"Muay Thai is the clinch" - true or false?

ill bite my way out of a triangle
Closer to being stuck in bottom mount or heavy scarf and trying to KO the opponent from there with hands.... instead of getting better position and working from there

This.

Also, any one can have an opinion, but I only really take seriously the opinion of people who show themselves to be educated on subjects. .

It wasn't a random poster who made the original claim. It was a Thai who introduced MT to a boxer

Downward elbow as a counter to a body hook is one I've gotten a couple of times

it takes a lot of practice, but once mastered, is a solid technique.

main-qimg-fda4c171732803415f435235b68a54b9-c

It wasn't a random poster who made the original claim. It was a Thai who introduced MT to a boxer
Except we don't know who the boxer is nor who the Muay Thai trainer is. We can't just take the word of some rando. Plus, people can't explain a technique perfectly until they've drilled it and gained experience using it in a fight or sparring. The technique was being explained by someone that had just learned it.

Other posters in the thread also talked about using it in a loose clinch.

No name of the guy, no name of the Thai. It was a random poster.

Plus, I was Thai trained, I was discouraged from punching in the clinch, and so are the majority of people who are thai trained. Also, we have no context to what the guy ACTUALLY said - the Thai could have just been demonstrating the technique in a way that made sense. Either way that thread isn't worth anything.

No name of the guy, no name of the Thai. It was a random poster.

Plus, I was Thai trained, I was discouraged from punching in the clinch, and so are the majority of people who are thai trained. Also, we have no context to what the guy ACTUALLY said - the Thai could have just been demonstrating the technique in a way that made sense. Either way that thread isn't worth anything.

If you're gonna take that attitude, it's no meaning discussing martial arts on a forum. We have to give the poster the benefit of the doubt. Just because your Thai said something different doesn't mean his Thai was wrong and your Thai was right

If you're gonna take that attitude, it's no meaning discussing martial arts on a forum. We have to give the poster the benefit of the doubt. Just because your Thai said something different doesn't mean his Thai was wrong and your Thai was right

So you can't read then?

So you can't read then?

What part of this is unclear??

then i asked him what if my opponents get me in the clinch not the other way around thats when he told me to either outwrestle them or try to find a time when the clinch is loose and throw an uppercut in

Some people say "Boxing is the jab", Karate "is the tsuki/straight punch" and TaeKwonDo "is the side kick". In that same spirit, a Muay Thai fighter told me: Muay Thai is the clinch. I completely understand what he was getting at.

Now the question is...

Do you agree?....
older mt fighters didnt have to clinch as often. they are on the right path. clinch is great for mma but glory limits clinching and i prefer that sport.

Bare with me here since I haven't done Muay Thai.

I get lose from whatever grip the fucker has on me, I take an elbow from him to give back a full hip torque uppercut on his jaw.

Too dangerous to gamble that elbow or is it much more complex than this?

Bare with me here since I haven't done Muay Thai.

I get lose from whatever grip the fucker has on me, I take an elbow from him to give back a full hip torque uppercut on his jaw.

Too dangerous to gamble that elbow or is it much more complex than this?
Elbows crack man, its harder and denser bone than the small fragile ones in our hands, you get hit by those its not fun, especially if you're not used to it. When you throw elbows you usually have the guard up so its tight. I wouldn't trade an elbow to give an uppercut that probably will hit guard or miss. There are tricks where you throw elbows in as you're controlling like having double bicep control (ideal), and moving to get one hard behind the neck, and elbow comes up from (analog clock pov) 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock and gripping the neck after.

if you dont know how to clinch, you're not getting lose easily. and if you do the rookie ducking out escape, a knee that was aimed at your body will end up coming to your head. And if you dont know how to clinch, you'll gas. You're in a state where you're being ragdolled and spun around as you're getting hit, your breathing is not going to be composed and it will be irregular which leads to getting gassed. You can be a great athlete, but if your breathing pattern is compromised and you are stressed, you will gas. Its one reason why people new to the sport gas even if they are superior athletes with long years of accomplishments.

The scenario you're picturing is where you somehow escape, regain your balance (and not gassed from the entire ordeal), meanwhile he's staying there surprised and stunned that you escaped, wouldn't mount an offense, won't see a telegraphed strike coming, throws a elbow (lets say a right elbow 3 to 9 o'click, instead of a spear tip), you eat it, it doesn't phase you because you're already in the motions of throwing the uppercut, it lands and he goes down.

I mean if it was a scene in a movie it could happen, but pretty unrealistic to assume the other factors. More realistic with lack of exp in clinching and elbows is to escape, keep distance and rework your kickboxing and gameplan

Elbows crack man, its harder and denser bone than the small fragile ones in our hands, you get hit by those its not fun, especially if you're not used to it. When you throw elbows you usually have the guard up so its tight. I wouldn't trade an elbow to give an uppercut that probably will hit guard or miss. There are tricks where you throw elbows in as you're controlling like having double bicep control (ideal), and moving to get one hard behind the neck, and elbow comes up from (analog clock pov) 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock and gripping the neck after.

if you dont know how to clinch, you're not getting lose easily. and if you do the rookie ducking out escape, a knee that was aimed at your body will end up coming to your head. And if you dont know how to clinch, you'll gas. You're in a state where you're being ragdolled and spun around as you're getting hit, your breathing is not going to be composed and it will be irregular which leads to getting gassed. You can be a great athlete, but if your breathing pattern is compromised and you are stressed, you will gas. Its one reason why people new to the sport gas even if they are superior athletes with long years of accomplishments.

The scenario you're picturing is where you somehow escape, regain your balance (and not gassed from the entire ordeal), meanwhile he's staying there surprised and stunned that you escaped, wouldn't mount an offense, won't see a telegraphed strike coming, throws a elbow (lets say a right elbow 3 to 9 o'click, instead of a spear tip), you eat it, it doesn't phase you because you're already in the motions of throwing the uppercut, it lands and he goes down.

I mean if it was a scene in a movie it could happen, but pretty unrealistic to assume the other factors. More realistic with lack of exp in clinching and elbows is to escape, keep distance and rework your kickboxing and gameplan

So a Jiujitsu practioner is fucked in the clinch too?

Elbows crack man, its harder and denser bone than the small fragile ones in our hands, you get hit by those its not fun,

Power is not the reason they're banned in most sports, it's cuts, which can ruin a match quickly.

So a Jiujitsu practioner is fucked in the clinch too?
If they're in a sport where takedowns and groundwork is banned, while taking abuse in the clinch where they're used to; Coming from a sport with no striking whatsoever, yeah they are. If its MMA their chance is to get it to the ground

Power is not the reason they're banned in most sports, it's cuts, which can ruin a match quickly.
You get cuts in boxing and its fine. If you're talking about the ban in ammy its not because of cuts. Spinning backfists are banned in the novice class because they don't get distance and always wanna back jumping into a spinning backfist and end up eating an elbow. You have headgear on, it basically negates the chances of being cut. Sure you have the odd chance it'll happen, but its such a rare phenomenon and with elbow pads its not going to happen.

Have you been hit with an elbow before? Because you write it off like its some flimsy cheap strike that only cuts. There are fighters that focus on using it for cuts, and others that use it like an impact tool. The Japanese MT scene is the latter

If they're in a sport where takedowns and groundwork is banned, while taking abuse in the clinch where they're used to; Coming from a sport with no striking whatsoever,

With takedowns allowed. Are they better off getting out of there and shoot for the legs or can they get the takedown?

Back