Muscular Fatigue when rolling

TrojanStealth

White Belt
Reaction score
When I'm training MMA/BJJ, my muscles always fatigue far before my cardio/wind. Specifically, my shoulders start to burn and build up with lactic acid, therefore reducing my power and endurance to zero. Is there anything I can do to combat this? I'm already taking Creatine/Beta Alanine. Anyone with any similar experience?

More reps with free weights, or reps in general working out those areas.

learn to relax and breathe. sounds like you're trying to muscle through moves.

As you grapple more, your conditioning will improve by itself. If you want to speed it along, resistance training for endurance will help. There are a lot of ways to go about this, and there is a conditioning forum where you might want to peek at.

This happens to me too, but it's slowly getting better. Eating right before training makes a big difference.

Edit: by eating right I mean properly, not just before you train

Grappling more will help, but lifting weights will help assist too.

If you aren't heavy lifting why are you taking creatine?

My forearms lock up and cramp after a long training session. So do my calf muscles from time to time if I'm playing a lot of guard. Getting tired is part of grappling. Just keep pushing through it, because it will buy you an extra few minutes the next time out.

Also, make sure you are properly hydrated and have enough potassium etc. in your diet. It helps prevent cramping and muscle fatigue.

Sounds like you are stressing those muscles way too much. Not to sound condecending (sp) but learn to use better technique as opposed to strength, bc that shouldnt happen.

Sounds like you are stressing those muscles way too much. Not to sound condecending (sp) but learn to use better technique as opposed to strength, bc that shouldnt happen.

Yeah, it sounds like you could be squeezing subs that might not be there. I've seen guys try their hardest to get a triangle that wasn't there and their legs start shaking. If the guy doesn't tap after a couple seconds you should move on.

Its probably due to you using too much stregth and not enough technique.

The only thing that ever gets tight/fatigued with my anymore is usually my forarms or sometimes calf muscles. This usually only happens against guys who have like 50 plus pounds on me and I have to really work to break their grips.

I think chin ups, pull ups and pushups are the best exercises for grappling..maybe high rep squats and deads too. I finally hit 30 pullups and chin ups today new record! I might even be able to hit 35 soon to as I didnt go to failure on first set! Never thought I would get this high. :icon_chee

Yeah, it sounds like you could be squeezing subs that might not be there. I've seen guys try their hardest to get a triangle that wasn't there and their legs start shaking. If the guy doesn't tap after a couple seconds you should move on.

Yea it sounds like the kinda situation where you have a guillotine and he guy passes your guard but you are still holding it while he has you in side mount. I never understood why people dont let go at that point, they usually end up putting themselves at risk for a kimura or arm bar or burn themselves out.

Yea it sounds like the kinda situation where you have a guillotine and he guy passes your guard but you are still holding it while he has you in side mount. I never understood why people dont let go at that point, they usually end up putting themselves at risk for a kimura or arm bar or burn themselves out.

This reminds me of a funny occurance at a recent tourney. I actually saw a guy in the begginer division tap to a guillotine while he was in side control. lol

I've been training over a year and I have the same problem, specifically in my arms. I'm a really skinny guy, around 6'2 and 150 pounds. Because of my small size I never try to outmuscle anyone, I try to use proper technique. I'm just a white belt so obviously my technique sucks and I'm not conserving as much energy as I could be, but I'm doing as well as I can and my muscles still fail on me after a few rounds of sparring against larger opponents. Right now I'm working on strength training and conditioning. Pushups, pullups, burpees, as well as lifting heavy. Head over to the Strength & Power forum and read the FAQ, the Conditioning forum and read the FAQ, and look up some Ross Enamait videos on YouTube.

Are you a muscle man? Mark Coleman and other muscle guys seemed to gas a little quicker. Muscles need oxygen. The more you have the more you need.

Also try glutamine as a supplement.

I'd avoid supplements, that's just treating the symptoms and not the problem. You just need to work on your conditioning. If you push yourself hard enough during rolling, that sensation should happen less frequently over time and only after much more duress. Muscular endurance is the easiest part of your fitness to train, just keep doing what makes you tired.

Are you a muscle man? Mark Coleman and other muscle guys seemed to gas a little quicker. Muscles need oxygen. The more you have the more you need.

Also try glutamine as a supplement.

He said muscle fatigue, not gassing out.

Back