my 2 cents as a Khamzat fan (how he's promoted)

Dionysian

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So, like has been pointed out, Khamzat is now ranked #15. Here's what I was thinking though... as a Khamzat fan, I would actually prefer they didn't. Purely from a promotional angle I'm talking about keep in mind.

If I was running the UFC I would play it up for what it is... the single biggest rankings jump in the sport's history. This sets the record... right? Someone let me know if not. Fighting outside top 25 to then top 3 has never been done before... so use that shit for your promo. Use the excitement of "this is insane and unprecedented, we've never seen this, but the potential on this guy is off the charges... he already set the record for the quickest turnaround and quickest 3-fight streak AND least strikes absorbed... what about THIS mountain in front of him though?? Can he successfully complete the greatest rankings jump in the sport's history?"

But I'm not in charge, so oh well. But yeah that'd be way better than pumping him to 15 overnight in an effort to mute the conversation. IMO, they should be doing the opposite. What do you think?

EDIT #1: Khamzat is currently #66 on fightmatrix. 63-spot gap relative to Leon. With a Khamzat win this will likely be the world record. Only thing I can even think of that would remotely rival it is Brock vs Heath win, thanks kflo.
EDIT #2: But no one cares about fightmatrix in terms of promotion. So don't cite it. UFC could just keep it general and say "with a win, this will be the biggest jump in rankings any fighter has ever taken" as a blanket statement. Hardcores/casuals alike would be in agreement and you could still push that angle. Only downside is if it is too late to do now that they already put him at 15... UFC, is it too late to take him off the rankings before too many hardcores notice?

If he wins... hammer the shit out of this rankings-jump record with all the other records (quickest turnaround + quickest 3 fight wins + least shots absorbed) when he fights Usman. It could go through the damn roof. I'm talking Conor/Rousey level stuff.

Last edited:
who cares, he ll beat leon who was ranked no3 the beginning of the year, after smash Usman, then drink coconut.

tenor.gif

who cares, he ll beat leon who was ranked no3 the beginning of the year, after smash Usman, then drink coconut.
Yeah sort of my point. If he beats Leon he goes to #3, as he should. So it is totally irrelevant what he is ranked BEFORE fighting Leon... #15 or #100... he goes to #3 with a win. So why not play the discrepancy up to promote the fight? It is another record he would be setting if he pulls it off... at #15 it likely wouldn't be though. I'm sure someone has beaten a guy 12 spots ahead of them before in the UFC.

Yeah sort of my point. If he beats Leon he goes to #3, as he should. So it is totally irrelevant what he is ranked BEFORE fighting Leon... #15 or #100... he goes to #3 with a win. So why not play the discrepancy up to promote the fight? It is another record he would be setting if he pulls it off... at #15 it likely wouldn't be though. I'm sure someone has beaten a guy 12 spots ahead of them before in the UFC.
honestly I dont care about rankings, fighters started to act like divas since rankings exist.

"The single biggest rankings jump in the sports history". That's just not true. It's a weird thing to try and determine, cause there's all sorts of different and unique situations that might qualify. Plenty of examples of people coming in from other orgs and then fighting highly ranked guys in their first fight.

honestly I dont care about rankings, fighters started to act like divas since rankings exist.
Yeah I know a lot of us don't care. It matters a lot to fighters though. It determines crazy stuff... from the size of your paycheck to whether your name is listed first or not when UFC promotes the match. Not caring as a fighter would be equivalent to not caring if accounting gets your paychecks to you ha.

Anyway, I'm just talking the promotional side of things. Khamzat could be setting another record with a win over Leon if they didn't bump Khamzat in the rankings before the fight. He'd have "greatest jump of a win in rankings history" in addition to being #1 contender. If they pump him up to #15, then he is "only" winning the #1 contender fight. Big picture/little picture for promotions I guess. My scenario is better if you were hoping to promote the guy as an emerging star of the sport, IMHO...

"The single biggest rankings jump in the sports history". That's just not true. It's a weird thing to try and determine, cause there's all sorts of different and unique situations that might qualify. Plenty of examples of people coming in from other orgs and then fighting highly ranked guys in their first fight.
That's part of the reason I brought this thread up.

Can you think of one bigger? In other words, what's the biggest one ever? Serious question because I'm blanking right now...

Agreed tbh. No 15 vs no.3 seems so lame.

