Muay Thai/Kickboxing: Right-hand, left-leg dominant; what stance?

OAO

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker. I've been doing "Dutch" style Muay Thai for a while and it's been noticed that my switch kick is more powerful and fluid than my rear roundhouse. I'm right handed, so I fight from an orthodox stance. However, I did fencing for 5 years when I younger, and in fencing the orthodox stance has the left leg back. You do a lot of explosive lunges off the left foot, which really stretches out the hip/groin in that area. I think that's why my switch kicks are stronger.

Anyway, given that my left leg roundhouse is stronger than my right, should I consider moving to a southpaw stance even though I'm right-handed? I actually prefer punching to kicking, but maybe my left cross would be stronger than my right cross because of that fencing conditioning my left hip. Dunno. Even if it is, won't I lose precision on my cross?

Hi all, long time lurker. I've been doing "Dutch" style Muay Thai for a while and it's been noticed that my switch kick is more powerful and fluid than my rear roundhouse. I'm right handed, so I fight from an orthodox stance. However, I did fencing for 5 years when I younger, and in fencing the orthodox stance has the left leg back. You do a lot of explosive lunges off the left foot, which really stretches out the hip/groin in that area. I think that's why my switch kicks are stronger.

Anyway, given that my left leg roundhouse is stronger than my right, should I consider moving to a southpaw stance even though I'm right-handed? I actually prefer punching to kicking, but maybe my left cross would be stronger than my right cross because of that fencing conditioning my left hip. Dunno. Even if it is, won't I lose precision on my cross?

Having an accurate jab, a normal, knock out cross, and a great lead leg kick sounds like the best possible situation to me. I do most of my kicking with my lead leg. I'd leave it how you are.

Either way, IMO.

In KB, against a righty, you're can throw your left leg more often whether in an orthodox or southpaw stance, so it's just a matter of if you want a strong jab or cross.

Again, this is just my opinion (I am a southpaw).

I'd stay orthodox. I feel fine about my jab as a righty, but I'd love to have a better left kick.

Southpaw
You could really benefits from having southpaw's advantage vs most people who go orthodox out there. Although before it you should really test if you can truly go over southpaw by switching your stance to southpaw and then test your lead (now your right) hook. If you can generate considerable power with it, then go for southpaw. If everything goes well, you should be able to have a good jab, a lead hook, and a cross in your boxing, now add that with rear leg strikes i'd say you are quite on the way.

Yeah, it must be said that your body will likely want you to go one way or the other. It's not just a question of dominant limbs. For example, when I stand southpaw, I feel completely unbalanced trying to mirror the movements I'd do in orthodox.

I tried to stand in orthodox in classical boxing stance and it felt awful, too.

Just stand square on...that way you don't have to commit to orthodox or southpaw!

Stay with your orthodox stance. Nothing wrong with having a powerful lead leg kick. You will still have more target opportunities with your lead leg against their open side (if they are orthodox). Buakaw has a very good lead leg switch kick and it's never done him any harm.

Personally I would say do either, but there are advatages to being a lead handed southpaw against an orthodox striker. Best examples of the powerful main hand and southpaw stance are manny pacquio, anderson silva and marvin hagler.

Southpaw
You could really benefits from having southpaw's advantage vs most people who go orthodox out there. Although before it you should really test if you can truly go over southpaw by switching your stance to southpaw and then test your lead (now your right) hook. If you can generate considerable power with it, then go for southpaw. If everything goes well, you should be able to have a good jab, a lead hook, and a cross in your boxing, now add that with rear leg strikes i'd say you are quite on the way.

Toutchy subject...
All I can say is PROTECT your liver if you go southpaw.
That said, have you concider not choosing a side and switching stance back and forth?

i'm the opposite. i'm a lefty, but stand orthodox...my best punch is my lead left hook. my left low kick is my best kick too. people hardly see it coming...especially when i just throw it without hittin' a switch

Just stand square on...that way you don't have to commit to orthodox or southpaw!

It gives you lot of options wich is nice and people will look at you like they don't know what the hell you are doing... until you KO someone in sparring from a kick to right shoulder.

A lot of right handed punchers have a great left kick (switch or otherwise) like Overeem, Cerrone, Rumble, Pettis, Jones.

They each work kicks into their games in a different way and it is hard to say if they are really "left leg dominant" or simply finding and creating more openings for said left kick and working it in with powerful rear right hands.

Also, with all left kicks you are planting and rotating/thrusting your weight around your RIGHT leg - firing the left leg as a result.

Eh, stance switching is advanced stuffs. Better stick to the one side first and get better at it before anything else.

Eh, stance switching is advanced stuffs. Better stick to the one side first and get better at it before anything else.

Lol how can you consider this advanced stuff, but what pernell whitaker did "fundamentals"..

I wouldnt really consider it advanced either, just unorthodox, I dont think many fighters would actually train in their opposite stance

Lol how can you consider this advanced stuff, but what pernell whitaker did "fundamentals"..

I wouldnt really consider it advanced either, just unorthodox, I dont think many fighters would actually train in their opposite stance

You wouldn't consider attempting to learn all the intricacies of offense, defense, movement, and balance for two opposite stances advanced?

You wouldn't consider attempting to learn all the intricacies of offense, defense, movement, and balance for two opposite stances advanced?

well not really, I would consider James Toney shoulder rolling advanced stuff, but he didnt really learn to fight in the opposite stance, nor did many fighters.. most just switch for a sec to confuse their opponent.. its not a very common thing, because your pretty much gimped in that stance.. your never going to fight like in your natural stance anyways..

like RJJ leaping hooks and UCs, theyre not really advanced but unorthodox I'd say

Back