my cardio/stamina SUCKS!!!

NiRinLove

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK my stamina even in the judo days like 3 years ago have always sucked. i tried to finish of my opponents in first minute and usually did. if i didnt my chance of winning would deterioriate because of my cardio. i have always had bad cardio mainly beacuse of my crappy work ethic. i never really trained that hard because i used to be the best in my school and won most tournaments i went in. however after a 3 year break (mainly cause of poker and other things), i feel like this is 1 area i want to fix.

i go to renzos now and after first 2 days, every time half way through the class i feel like dying. i am dead tired. i feel like im slowing my sparring partners down. usually i will get tired near the end but its still worse then everyone else who seems way more in shape then i do. after the class i will literally feel like throwing up. sometimes even passing out but i take my time to get dressed and go home. is this normal? my recovery time is terrible. i need a long time to recover. please everyone tell me your thoughts and what i can do to get better. i am sure going to training everyday will slowly fix my cardio problem but i would love to speed this up as much as i can. i guess running is a start..

is this even normal feeling THIS bad after training. everyone else seems very normal except me and my crappy cardio. i feel like throwing up every time after training and got an extreme headache.

during judo times i was told to get a docs note saying my heart was fine. i got an ekg done and it came out normal. so i gues it is just me being out of shape. (i play poker online for a living which might have added to the problem).

try playing poker on a treadmill.

Either that or just keep at it and watch what you eat could be that too .

Do you drink alot of coffee and not enough water ?? You could alway load up on carbs before going , the feeling of throwing up and headaches could be the lack of energy in your body you may be literally gasing out , no fuel is what iam trying to say .

Another thing is when you eat , try eating atleast 3 hours before and make it a small meal with high carbs ( pasta or rice included in it somehow ) you could be eating too much and bogging yourself down .

I thought the exact same thing!

Seriously though it seems like you just need to get your conditioning up.

yeah really you cant sit around all day then do grappling for a bit and think your gonna get your conditioning up?? prob would work that well , but if he's doing it everyday and seeing no results it could be his diet .

ever eat something with alot of oilve oil or something heavy before you train ? makes you feel like crap or even like 30 mins before training cuz you got home late , it sucks .

I never eat before training now i eat like 3 hour before and its alway a light meal

1) Start Running, especially speed intervals
2) It may be your breathing, with steady long inhales, and exhales you can go on forever

is this even related to grappling technique???
hmmm.... conditioning maybe???

It will come - Rolling conditioning is different then running.

I use to run 2 to 3 miles a day, but I would get winded during our rolling sessions. Five minutes would kill me, so now I just train five days a week and core train with weights.

I can roll or spar all day now...

Best thing for grappling cardio is GRAPPLING ALOT.

That being said, I supplement my training by swimming everyday. I do swim sprints - One lap balls out, then breaststroke back. Repeat for at least 30-40 minutes, no stopping. This has helped tremendously - have cardio for dayzzzzz :icon_twis.

I find "caveman" type stuff has good cross over. Tire flips, dragging and pulling and various carries help a lot.

Like someone else mentioned...breathing could be a big player. You stated that in Judo you tried to finish your opponents in the first minute.....make sure you're not holding your breath! :icon_chee

I certainly felt it pretty hard when I started.

(1) As for headaches: for me it was a lack of hydration and overheating. Water and some g2 (low cal gatorade, no sweetner, just low cal) may help a lot.

(2) You may need to pace yourself. Focus on improving your game over beating your opponent and accept getting passed, etc. a lot at first.

(3) Pay attention to your breathing. Holding your breath, especially when exerting yourself can be killer. I've seen it mentioned a lot and think it's helped me (though it's hard to disentangle from being calm in general in my own experience).

(4) Thank you! Thank you for sticking with rolling when you're gassed. It really gets on my nerves when my partners quit rolling 1/2 way through the round because they gas. (Of course, quitting is better than hurting yourself! =)

Best thing for grappling cardio is GRAPPLING ALOT.

