my cardio/stamina SUCKS!!!

Shit man, I'm 2 years in and my conditioning sucks. I'm fantastic at armbars from guard though, because it allows me to rest. And nap.

0 stripe white belt 4 lyfe!

well today my cardio held up and i was not that tired. i actually wanted to do double session... but i wont push it thattt much for now. ill wait for another week or 2 before i start doing double sessions.

Stop smoking cigarettes dipped in Twinkie batter.

Stamina is so, so important in grappling. We are gearing up to a tourney next week, so my instructor upped the intensity to get us ready. After the technical portion of the class we rolled for 4 X 8 minute rounds with 45 seconds of rest in between. I thought I was getting in pretty good grappling shape but last night proved I still have a long way to go. My 4 partners last night consisted of 2 guys with judo backgrounds, one rugby player from New Zealand and a power lift I roll with a lot. The power lift is coming back from and injury so he is in worse shape than I am but he is still strong and out weighs me by 40-50 pounds. Technically, there wasn't a guy in the bunch that I felt was out of my reach. The first 3 rolls went well, I got the better of them some times, they got the better of me sometimes. By the time I got the 4 guy (one of the judo guys and probably the best fighter technically of the bunch), I was spent. I saw things coming but had no answer for them. Even basic things like getting up on a hip when the guy has you in side control were too much for me. It was frustrating. The good news is that the knee injury that has kept we from doing road work is gettting better and I should be able to run again within the week and if we keep up this intensity, I should have no problem come tournement time.

If your cardio is truly that bad you might want to get some bloodwork done. Maybe your blood iron is way down, or there is some other (obvious) biochemical problem. If you've been doing BJJ fairly consistently then you should be able to jog for more than a block and a half...

+1

I realize you were (mostly) kidding about being out of breath after a block and a half, but seriously if you are moderately active 6' 170 lb nonsmoker with no major lower body joint injuries, you ought to be able to go run a mile in 9 or 10 minutes with no training at all.

If you can't do that, it may be a sign that something ain't right.

Work on your technique, go slow and control during training and remember to breath.

Back