Muh physics savants, how does time dilation work?

ScriptReadsMe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Suppose I piggyback a beam of light, what would the word look like from my perspective? Does everything come to a standstill until I stop to look around?

You are not making sense. How does one "piggy back a beam of light"? Also, how could something with mass travel the speed of light? Your question does not make sense.

Leaving.gif

You are not making sense. How does one "piggy back a beam of light"? Also, how could something with mass travel the speed of light? Your question does not make sense.

Fine, let me rephrase then. What is the relationship between objects from the perspective of a photon traveling at c speed?

I dont know how your would perceive it visually, if that is what you're asking -- my guess everything would look suspended.

But according to the Lorentz equation, there would be no progression in time from your starting reference point to the point you returned to normal speeds.

T=\frac{T_0}{\sqrt{1 - (v^2 / c^2)}}

I dont know how your would perceive it visually, if that is what you're asking -- my guess everything would look suspended.

But according to the Lorentz equation, there would be no progression in time from your starting reference point to the point you returned to normal speeds.

T=\frac{T_0}{\sqrt{1 - (v^2 / c^2)}}

If no progression in time is made, would this mean that a photon emitted from the Sun is everywhere at once? :/

If no progression in time is made, would this mean that a photon emitted from the Sun is everywhere at once? :/

To the photon it may appear like that; to us no.

The observation would be different pending to the observer. That is how we can track speed of light.

TS it's easy. Sit on top of an Amtrak train. Look at the still world. Multiple by c.

ts im a psychiatrist. you're gay.

evaluation complete. that will be 10,000 dollars

What was his name? Lubalong? He would have answered if he were here. He helped me with homework before. A true genius.

What was his name? Lubalong? He would have answered if he were here. He helped me with homework before. A true genius.
Actually as he is asking a hypothetical question, with our current level of science even the smartest person can only give a theoretical answer as the question, as this is untestable and unobservable.

physics is very complex.

Last edited:

Also, from recent research it appears photons do have a mass, albeit a small one. Otherwise photons would never decay, and they do

Did you skip the day they explained the meaning of "suppose" in school ?

hawkings may have talked about tme dialtion.

Last edited:
Also, from recent research it appears photons do have a mass, albeit a small one. Otherwise photons would never decay, and they do

Technically, no.

a Photon has no rest mass -- but it does have a weird quantum mechanics behavior in that it can produce kinetic energy

same principle applies to a gluon

Technically, no.

a Photon has no rest mass -- but it does have a weird quantum mechanics behavior in that it can produce kinetic energy

same principle applies to a gluon

What would happen if for example one would throw a single photon into a microscopic black hole? Wouldn't the mass of the black hole increase?

What would happen if for example one would throw a single photon into a microscopic black hole? Wouldn't the mass of the black hole increase?

You have to remember, a photon although contains no resting mass, is in itself, never in rest. Its always c. So, if you could theoretically isolate a photon (ie hold it in your hand and toss into a black hole -- it would not increase the mass) however, since photons are always at c -- the kinetic energy it has when it enters a black hole, would increase the BH's mass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back