"Muay Thai is the clinch" - true or false?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some people say "Boxing is the jab", Karate "is the tsuki/straight punch" and TaeKwonDo "is the side kick". In that same spirit, a Muay Thai fighter told me: Muay Thai is the clinch. I completely understand what he was getting at.

Now the question is...

Do you agree?....

Some people say "Boxing is the jab", Karate "is the tsuki/straight punch" and TaeKwonDo "is the side kick". In that same spirit, a Muay Thai fighter told me: Muay Thai is the clinch. I completely understand what he was getting at.

Now the question is...

Do you agree?....
<Kpop01>Put up a clinch sample so as I can see what you are talking about.

It's equivalent to having Lil Jon and the Eastside Boyz follow you around 24/7

And then they speed it up it round 3? Something like that, and that's when you're supposed to bang

The Clinch is what seperates MT from KB. Its a huge part of MT for sure.....if someone told me to respond to Boxing is the Jab, I would probably say MT is the leg kick.............but yeah no clinch no MT.

The music is known as sarama. I think training with it on is lame, but I enjoy fighting with the music on. It felt weird fighting without it on. Its not something you would want to get up and dance too. Its like a ritual or war music or something. I dont know but I definitley enjoy fighting with the music and think a MT fight without the music is lame.

The Clinch is what seperates MT from KB. Its a huge part of MT for sure.....if someone told me to respond to Boxing is the Jab, I would probably say MT is the leg kick.............but yeah no clinch no MT.

The music is known as sarama. I think training with it on is lame, but I enjoy fighting with the music on. It felt weird fighting without it on. Its not something you would want to get up and dance too. Its like a ritual or war music or something. I dont know but I definitley enjoy fighting with the music and think a MT fight without the music is lame.
I rather fight with these on:

If you dont know how to clinch, you will get raped.

People here in norway ask me if i was afraid of the elbows. But i always answer that it was the clinch i was afraid of

KK low kicks are not less terrible..............

If you dont know how to clinch, you will get raped.

While this may be true generally, there are boxers transitioning to Muay Thai who lit guys up in sparring, and were told in advanced that they would get fucked up.

I was told the EXACT same thing when I went from TMA to Boxing.

While this may be true generally, there are boxers transitioning to Muay Thai who lit guys up in sparring, and were told in advanced that they would get fucked up.

I was told the EXACT same thing when I went from TMA to Boxing.
In MT you can have shitty kickboxing, but if you dont know how to clinch, like Frode said, you are getting fucked. And body hooks are not going to save you in the clinch, its going to work against you. Don't take sparring as the real thing, one party holds back while the other is looking to make a point, fights are where you want to look

Last edited:
In MT you can have shitty kickboxing, but if you dont know how to clinch, like Shin said, you are getting fucked. And body hooks are not going to save you in the clinch, its going to work against you. Don't take sparring as the real thing, one party holds back while the other is looking to make a point, fights are where you want to look
I train all of my guys to know in their bones that anyone who’s trying to box in the clinch doesn’t know how to clinch fight. If your opponent or sparring partner is throwing punches in the clinch I expect my fighters to start waltzing them all over the mats while hammering knees and touching elbows.

Back