Muscle sparring supplements immediately post workout?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
is this still a thing? My friend told me I should get something.. anything in my stomach to stop catabolism, even if it’s just a sugary drink.

I train mma and sometimes I don’t eat for 2-5 hours after. I always try to eat after lifting though.
I currently take creatine and taurine but I was wondering if it was worth it to buy some bcaas or glutamine.

I’m a hardgainer as it is and add that I do at least 3-4 training sessions a week I just need a way to preserve muscle.

If you've eaten a good amount of protein prior to exercise, then that protein will continue to be digested and shuttled to different parts of your body for hours. The anabolic window you're speaking about is still being debated by some. Does it exist? If it does how important is it? I've eaten directly after workouts, I've eaten hours after workouts. I've noticed no real difference in recovery or ability to make meaningful gains when doing either. If you're a "hard gainer" then calories and overall quantity of food is going to take center stage. Timing takes a back seat.

BCAA's are pretty silly. If you're eating complete sources of protein at adequate amounts you're getting plenty of BCAA's. Glutamine has been shown to be beneficial for burn victims and people with serious traumatic injuries. And even then it was given to patients intravenously as your GI tract tends to gobble it up before your body can even use it systemically. I doubt you plan on mainlining some glutamine....

If you're REALLY worried about some bro science catabolism, then eat a protein bar or drink after your MMA class. It can't hurt. Might not help either if you're already eating enough to recover for the next class or lifting session. Supplements are for those who are deficient in a nutrient, and/or for those who require absolute convenience. I just know I'd be stupid hungry if I had to wait 5 hours after an intense martial arts class so convenience would be my main objective in order to maintain my sanity.

If you've eaten a good amount of protein prior to exercise, then that protein will continue to be digested and shuttled to different parts of your body for hours. The anabolic window you're speaking about is still being debated by some. Does it exist? If it does how important is it? I've eaten directly after workouts, I've eaten hours after workouts. I've noticed no real difference in recovery or ability to make meaningful gains when doing either. If you're a "hard gainer" then calories and overall quantity of food is going to take center stage. Timing takes a back seat.

BCAA's are pretty silly. If you're eating complete sources of protein at adequate amounts you're getting plenty of BCAA's. Glutamine has been shown to be beneficial for burn victims and people with serious traumatic injuries. And even then it was given to patients intravenously as your GI tract tends to gobble it up before your body can even use it systemically. I doubt you plan on mainlining some glutamine....

If you're REALLY worried about some bro science catabolism, then eat a protein bar or drink after your MMA class. It can't hurt. Might not help either if you're already eating enough to recover for the next class or lifting session. Supplements are for those who are deficient in a nutrient, and/or for those who require absolute convenience. I just know I'd be stupid hungry if I had to wait 5 hours after an intense martial arts class so convenience would be my main objective in order to maintain my sanity.
Thanks. The thing is that sometimes I go to training on an empty stomach too. Or very little food in me. Can’t train and hit cardio hard with a full stomach. So I don’t really have the protein in me before workouts either

Thanks. The thing is that sometimes I go to training on an empty stomach too. Or very little food in me. Can’t train and hit cardio hard with a full stomach. So I don’t really have the protein in me before workouts either

That's fair. I don't like training on a really full stomach either. Fasted training feels awful to me. A small meal with about 20-30 grams of protein an hour or two before training is my sweet spot. Just gotta see what works for you and you can be consistent with.

I've had some decent training sessions when training fasted but for some bcaas (so not fasted then, but you know what I mean).

Then again, I've got like 2kg which is well out of date because I used to buy shit and never use it because I didn't think I justified it based on the training session.

I'm wondering a similiar thing as the TS, I grapple a few times a week after finally having reconstructed my soft tissue problems.

I doubt I'm short on protein but it's possible so I've started whey after work outs but my guts haven't loved it, though possibly the milk I've been having it with.

Will get some fish oil soon. I sort of know it isn't necessary but I'll do anything to avoid any sort of injury since I'm rather prone.

Yeah you don't want to be sparring or rolling with a full stomach.

I generally eat a full meal no sooner than four hours prior to training mma / grappling, train for 2+ hours, and then get home shower and then eat a meal afterwards. If you're only training 60 - 90 minutes maybe you don't need the extra protein that badly but if you're trying to gain you should eat after training/shower.

Not supplement, but food. Meat and vegetables. Maybe some rice and beans too if you aren't going low starch.

I usually workout in the mornings but even before soccer games I am having 200g of Bulgarian Yogurt with oat meals about 50g. Protein shake during work out/protein shake + banana during half times in soccer. And 2 eggs + banana post work out. It keeps me full enough and energetic enough to perform.

Back