Muay Thai Combos

have to agree, the first combo doesn't make a whole lot of sense. following the head kick with a leg kick seems pointless, and I can't really picture someone pulling it off...leading with that left hook to the body sounds like a bad idea as well.

So, I went to this seminar with Kaensak Sor.Pleonchit. He is one of Thailand's best fighters from the 90's. After the seminar ended, we had a question and answer period, and someone asked him "What is your favorite combination?"

Kaensak looked at the guy like he had sprouted and extra head, and replied, "I use what works."

never lead in with a body or thigh punch. period. i know gilbert melendez will do it, but dont.

So, I went to this seminar with Kaensak Sor.Pleonchit. He is one of Thailand's best fighters from the 90's. After the seminar ended, we had a question and answer period, and someone asked him "What is your favorite combination?"

Kaensak looked at the guy like he had sprouted and extra head, and replied, "I use what works."

Dude teaches at a gym in South Jersey.

Dude teaches at a gym in South Jersey.

Yup. When I went to the seminar it was just after he had joined that gym. It was called KPOZ back then. Don't know what they call it now. I would love to go back and train with him again. Maybe next year I'll be able to....

Yup. When I went to the seminar it was just after he had joined that gym. It was called KPOZ back then. Don't know what they call it now. I would love to go back and train with him again. Maybe next year I'll be able to....

I'm only about 30-40 minutes away from the gym, but I was told he only teaches on Monday, and I've got another class on Monday. Bummer. It's nice having a legend like that so close by.

right cross, left hook, right kick to anywhere.

i stand regular and sometimes mix in a jab before the cross

is that the same khunsak who's a trainer at muay thai plaza in bgk ?

somebody should have told that idiot that thais dont use combinations and if they do throw multiple hits , its in a free flowing rip fashion.
They dont use set combinations...........a lot has to do with their scoring system. Why throw 3 punches and a kick to the leg when none of them will score and if the leg kick lands it wont do much damage (to the thai)
plus throwing a combination that ends with a body kick (their main move) is a bit awkward and takes a lot of power off that kick. Better to just smash that in from the get go.

i dont agree with it but i do understand their reasons.

That seems to be one of the main differences between the Thai and the Dutch styles of Muay Thai. The Thais are more instinctive and more sporadic in the way the they throw combos. Instead they use kicks,punches knees and elbows as the opportunities present themselves. They adapt to the flow of the fight and use what they need to in order to win.

The Dutch on the other hand are more repetition and drill based and use set combos and patterns much more in the way they train and they way they fight.

In short the Thais "freestyle it" and the Dutch program themselves to be "combo machines".

I myself prefer the Dutch style of Muay Thai , but have infinite respect for the Thai's way of doing things as well.

Two of my favorite combos would have to be 1,2, left low or head kick and 1,2,3 (body or head), right kick (low or head kick).

never lead in with a body punch. period. dont.

yeah you can. Right after slipping a right hand or after pushing him back with your right hand. Hell if you lean up against the ropes and shell , too.

most MT/MMA guys dont have good head movement or body awareness. What counts is what you do after throwing that left hook. If , after throwing it , im still standing in the same plane then i deserve to get smacked.
Usually after i throw it , im out of there. Your right hand counter sails by and sometimes i pop back in (watching out for your left hook after that missed rt hand) and pop another left hook to the ribs.

Most people (rightly so) cover up when they see that left body punch coming. You have a split second afterwards to make a defensive move before his counter.
If you're stupid enough to try an counter with a Rt hand as i throw my left body punch , you expose your flank in the worst way and will get hit first (cuz i initiated).

The only time you shouldnt do it is when the guy has a serious speed/footwork advantage on you. If the guy can punch you before you throw it or if he moves out of range and makes you whiff ...then thats bad.

is that the same khunsak who's a trainer at muay thai plaza in bgk ?

somebody should have told that idiot that thais dont use combinations and if they do throw multiple hits , its in a free flowing rip fashion.
They dont use set combinations...........a lot has to do with their scoring system. Why throw 3 punches and a kick to the leg when none of them will score and if the leg kick lands it wont do much damage (to the thai)
plus throwing a combination that ends with a body kick (their main move) is a bit awkward and takes a lot of power off that kick. Better to just smash that in from the get go.

i dont agree with it but i do understand their reasons.

Kaensak currently teaches in New Jersey -- it was mentioned a few posts ago.

yeah you can. Right after slipping a right hand or after pushing him back with your right hand. Hell if you lean up against the ropes and shell , too...The only time you shouldnt do it is when the guy has a serious speed/footwork advantage on you. If the guy can punch you before you throw it or if he moves out of range and makes you whiff ...then thats bad.

