rule on this? I noticed the pleading from you in the OP to mods, and also notice some GOAT conversation get killed right away while others don't (and many that don't don't feature the length/pleading either). Is it just sort of up to the individual mod or something else?

I think what you're describing is the baddest men on the planet, if you ask me.

I judge fighters - when talking about the GOAT or best of all time by their skills only. Being able to punch hard if you're a heavyweight isn't really a skill to me, it's just due to an increased abundance (compared to a lighter guy) of what i'd call "physical resources".

I like the following engine metaphor:
If one engine weighs 100 pounds and produces 100 horsepower, but another engine weighs 50 pounds and produces 65 horsepower, the latter engine is superior, since the bigger one only produces more power by being large, whereas the smaller one is the inherently better construction.
Skill is highly relative, subjective, and doesn't help you if you don't win the competition. Why isn't Jackie Chan the GOAT? He can do acrobatics that no fighter has ever done in the cage.

Thanks for your write-up TS

What is the actual forum rule on this? I noticed the pleading from you in the OP to mods, and also notice some GOAT conversation get killed right away while others don't (and many that don't don't feature the length/pleading either). Is it just sort of up to the individual mod or something else?
Appreciate it bro!

I don't think there is a particular rule, however, there's the GOAT poll thread and there are lots of GOAT threads to the point where everyone is understandably annoyed, though most GOAT threads go like this:

"______ is the true GOAT and far superior to ___________" and rather rapidly, the thread devolves into heated debates where insults are thrown and people don't really discuss anymore and just post GIFs of the fighter they wanna criticize losing, acting like he was never any good, etc.

I just wanted to make sure it didn't get merged, since i put tons of effort into it, basically.

Skill is highly relative, subjective, and doesn't help you if you don't win the competition. Why isn't Jackie Chan the GOAT? He can do acrobatics that no fighter has ever done in the cage.
I don't think it's that subjective at all (skill, that is). There's no subjectivity involved when acknowledging that let's say Petr Yan's boxing is superior to that of Fabricio Werdum, for example.

As for Jackie Chan: he didn't compete in pro MMA.

• Right. The MMA who is the best overall at winning. MM can't be that GOAT because he gets destroyed by journeymen in the higher divisions. What YOU are talking about is the GOAT of a weightclass.
I’m talking about the goat of a sport. That has weight classes. Not a made up version that doesn’t.

Can't say I agree too much with the criteria or some of the initial premises, or with some of the rankings/omissions (mainly Jones and Stipe, Anderson way too low, DJ too high). Especially the idea that the smaller the division, the more technical, and therefore "better". I also don't see how that has anything to do with being GOAT.

Following that line of thought, the smaller and weaker one is, the "better" and "more technical" one should be assumed to be, I don't get that. I also don't agree that skills and physicality can be so strictly distinguished, or that any of that makes a fighter "better" in any sense. A straight punch is "good" technique because it's faster and hits harder, not because there's anything special about a straight punch. Hitting fast and hard is the point, not doing something according to some ideal. I also think that the differences are relative withing a division. Figueiredo is a heavy puncher in the context of FLW, Dodson is fast even compared to other FLW or BWs, etc. Heavier divisions also face greater dangers with every strike/exchange, so lighter divisions face more "technical" fighters, but mistakes are much more costly in heavier divisions, I don't see how that trade-off tells us that lighter divisions are "harder". The talent pool is determined by which weights are more common among the general athletic population, not by how light guys are. Most HW and LHW talent goes to other sports, and the supply of athletes at 125 was super limited for a long time, for example.

It's still a lot of work and an enjoyable read together with the gifs. Good shit man.
Appreciate the kind words man.