Agreed tbh. No 15 vs no.3 seems so lame.
Yup. Let me put it this way...

#15 vs #3 and #15 wins = #3 just lost their tune-up fight. Probably had a bad weight cut.
#66 (his current ranking on fightmatrix) vs #3 when #66 has very little experience and #66 wins = who the hell was this #66 guy/OMG GOAT/etc

I take it back. See above. Khamzat is currently ranked #66 in the world at fightmatrix. There's no fucking way anyone has ever won a fight at a gap of 63-damn spots. Leave him at #66. UFC... promote the shit out of that fact actually.

Last edited:
He beat Rhys Mckee and who else? Him being ranked definitely makes zero sense lol, if rankings went as far as 50 he probably shouldn't even be top 50 yet.

Anderson Silva was UFC champ within 2 fights.
I think you're missing what I'm saying. When was there AS BIG OF A RANKING JUMP.

Wherever Anderson was ranked prior to fighting Leben I'm betting it was in a similar realm (likely higher) than Leben's ranking. Anderson was ranked after beating Leben, so he was pretty close to Rich prior to their title fight.

I just don't want to see such a jump get punished with a loss, cuz then the whimsical fans stop giving a shit. Johnny Walker is still fun as fuck to watch, but people were high on the "Jones better watch out" train. But now? People like seeing him fight maybe, but no one gives a fuck about him long-term. That's what happens when you run up too quick. Losses are too damaging.

Take Conor McGregor. Biggest star the UFC's ever had. He debuts with a great bunch of momentum, being the Cage Warriors double champ. Despite that momentum, he still needed to fight Brimage, Holloway, Brandao, Poirier, & Siver before fighting for the belt. Even then, that was considered fast-tracked. Remember all the claims of him avoiding the like 8 wrestlers in the top15 at the time? Compared to this, that was what we call a "slow burn." By the time he lost to Diaz, his star potential was so high, his hype wasn't completely eradicated or even heavily damaged after that.

You can sell tickets for an event with hype. You can build a series of blockbusters with proven hype. But the UFC always gets a bit of pre-cum dribbling anytime a fighter makes a splash, and then they strike the iron while the fires are still being stoked. Then they end up with stained jeans, a lonely night, and a diary entry that goes:

Why can't we get more stars like Conor anymore? :'(

I think you're missing what I'm saying. When was there AS BIG OF A RANKING JUMP.

Wherever Anderson was ranked prior to fighting Leben I'm betting it was in a similar realm (likely higher) than Leben's ranking. Anderson was ranked after beating Leben, so he was pretty close to Rich prior to their title fight.
You mean ranking as the thing that determines the no1 comtender for the title?

Yeah that would override any ranking jump. I think at that time ufc didnt really have rankings but his first fight was Leben then directly title.

Its not really a record that means anything it just means you didnt beat the people in front of you.

Did you forget Brock - unranked, fought Mir in his 2nd MMA fight, first fight in the UFC. Mir was ranked #3. Lost the fight, won the title two fights (8 months) later.

Honestly for me it doesn't matter whether his ranked or not. His gonna smesh Leon anyways on Dec 19th

Yup. Let me put it this way...

#15 vs #3 and #15 wins = #3 just lost their tune-up fight. Probably had a bad weight cut.
#66 (his current ranking on fightmatrix) vs #3 when #66 has very little experience and #66 wins = who the hell was this #66 guy/OMG GOAT/etc

I take it back. See above. Khamzat is currently ranked #66 in the world at fightmatrix. There's no fucking way anyone has ever won a fight at a gap of 63-damn spots. Leave him at #66. UFC... promote the shit out of that fact actually.
If we're going by Fightmatrix rankings.... you might be right. That's gotta be one of the biggest gaps ever in a matchup.

What was the rankings gap between Brock and Mir in Brock's UFC debut? If there's one that trumps it... it's gotta be that. Hard to imagine anyone could justify a top 100 ranking for Brock after having just the one fight vs Min-Soo Kim.

There's also Gall vs CM Punk... Gall certainly wasn't ranked high, but CM Punk was likely ranked dead last of all WW's competing in MMA in the entire world.

If you really want to push the guy, just make him #1 p4p. He will get there eventually anyway so why wait?

Agreed. Khamzat's lack of ranking and relatively unknown status until recently made this fight more marketable IMO. It's still a great scrap between two talented guys, but pushing Khamzat up in the rankings randomly is kind of odd.

Back