Muh physics savants, how does time dilation work?

Fine, let me rephrase then. What is the relationship between objects from the perspective of a photon traveling at c speed?
An observer would see every point it ever traveled to at one time. And everything would be standing still. Time stops at c.

Read Brian Greene's 3 books. The Elegant Universe, The Fabric of the Cosmos, and The Hidden Reality. Those books changed my life. I need to revisit them myself. My theoretical physics is pretty damn rusty.

Since time is "relative," I think everything would look normal...to you. But to us you would be a fucking beam of light, man. A beam of light.

Since time is "relative," I think everything would look normal...to you. But to us you would be a fucking beam of light, man. A beam of light.
tumblr_lsioa0kxhb1qkqkhko1_500.gif

Well you can't see at the speed of light, the "speed of sight" is shit

Technically, no.

a Photon has no rest mass -- but it does have a weird quantum mechanics behavior in that it can produce kinetic energy

same principle applies to a gluon

Some recent models show the photon might have a very tiny rest mass. It's lifetime is on the order of a billion billion years according to this model. Photons might decay eventually into neutrinos.

That's rather fucked. If time is irrelevant to a photon, then so is distance.
Correct. Anything moving at c has no perception of time as we know it. At the same time, I think it's billions upon billions of times more likely that something is wrong with our model than that something with mass can nevertheless move at c. Please provide a source for this evidence of photon decay, since I have not heard anything about this observation.

Last edited:
Some recent models show the photon might have a very tiny rest mass. It's lifetime is on the order of a billion billion years according to this model. Photons might decay eventually into neutrinos.

Yeah, i saw Heeck explain that model at the Perimeter institute but his model is based on CMB observation of black body spectrum -- which if true, could not be proven as the 13.8 billion years wouldnt be enough time to calculated the decay of a photon at speed.

Didnt know about the neutrino part.

Last edited:
you can fool reality, it has been proven. alot of people think that fooling reality is part of the future.

An observer would see every point it ever traveled to at one time. And everything would be standing still. Time stops at c.
I need to qualify this. Time stands still for the observer traveling at the speed of light. However, that means everything else around the observer would seem to be sped up in time. The observer would basically see everything that ever happened and will happen, from their point of view, all at once.

I need to qualify this. Time stands still for the observer traveling at the speed of light. However, that means everything else around the observer would seem to be sped up in time. The observer would basically see everything that ever happened and will happen, from their point of view, all at once.

source that?

who came up with 24 hours in a day?

Last edited:
Read Brian Greene's 3 books. The Elegant Universe, The Fabric of the Cosmos, and The Hidden Reality. Those books changed my life. I need to revisit them myself. My theoretical physics is pretty damn rusty.

lol changed your life how?

I read the first two... lol @ the blind faith level gymnastics most of the theories are built on.

Those books did have an impact on me tho, showed me that theoretical physics was a subject pursued by only the most stubborn and myopic of people.

Back