I think someone explained it - from what i've seen rather good - what i meant with my criteria about the higher technicality the smaller guys get.
(Not that being smaller makes you inherently more technical, it's just that the smaller you get, the less you can rely on physicality on the gym, incentivizing fighters increasingly to pay more attention to technique to hang with bigger guys in training, for example).
So my question is: is there still something that you think doesn't make sense in my arguments? If so, what is it?
Because i'd like to elaborate, if you don't mind, lol.
<RomeroSalute>

I refer to the points made in the first and last part of the OP regarding why i left out Jon Jones.
I also think that several fighters on this list have beaten better competition while not being the naturally larger and longer guys and while not having had PED-*advantages*.

They're using cleaner transitions, better economy of movement, are typically more well rounded, and (from personal experience) specifically make a point out of being more technical because its necessary when you are out sized.

Look at DJ who fought the vast majority of his career with a glaring size disadvantage. He fought his way all the way to Cruz not because he was fast but because he was technical. He was able to overcome his disadvantages with cleaner technique and a more well rounded game.

Being small doesn't instantly make you better but or mean you have 0 physical advantages. But it does mean you gave far less room to be sloppy compared to MWs on up. That's why 145-170 have always been ridiculously stacked with the best talent

The reson those divisons are stacked is demographics, not talent requirements. Transitions and economy don't score in MMA, it's not gymnastics, and those things don't win fights alone, so what's the point in scoring them so highly in a GOAT debate?

I also disagree with these "physical advantages", being so exaggerated in bigger divisions. Holloway, cuts 25-30lbs, one of the biggest weight cutters in the UFC, has endless cardio and an iron chin (hasn't ever been knocked down, despite slugging it out all the time). These are all "physical advantages", some are related to size, some aren't. His chin and cardio are just as much of an advantage as Jones' reach and Francis' power. We saw how much this changed against Dustin, it was instantly obvious.

It wouldn't make sense for Francis to move like Cruz, it would be physically impossible and a waste of time and energy. He doesn't need to be as well rounded as DJ. It wouldn't make sense for him to spend time training gogoplatas, wheel kicks and having a 200 punch/round output. So to knock bigger guys down for not doing things that it doesn't make sense for them to do is nonsensical. Do we expect Max not to use his cardio or chin? The point of a sport is to use your advantages and gifts to the best of your ability and win within the ruleset, whether it's using skills, physicality, intelligence or a mix of all of them, I don't understand trying to judge it as something else.

Let me take this a bit further. Khabib was the most dominant grappler in the sport. A large part of why he had that skill was because he was born in the wrestling mecca of the world and was the son of a professional wrestling and sambo coach. So, Khabib's grappling skill had a component that was just as "innate" as Francis' power, Jones' reach, Max's cardio, etc. He didn't choose to be born in that context, it's his gift. Floyd is a similar case.

Other fighters can't match that experience whatever they do, just like you can't match Ngannou's power whatever you do. Now, why is one prized over the other? It's not like MMA is not a physical sport, why ignore physicality? Do we penalize Karelin for being "too strong"? I think this has to do with some romantic ideal about MMA being this purely cerebral/skill based spot, which is not the reality of it.

There's a lot of fighters with reach and height advantage (Struve, James Vick, Bigfoot, etc) that don't get anywhere near Jones' level. Same with power punchers (Manhoef, Hunt, Lewis, etc). So the argument to hold these things against successful fighters and turn a blind eye to their success, when others with the same advantages don't achieve anything great, is very weak in my opinion. Not to mention that many mental aspects like fight IQ, toughness, grit, etc, are just as innate as other physical gifts. I'm not sure why they're classified separately. Sonnen could never have DJ's fight IQ, no matter what he does.

------------------o-----------------
On a separate note, I don't really get the argument for not listing Jones at all. DC fought many notorious juicers with size advantages (Barnett, Bigfoot), yet Jones is the only one to outwrestle him at 205, and in his prime. Doing that to prime DC without high level credentials is simply insane and unprecedented, juice or no juice. Not to mention he dominated a division for a decade, we're talking complete and utter domination, including of other juiced fighters, and becoming the youngest champion in history, then holding that for record time.

