Muay Thai and Joe Rogan

Is he really rated as good as that? I have no idea tbh, I only follow him cause he's a fellow Aussie. Where does Samart Payakaroon rate? (I only know him because Jeff Fenech beat him in boxing)
No, I was being sarcastic joking that Rogan would be labeling him as such.

A lot of people look at Samart as the GOAT.

No, I was being sarcastic joking that Rogan would be labeling him as such.

A lot of people look at Samart as the GOAT.

Fair enough, I know little of MT other than the Aussies like Stan the Man, Carnage Corbett etc.

I bet Rogan has never seen a fight between two good Thais. I watched a little bit when Duke Roufus was on and they pulled up some highlights of Samart and Saenchai and it seemed like that was the first time he'd ever heard of them.

The guy has a lot on his plate you really can't fault him for not hipstering it up on YouTube Muay Thai fights. He seems really receptive though, I explained to him the whole Thai fight name thing on his message board and he thanked me admitting he didn't know.

The guy has a lot on his plate you really can't fault him for not hipstering it up on YouTube Muay Thai fights. He seems really receptive though, I explained to him the whole Thai fight name thing on his message board and he thanked me admitting he didn't know.

I'm not faulting him for that. You don't need to be a Muay Thai hipster to know of maybe the two greatest ever. Anyone who knows a tiny bit of Muay Thai is aware of them. Like I said, I bet he's never seen one proper fight. He seems knowledgable in most combat sports, but knows nothing about Muay Thai fighters unless they are white guys.

If he knows who Kevin Ross and JWP are, he should know who Samart and Saenchai are. It's like knowing who the best players in the CFL are, but not knowing who Tom Brady or Megatron are.

Are you guys really that confused about standup in the UFC that you need a commentator to explain it to you?

no, but a lot of people in UFC forums never watch any Kickboxing or MT, learn Stand up from Mike and Joe (no offense to those people ) and pretend like they know anything about striking.

I bet Rogan has never seen a fight between two good Thais. I watched a little bit when Duke Roufus was on and they pulled up some highlights of Samart and Saenchai and it seemed like that was the first time he'd ever heard of them.

I think many mma commentator is like that, Joe did watch a lot of Masato and K1 fight CMIIW.

i can't really blame him though, its not really accessible for a guy like them. i myself only been watching elite stadium thai fight recently, and i don't know anyone in there.

If he knows who Kevin Ross and JWP are, he should know who Samart and Saenchai are. It's like knowing who the best players in the CFL are, but not knowing who Tom Brady or Megatron are.

the problem in sports you talking about, the best of the best are getting way more exposure than the guy who are only good in local bases.

while in MT, the best of the best are those Thai who fought in stadium, and they don't have much exposure as guys who fought in let say Australia or America.

He knows Kevin Ross because he watches Lion Fight on TV and JWP because he's always whoring it up on social media. You have to dig a bit to find Samart and Saenchai. They have absolutely no presence in the US.

Last edited:
Kinda crucial to know the sports biggest when commentating a sport where muay thai plays such a big role.

got a link to that?

Kinda crucial to know the sports biggest when commentating a sport where muay thai plays such a big role.
It's certainly a bonus, but I wouldn't call it crucial. All he needs to know about are the fighters that he's commentating for. What relevancy would there be bringing up Saenchai in an Anderson Silva fight?

It's certainly a bonus, but I wouldn't call it crucial. All he needs to know about are the fighters that he's commentating for. What relevancy would there be bringing up Saenchai in an Anderson Silva fight?

That might not be crucial, but knowing some Muay Thai is. It should be a prerequisite for his job, but he reduces everything Muay Thai to the same generic stuff every show. Muay Thai is 1 specific kick and 1 specific clinch position. Every show.

Rogan should stop being a Bill Hicks and Terence McKenna wannabe for a day and familiarize himself with some Muay Thai.

got a link to that?

he knows about the technique and stuff, but he just doesn't know about high level muay thai in thailand.

although i know he is a big fan of K1 and knows a lot about Boxing.

I remember one time on the JRE he said Thailand was an island

That might not be crucial, but knowing some Muay Thai is. It should be a prerequisite for his job, but he reduces everything Muay Thai to the same generic stuff every show. Muay Thai is 1 specific kick and 1 specific clinch position. Every show.
I can agree with that.

wut, joe is a smart man no way he said that.

show me the link ?

Im pretty sure it was the one with Jimmy Smith but it might have been one of the Micheal Schavello ones. They are all on youtube if you want to check.

Not long ago I saw a sherdog thread on stereotypes about Americans. The first one brought up was that they were stupid and the thread asked if it was true. The first response was something like this: "From my experience they are fairly smart besides their terrible knowledge of second languages and geography." When I read that the first person that came to mind was Joe Rogan.

Im pretty sure it was the one with Jimmy Smith but it might have been one of the Micheal Schavello ones. They are all on youtube if you want to check.

Not long ago I saw a sherdog thread on stereotypes about Americans. The first one brought up was that they were stupid and the thread asked if it was true. The first response was something like this: "From my experience they are fairly smart besides their terrible knowledge of second languages and geography." When I read that the first person that came to mind was Joe Rogan.

Hahaha.

Back