QFT
A large part of cardio adaptation is tissue specific and hence activity specific. Running, swimming, etc. are good for you in general and better than nothing, but there's (small) fractional carry-over. (Burpees would probably be reasonably good as non-grappling activities go I would think.)
More info on this in Strength/Conditioning forum.

I second the two-part diagnosis by TheGambler: you should work on your cardio, and you should also make sure that you're not holding your breath.

For working on your cardio check out
'Cardio' For the Martial Arts
Going Anaerobic 1
Going Anaerobic 2
Going Anaerobic 3

For not holding your breath check out
Breathing and Exhaustion

Of course all this advice assumes that you're not doing something else (like smoking, or being overweight) that is killing your cardio)

Good luck
Stephan Kesting
Grapple arts

Diagnose yourself:

1) Go for a 3 mile run at a decent but unspectacular pace...say, 8 min miles. Are you totally gassed out / feeling sick at the end? If so, your aerobic base sucks and you need to improve that. Check out Stephan Kestings' notes on conditioning...it's impossible to have excellent anerobic capacity on a poor aerobic base.

2) If the run went OK, do something that hits anerobic capacity - intervals, burpees, high-rep push/pull, whatever. If that gets you into gassed out / feeling sick mode, then it's your anerobic capacity and that will come around if you stick with your training.

3) If the run went fine and the anerobic workout went fine, but you still feel like crap after rolling, it's probably either (a) your breathing, or (b) you are not relaxed while you roll - these being closely related. If you aren't relaxed when you roll, you may be expending unnecesary energy pushing / pulling / grabbing things every second of the roll but not even realize you are doing it because of the adrenaline.

Good luck. One way or the other, stick with it and it will probably be better in a month.

Run.
Watch what you eat.
Remember to breathe during training.
Try to pace yourself.

I second the two-part diagnosis by TheGambler: you should work on your cardio, and you should also make sure that you're not holding your breath.

For working on your cardio check out
'Cardio' For the Martial Arts
Going Anaerobic 1
Going Anaerobic 2
Going Anaerobic 3

For not holding your breath check out
Breathing and Exhaustion

Of course all this advice assumes that you're not doing something else (like smoking, or being overweight) that is killing your cardio)

Good luck
Stephan Kesting
Grapple arts

i dont smoke. im 170ish and 6 feet tall so i dont think im over weight. but i am a little bit out of shape i guess physically and VERY out of shape stamina wise.

Diagnose yourself:

1) Go for a 3 mile run at a decent but unspectacular pace...say, 8 min miles. Are you totally gassed out / feeling sick at the end? If so, your aerobic base sucks and you need to improve that. Check out Stephan Kestings' notes on conditioning...it's impossible to have excellent anerobic capacity on a poor aerobic base.

2) If the run went OK, do something that hits anerobic capacity - intervals, burpees, high-rep push/pull, whatever. If that gets you into gassed out / feeling sick mode, then it's your anerobic capacity and that will come around if you stick with your training.

3) If the run went fine and the anerobic workout went fine, but you still feel like crap after rolling, it's probably either (a) your breathing, or (b) you are not relaxed while you roll - these being closely related. If you aren't relaxed when you roll, you may be expending unnecesary energy pushing / pulling / grabbing things every second of the roll but not even realize you are doing it because of the adrenaline.

Good luck. One way or the other, stick with it and it will probably be better in a month.

lol 3 mile... normally ill jog for like 1 block and a half and i will be dead tired and need a 10 mins rest by walking to calm down. my recovery sucks ass lol.

If your cardio is truly that bad you might want to get some bloodwork done. Maybe your blood iron is way down, or there is some other (obvious) biochemical problem. If you've been doing BJJ fairly consistently then you should be able to jog for more than a block and a half...

Stephan Kesting
Grapple arts

Back