The size argument goes back to what we talked about above. Holloway cuts just as much as Jon, and has an insane cardio and chin advantage, why not hold that against him too? Jon is also a notoriously weak puncher, yet found incredible success. Struve, James Vick, Brandon Thatch, Bigfoot, Sapp, Overeem, Lombard, Lesnar, Dillashaw, all either had huge size advantages and/or they were juiced to the gills, yet none of them ever came close to achieving what Jones achieved. I don't have him at #1, but to pretend Jones isn't a top 10 ever special talent is really absurd.

Last edited:
The reson those divisons are stacked is demographics, not talent requirements. Transitions and economy aren't score criteria in MMA, it's not gymnastics, and those things don't win fights alone, so what's the point in scoring them so highly in a GOAT debate?

I also disagree with these "physical advantages", being so exaggerated in bigger divisions. Holloway, for example, cuts 25-30lbs, one of the biggest weight cutters in the UFC, has endless cardio and an iron chin (hasn't ever been knocked down, despite slugging it out all the time). These are all "physical advantages", some are related to size, some aren't. His chin and cardio are just as much of an advantage as Jones' reach and Francis' power. We saw how much this changed when he went up against Dustin, it was instantly obvious.

It wouldn't make sense for Francis to move like Cruz, it would be physically impossible and a waste of time and energy. It wouldn't make sense for him to spend a significant amount of time training gogoplatas, wheel kicks and having a 200 punch/round output. So to knock bigger guys down for not doing things that it doesn't make sense for them to do is nonsensical, do we expect them to go and not use their gifts to win? Do we expect Max not to use his cardio or chin? The point of a sport is to use your advantages and gifts to the best of your ability and win within the ruleset. Every single fighter does this. BJ Penn was insanely flexible, had an iron chin, an incredible sense of balance and a crazy will to fight. These are all pretty much innate advantages, just as much as anything else.

Let me take this a bit further. Khabib was the most dominant grappler in the sport. A large part of why he had that skill was because he was born in the wrestling mecca of the world and was the son of a professional wrestling and sambo coach, who trained him since he was 6 years old and had bears as training partners. So, Khabib's grappling skill had a component that was just as "innate" as Francis' power, Jones' reach, Max's cardio, etc. Floyd is a similar case.

Other fighters can't match that experience whatever they do, just like you can't match Ngannou's power whatever you do. Now, why is one prized over the other? It's not like MMA is not a physical sport. I think this has to do with some romantic ideal about MMA being this purely cerebral/skill based spot, but not with reality. Both are impressive, and both are advantages that you were born with. There's a lot of fighter's with reach and height advantage (Struve, James Vick, etc) that don't get anywhere near Jones' level. Same with power punchers (Manhoef, Hunt, Lewis, etc). So the argument to hold these things against fighters and turn a blind eye to their success when others with the same advantages don't achieve anything great, is very weak in my opinion. This is a sport in which physicality matters a lot, it's not chess, so if you're a physical beast and know how to use it and dominate, then you're just as great as someone who uses some other method or gift. Not to mention that many mental aspects like fight IQ, toughness, grit, etc, are just as innate as other physical gifts. I'm not sure why they're classified separately. Sonnen could never have DJ's fight IQ, no matter what he does.

On a separate note, I don't really get the argument for not listing Jones at all. DC fought many notorious juicers with size advantages (Barnett, Bigfoot), yet Jones is the only one to outwrestle him at 205, and in his prime. Doing that to prime DC without high level credentials is simply insane and unprecedented, juice or no juice. Not to mention he dominated a division for a decade, we're talking complete and utter domination, including of other juiced fighters, and becoming the youngest champion in history, then holding that for record time.

The size argument goes back to what we talked about above. Holloway cuts just as much as Jon, and has an insane cardio and chin advantage, why not hold that against him too? Jon is also a notoriously weak puncher, yet found incredible success. Struve, James Vick, Brandon Thatch, Bigfoot, Overeem, Lombard, Lesnar, Dillashaw, all either had huge size advantages or they were juiced to the gills, yet none of them ever came close to achieving what Jones achieved. I don't have him at #1, but to pretend Jones isn't a top 10 ever special talent is really absurd.
Damn bro! I'll come back to this!