Made some good points. I see where you're coming from, now my turn.

after slipping a right hand or after pushing him back

sooo huh?, then we're arguing the same point...which is; don't lead in with a body punch. jab or push off the guy first...plus you didn't address my main concern with people changing levels just to throw a body punch (especially in a thai fight), which is this:

jose-aldo_rolando-perez.gif

NuTzOnSwOll: what do you train anyways? sounds like you're a boxer...

MilitantWorker;40618571]
sooo huh?, then we're arguing the same point...which is; don't lead in with a body punch. jab or push off the guy first

not really. If i slip your punch then throw a left body punch as my first strike or fake/feint you to shell n then rip a body shot , then technically i did lead with that.

but yeah , if me and you are just standing there and then all of a sudden i try a body shot...thats stupid.

...plus you didn't address my main concern with people changing levels just to throw a body punch (especially in a thai fight), which is this:

jose-aldo_rolando-perez.gif

Let me list the number of things that idiot did wrong.

first , Jose aldo is a seriously fast n twitchy individual. Remember the part where i said DONT try that with a faster guy (or one with better reactions/anticipation) . Aldo would be an example.
Secondly , the guy threw a jab to the body :rolleyes: why the fuck would you do that in an MMA match. It does not hurt much and the risk/reward doesnt add up. He also tried it from so far away (a no-no). Obviously , you're going to eat a straight right or (in this case) a knee to the chops.
Now if he had a tried a left body hook (after any setup/slip) that would have been different. The reward (pain/KO/winded) is good , the risk is negligible. Too close and the wrong angle to get kneed or low kicked. Too close to get crossed. Right hook must wait for the LH to land. Only REAL danger is a counter elbow/left hook.
That jab had no power in it to disrupt Aldo's base (unlike a LBH or Right Cross). Notice how Aldo just contemptuously brushed it aside and kneed him.

Also look at how this idiot used it against a static n waiting Aldo. If you do want to throw that body jab (especially in MMA/MT) you throw that while you both are moving.That shot is meant as a stop , kinda like a teep and as a surprise scoring move. Get him to look down ...POW ..come up with a LH or RC. You throw that to a static opp even in boxing and you're gonna eat a solid right cross or left hook (long). Aldo was just waiting for him . I believe even if that guy had farted right then , Aldo was gonna knee him. He was just waiting for him to move. Did this guy try that a number of times ?

NuTzOnSwOll: what do you train anyways? sounds like you're a boxer

i do both ....MT and Boxing.

i try to take the best of both . I use the foward march/ring cutting/power shotting/relaxation of MT in my boxing and use boxing hands,feints,fakes, in n out footwork, circling , combos and head movement in my MT

:icon_chee

imo practicioners from both arts are too eager to dismiss the other's techniques.
With a lil bit of adjustment and knowledge they can be adapted quite nicely.
Though i think MT has more to learn from Boxing rather than vice versa. Thats because we use their hands but they dont need our kicks/knees/elbows.

Watch, in the next 5-10 years, the next big jump in MMA evolution will be improved boxing (think dutch style not PBF style) and Judo throws/takedowns/top control.

Secondly , the guy threw a jab to the body :rolleyes: why the fuck would you do that in an MMA match. It does not hurt much and the risk/reward doesnt add up. He also tried it from so far away (a no-no). Obviously , you're going to eat a straight right or (in this case) a knee to the chops.

JDS throws a crapload of jabs to the body to set up a big right hand. Rolando Perez's fault wasn't that he threw a body jab, but that like you said he tried it from far away and when Aldo was totally prepared and in a position to counter.

Obviously every move has a counter, but it's the job of the fighter to throw the technique when he has a minimal chance of being countered. And Perez didn't do that.

As to their effectiveness, I dunno but I was screwing around with a guy at the gym going bareknuckle only to the body, and body jabs hurt like 3x as much as with gloves on. I imagine it's similar with MMA gloves!

ambertch;40628823]JDS throws a crapload of jabs to the body to set up a big right hand.

as a HWT , things are different. Even a jab to the body is pretty heavy (especially from JDS). Like i said , u throw the jab to the body either as a stop or as a setup ....to smash in a RC like JDS. This Perez guy did neither. He threw it just because.

Obviously every move has a counter,

exactly.....so going back to the original discussion, dont be scared to bodyshot in MT just cuz you're scared of the counter. Not everybody has that perfect counter waiting at the perfect time for every shot.

As to their effectiveness, I dunno but I was screwing around with a guy at the gym going bareknuckle only to the body, and body jabs hurt like 3x as much as with gloves on. I imagine it's similar with MMA gloves

yea it hurts bare knuckle but i could punch you on the shoulder bareknuckle n that'll hurt too. That shit more like stings. Throw in the adrenaline from a fight n you wont even feel it.
compared to the other shots u have at your disposal , i think the jab to the body is the least likely to hurt.
Now 10-12 rounds of boxing...yeah , its more effective . 5x3 or 5x5 minute rounds ..no.

left inner thigh kick
left jab or hammer
right cross
right low shin

Back