Muay thai clinch questions

1, So they just let you head controle for body punches. Major boxing mistake.
You keep your left arm tight around them, widen your stance, toss elbow from the right. Do it like you would toss a righthook or cross. WARNING only do if elbow are allowed (other guy has a helmet).

2, What you are doing is nice but may resemble judo's Ogoshi. Don't go under their hip. What you wanna do is simply toss them aside for a kick/knee. Going under someones center of gravity lunch them into a trow instead of a toss..

3, You are starting to sound like a pushover when you clinch. So am I.
Try to bend them and knee the side.
Knee harder, go southpaw and knee for the left.
Hold them tight, press down on them, circle around and knee sides.
Yeah im a total pushover in all sparring, kinda. I go like 20% but the guy I spar with the most goes 100%. Hes kod a couple people and is always trying to on me.

I've edit my post into a longer responce.

Glad you are, To me MT and conservatism don't go together but that's an other story.

1, So they just let you head controle for body punches. Major boxing mistake.
You keep your left arm tight around them, widen your stance, toss elbow from the right. Do it like you would toss a righthook or cross. WARNING only do if elbow are allowed (other guy has a helmet).

2, What you are doing is nice but may resemble judo's Ogoshi. Don't go under their hip. What you wanna do is simply toss them aside for a kick/knee. Going under someones center of gravity lunch them into a trow instead of a toss..

3, You are starting to sound like a pushover when you clinch. So am I.
Try to bend them and knee the side.
Knee harder, go southpaw and knee for the left.
Hold them tight, press down on them, circle around and knee sides.

As Saamag said,

There is more to clinching than double collar.
It's a big nooby mistake to just fight for double collar controle. Because it is taking what you have been drilling and applying it to a situation regardless of the context. Some people also do nothing when they finaly have their precious double collar... this one I just can't explain.

There is also nothing wrong with tossing someone on the ground.
If you ask me, it's even better because they 100% can't counter you as opposed to tossing on the side. As said before, try to catch them mid air/off balance. Also, ''Tossing to the side'' doesn't work on some people. I' m a huge guy with very good balance from years of judo. I'll hit the floor because someone cleanly trow me before loosing my balance to the side.

Destroying the arms is nice.
When kicking you don't always have to head hunt. Nice clean kick under a shoulder will destroy a whole arm. My favorite would be to do that enough to get someone worried so much/busy so much that they don't protect the face anymore to transition into spinning back fist/spinning back punch.
Yeah I try to mix it up some but not as much as I should. I do get head and arm control a lot though. But yeah other then a couple tosses from single collar I dont go for anything other then double collar or head and arm.

Back