I normally agree with the overall quality of your posts here... yet this list is laughable at best imo.

<Dany07>

The reson those divisons are stacked is demographics, not talent requirements. Transitions and economy aren't score criteria in MMA, it's not gymnastics, and those things don't win fights alone, so what's the point in scoring them so highly in a GOAT debate?

I also disagree with these "physical advantages", being so exaggerated in bigger divisions. Holloway, for example, cuts 25-30lbs, one of the biggest weight cutters in the UFC, has endless cardio and an iron chin (hasn't ever been knocked down, despite slugging it out all the time). These are all "physical advantages", some are related to size, some aren't. His chin and cardio are just as much of an advantage as Jones' reach and Francis' power. We saw how much this changed when he went up against Dustin, it was instantly obvious.

It wouldn't make sense for Francis to move like Cruz, it would be physically impossible and a waste of time and energy. It wouldn't make sense for him to spend a significant amount of time training gogoplatas, wheel kicks and having a 200 punch/round output. So to knock bigger guys down for not doing things that it doesn't make sense for them to do is nonsensical. Do we expect Max not to use his cardio or chin? The point of a sport is to use your advantages and gifts to the best of your ability and win within the ruleset, I don't understand trying to judge it as something else.

Let me take this a bit further. Khabib was the most dominant grappler in the sport. A large part of why he had that skill was because he was born in the wrestling mecca of the world and was the son of a professional wrestling and sambo coach, who trained him since he was 6 years old and had bears as training partners. So, Khabib's grappling skill had a component that was just as "innate" as Francis' power, Jones' reach, Max's cardio, etc. Floyd is a similar case.

Other fighters can't match that experience whatever they do, just like you can't match Ngannou's power whatever you do. Now, why is one prized over the other? It's not like MMA is not a physical sport. I think this has to do with some romantic ideal about MMA being this purely cerebral/skill based spot, but not with reality.

There's a lot of fighter's with reach and height advantage (Struve, James Vick, etc) that don't get anywhere near Jones' level. Same with power punchers (Manhoef, Hunt, Lewis, etc). So the argument to hold these things against fighters and turn a blind eye to their success when others with the same advantages don't achieve anything great, is very weak in my opinion. This is a sport in which physicality matters a lot, it's not chess. Not to mention that many mental aspects like fight IQ, toughness, grit, etc, are just as innate as other physical gifts. I'm not sure why they're classified separately. Sonnen could never have DJ's fight IQ, no matter what he does.

The size argument goes back to what we talked about above. Holloway cuts just as much as Jon, and has an insane cardio and chin advantage, why not hold that against him too? Jon is also a notoriously weak puncher, yet found incredible success. Struve, James Vick, Brandon Thatch, Bigfoot, Overeem, Lombard, Lesnar, Dillashaw, all either had huge size advantages or they were juiced to the gills, yet none of them ever came close to achieving what Jones achieved. I don't have him at #1, but to pretend Jones isn't a top 10 ever special talent is really absurd.
<PlusJuan>

Quality post so nice all of you should view it twice!

Damn bro! I'll come back to this!

Sorry man, I started typing some stuff this morning, went out all day and finished it now. I just edited it to summarize a little. You put so much work into it that it required a detailed argument haha.

Last edited:
I don't think it's that subjective at all (skill, that is). There's no subjectivity involved when acknowledging that let's say Petr Yan's boxing is superior to that of Fabricio Werdum, for example.

As for Jackie Chan: he didn't compete in pro MMA.
No, he didn't but if he did, he could be the most skilled GOAT because he has fighting-related moves that no one else could match. Of course he would get destroyed but...

As far as comparing "skills" of big guys and small guys, of course the smaller guys are going to be able to pull off technical moves that the big guys can't do as well simply because of physics. They're not going to win a match against the big guys though. Which again, is the point of MMA competition, No?

