Musicians: What are you learning right now?

El_Diazo

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Thought I'd create a thread and see what fellow musicians out there are learning at the moment?
I play bass myself and am learning Vulpecks 'Dean Town' at the moment. Incredible groove, Joe Dart has a deeeep pocket that I'm trying to get into myself.
I study music at uni and am on holidays at the moment so it's fun to just be able to learn something that has no pressure. Anyway, what are you guys out there learning and on what instrument ?

Ive been working on making my lead playing have more of country twang. Theres alot of high paying studio work for country players, and a style i ignored for years

Coming from a blues background its been a pretty easy transition.

The key of F# Minor.

Already quite faimiliar with E, A and D Minor.

G is one I've dabbled in aswell.

I need to learn some major ones for a change though.

The key of F# Minor.

Focus on the intervals and all the keys should seem interchangable.

A bit of Anthrax, I kinda bagged them in another thread but I like learning some nice rhythm stuff and I do appreciate Scott Ian's playing so Among the Living it has been lately.

I play a little bit of fingerstyle guitar, not that great as I don't practice enough lol. But at the moment I am learning Dylan's Buckets of Rain, easy enough, starting to get the hang of it -

Here's another little snippet of one of my fav songs, Green Green Rocky Road -

I am tackling this song right now and I hope I am able to do it justice and not butcher it

The key of F# Minor.

thats rad man. I agree on learning intervals, I'd also suggest learning the Nashville number system too. It's pretty easy and will help you learn to transpose. Keep it up man!

Havnt learned a full song in awhile, but I've set bar high.

I love this one so much and I realized while learning the crazy intro that it's in the key of F# minor, so that's a plus, given that I'm working inside that key right now.

I've been playing for almost 15 years but I focused almost solely on technique, how to read tabs, but how to actually play... that's something that I've sadly neglected for so long.

Technique is just a set of tools, it isn't all you need, without proper knowledge... it's like being a Boxer and having all the techniques down, but not knowing how to string them all together and when and where to use them to make a proper fighter.

I guess you could say I've been a guitar player for a decade and a half, but am only now learning how to be a proper musician.

Ive been working on making my lead playing have more of country twang. Theres alot of high paying studio work for country players, and a style i ignored for years

Coming from a blues background its been a pretty easy transition.

Gittin' yer Telecaster on?

I've been working on slide. I just never really had much reason to learn to do it before. I fingerpick all wrong too and have been trying to correct that but its like learning to write with my left hand.

I'm learning that even a basic drum kit is pretty damn expensive.

Havnt learned a full song in awhile, but I've set bar high.

I love this one so much and I realized while learning the crazy intro that it's in the key of F# minor, so that's a plus, given that I'm working inside that key right now.

I've been playing for almost 15 years but I focused almost solely on technique, how to read tabs, but how to actually play... that's something that I've sadly neglected for so long.

Technique is just a set of tools, it isn't all you need, without proper knowledge... it's like being a Boxer and having all the techniques down, but not knowing how to string them all together and when and where to use them to make a proper fighter.

I guess you could say I've been a guitar player for a decade and a half, but am only now learning how to be a proper musician.

Yeah its crazy how people can neglect that for so long. Ive met plenty of people who can play Steve Vai solos note for note.. But have no clue how to play music.

I feel lucky i met one of my best friends in highschool. During hurricane Katrina this guy moved to Texas temporarily while New Orleans got smacked around.

He was a phenominal musician for a 16 year old. He basically lived at my house and taught me alot. If i never met that guy, i could have easily continued to neglect music theory.

Its kind of sad, my buddy got tendonitis really bad and he cant even play music hardly these days.

Sounds like youre doing the right things. Keep it up and pretty soon youll never have to look at a tab again

Edit, well.. Maybe you might need it for that music still lol.

I've been working on slide. I just never really had much reason to learn to do it before. I fingerpick all wrong too and have been trying to correct that but its like learning to write with my left hand.

Get your Jeff Beck on.

I'm learning that even a basic drum kit is pretty damn expensive.

How much is your budget? I'm a professional drummer, I can help with tips, where/how to find killer deals.

I do a lot of cover work with groups, so I'm always learning tunes (or, re-learning). Right now I'm learning 3 hours of 'new country' tunes.

1234443297_ken_park_suicide.gif

Back