I’m talking about the goat of a sport. That has weight classes. Not a made up version that doesn’t.
Lol, if you're qualifying GOAT by weight classes, then you're not talking about the overall GOAT of MMA. You're talking about some P4P type bullshit.

And another thing, If there were no weight classes, as great and skilled as these lighter fighters are, they would not even make it on the roster.

Last edited:
You put far too much emphasis on the praise of the little guys which is interesting considering at the smaller weight classes dominance comes down to weight cutting more than it does in the upper weights I.e Khabib/Max etc etc. Also the lack of Jones is just blasphemy imo. He is the most dominant champion in UFC history (inb4 steroids eye pokes or 12-6 or recency Reyes) juice doesn’t make someone an all time great and not to burst anyone’s bubble but everyone uses supplements of some form at the highest level. I understand not everyone is caught but it’s foolish to believe that it isn’t the case. I’ve trained all over from AKA to ATT to the Blackzilians and without naming names juicing is just commonplace whether to deal with injuries/weight cuts/ or strength and cardio. Not everyone does it all by any stretch but I personally don’t believe anyone makes it to the top 5 in a division without some intramuscular assistance. With that said it doesn’t make the fighter. Jones is the undefeated goat Of the UFC although I give the utmost respect to the big 5 in any order which imo is Fedor/GSP/MM/Silva/Jones. Just my 2cents.

With that said I respect your thought out thread sherbro.

The reson those divisons are stacked is demographics, not talent requirements. Transitions and economy don't score criteria in MMA, it's not gymnastics, and those things don't win fights alone, so what's the point in scoring them so highly in a GOAT debate?

I also disagree with these "physical advantages", being so exaggerated in bigger divisions. Holloway, cuts 25-30lbs, one of the biggest weight cutters in the UFC, has endless cardio and an iron chin (hasn't ever been knocked down, despite slugging it out all the time). These are all "physical advantages", some are related to size, some aren't. His chin and cardio are just as much of an advantage as Jones' reach and Francis' power. We saw how much this changed when he went up against Dustin, it was instantly obvious.

It wouldn't make sense for Francis to move like Cruz, it would be physically impossible and a waste of time and energy. It wouldn't make sense for him to spend a significant amount of time training gogoplatas, wheel kicks and having a 200 punch/round output. So to knock bigger guys down for not doing things that it doesn't make sense for them to do is nonsensical. Do we expect Max not to use his cardio or chin? The point of a sport is to use your advantages and gifts to the best of your ability and win within the ruleset, I don't understand trying to judge it as something else.

Let me take this a bit further. Khabib was the most dominant grappler in the sport. A large part of why he had that skill was because he was born in the wrestling mecca of the world and was the son of a professional wrestling and sambo coach. So, Khabib's grappling skill had a component that was just as "innate" as Francis' power, Jones' reach, Max's cardio, etc. He didn't choose to be born in that context. Floyd is a similar case.

Other fighters can't match that experience whatever they do, just like you can't match Ngannou's power whatever you do. Now, why is one prized over the other? It's not like MMA is not a physical sport, why ignore physicality? I think this has to do with some romantic ideal about MMA being this purely cerebral/skill based spot, which is not the reality.

There's a lot of fighter's with reach and height advantage (Struve, James Vick, etc) that don't get anywhere near Jones' level. Same with power punchers (Manhoef, Hunt, Lewis, etc). So the argument to hold these things against successful fighters and turn a blind eye to their success when others with the same advantages don't achieve anything great, is very weak in my opinion. Not to mention that many mental aspects like fight IQ, toughness, grit, etc, are just as innate as other physical gifts. I'm not sure why they're classified separately. Sonnen could never have DJ's fight IQ, no matter what he does.

Lol so clean technique shouldn't be scored? Footwork and transitions are massive parts of both striking and grappling. That's not something you can just ignore. smaller fighters ON AVERAGE display overall cleaner technique in all areas. DJ is at the top of the list because his striking, grappling, footwork, fight IQ, and success across multiple weight classes is overwhelming. He is without question far more technical overall than almost everyone on this list.

Your Max example would be meaningful if Max wasn't fighting guys who are also cutting massive amounts of weight. In terms of physical advantages all hevreally has is hight which means nothing. But hes still on here because he's far more technical than his peers in upper weight classes.

You're arguing about if they should use their advantages which was never even remotely the topic. The topic is skill. Francis is a far sloppier striker than almost everyone on this list. And that fine because he doesn't have to be. His grappling is also behind everyone on the list and that's fine. Hes a HW and grappling has never been as prominent there. But guess what? That doesn't give him a free pass either. The criteria is to be technically excellent. Not to be fine for the weight you're in.

Your Khabib example is awful and shows that you have a gross misunderstanding of this concept on a base level. Khabib training for years and tirelessly working his skills is by definition not innate. It's a skill he developed. Francis being a big guy that hits hard is something he was born with. There is literally 0 point of comparison. Power is something your born with. Technique is something you build. Having access to train in Dagestan doesn't instantly make you better. Taking advantage of the opertunity does.

Also there are literally dozens upon dozens of fighter brought up by Abdulmanap the same way Khabib was. Yet none of them sans a rare few are even close to Khabib despite being with him from the start.

Physicality isn't bad but it is not on the same grading scale as skill. Gameplaning, proper skill, and proper execution (the cerebral aspects of the game) are what make greats. It is what ties all the greats together. Superior technique and superior fight IQ. Physical attributes are supplementary and should be scored as such.

Hitting hard isn't a technique. It doesn't take skill. Footwork takes skill. Setting up clean entries and combos takes skill. Transitioning from different positions takes skill. These qualities are more present in lower weight classes.

To put a bow on it, big guys dont get a free pass for being sloppy just because they hit hard. If you are not as technically proficient then you shouldn't make the list. Most people at 205 and 265 are sloppy and less technical. Thems the breaks

Lol so clean technique shouldn't be scored? Footwork and transitions are massive parts of both striking and grappling. That's not something you can just ignore. smaller fighters ON AVERAGE display overall cleaner technique in all areas. DJ is at the top of the list because his striking, grappling, footwork, fight IQ, and success across multiple weight classes is overwhelming. He is without question far more technical overall than almost everyone on this list.

Your Max example would be meaningful if Max wasn't fighting guys who are also cutting massive amounts of weight. In terms of physical advantages all hevreally has is hight which means nothing. But hes still on here because he's far more technical than his peers in upper weight classes.

You're arguing about if they should use their advantages which was never even remotely the topic. The topic is skill. Francis is a far sloppier striker than almost everyone on this list. And that fine because he doesn't have to be. His grappling is also behind everyone on the list and that's fine. Hes a HW and grappling has never been as prominent there. But guess what? That doesn't give him a free pass either. The criteria is to be technically excellent. Not to be fine for the weight you're in.

Your Khabib example is awful and shows that you have a gross misunderstanding of this concept on a base level. Khabib training for years and tirelessly working his skills is by definition not innate. It's a skill he developed. Francis being a big guy that hits hard is something he was born with. There is literally 0 point of comparison. Power is something your born with. Technique is something you build. Having access to train in Dagestan doesn't instantly make you better. Taking advantage of the opertunity does.

Also there are literally dozens upon dozens of fighter brought up by Abdulmanap the same way Khabib was. Yet none of them sans a rare few are even close to Khabib despite being with him from the start.

Physicality isn't bad but it is not on the same grading scale as skill. Gameplaning, proper skill, and proper execution (the cerebral aspects of the game) are what make greats. It is what ties all the greats together. Superior technique and superior fight IQ. Physical attributes are supplementary and should be scored as such.

Hitting hard isn't a technique. It doesn't take skill. Footwork takes skill. Setting up clean entries and combos takes skill. Transitioning from different positions takes skill. These qualities are more present in lower weight classes.
I think you misinterpreted his arguments. His first paragraph and the rest are different points. He was talking about TS' criteria for physical advantages in everything but his first paragraph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mapichtli
Back