Shoop MS PAINT V4 VOTING THREAD <RED THREAD>

7 votes total between the two threads. Not 7 votes per thread. You can change your votes.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You underestimate my ability to draw badly with a pen

<Kpop775>
you know what, I'd be fucking awful if I had to use a pen or pencil.

fuck it's taken me 8 years to get good with a mouse, I ain't starting again!

I'm curious to give this a go. Not sure what you're talking about though exactly... "a tablet without a screen?" Can you link me to one like you got on Amazon.com?

or maybe a link to something you recommend. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money, but if it's in the 2 digits I might give it a go.

Anyone else use a touch screen or drawing pad & have a recommendation? I'm on a Windows desktop. Something I can plug into USB & won't break the bank would be fun to play with. Damn should've thought to add this to my Christmas list. That's all right, it might be Christmas in February too this year!
:p
tenor.gif

01. - Red 03. @dindonker - 92 votes
02. - Blue 04. @HughPhug - 78 votes
03. - Blue 03. @The Clark - 55 votes
04. - Red 12. @MacGregor - 54 votes
05. - Red 07. @Empty Emp - 53 votes
06. - Red 09. @Iron Skin - 46 votes
07. - Blue 11. @Myrddin Wild - 44 votes - tie
07. - Blue 07. @bigwaverider - 44 votes - tie
09. - Red 06. @Sansnom - 35 votes
10. - Blue 02. @FrontNakedChoke - 31 votes - tie
10. - Blue 12. @in the liver - 31 votes - tie
12. - Blue 06. @chill doggie - 28 votes - tie
12. - Red 01. @lostdog000 - 28 votes - tie
12. - Red 02. @Draxton - 28 votes - tie
15. - Blue 09. @Arqueto - 21 votes
16. - Blue 13. @DanAndroid - 19 votes
17. - Red 05. @Ottawaguy - 17 votes - tie
17. - Blue 10. @Medulla Omoplata - 17 votes - tie
19. - Blue 08. @Clippy - 16 votes
20. - Blue 05. @Zebra Cheeks - 11 votes - tie
20. - Red 08. @true_fan - 11 votes - tie
20. - Red 10. @ZOD66 - 11 votes - tie
23. - Blue 01. @Frank McEdgar - 09 votes
24. - Red 13. @Slobodan - 08 votes
25. - Red 11. @JohnMandick - 06 votes - tie
25. - Red 04. @AleYeah - 06 votes - tie
I am anti touchpad because I think it takes away from the spirit of MS paint. It's supposed to wonky and hard to draw. If we allow tablets, we should allow paper hand drawn submissions.

Amazing job lads!

Curious how many of these were done using a tablet setup/stylus........although still awesome, takes away from the concept of MS Paint big time imo.

Should be done with a mouse. If #3 was done with a mouse, just wow!

I'm curious to give this a go. Not sure what you're talking about though exactly... "a tablet without a screen?" Can you link me to one like you got on Amazon.com?

or maybe a link to something you recommend. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money, but if it's in the 2 digits I might give it a go.

Anyone else use a touch screen or drawing pad & have a recommendation? I'm on a Windows desktop. Something I can plug into USB & won't break the bank would be fun to play with. Damn should've thought to add this to my Christmas list. That's all right, it might be Christmas in February too this year!
:p
tenor.gif

01. - Red 03. @dindonker - 92 votes
02. - Blue 04. @HughPhug - 78 votes
03. - Blue 03. @The Clark - 55 votes
04. - Red 12. @MacGregor - 54 votes
05. - Red 07. @Empty Emp - 53 votes
06. - Red 09. @Iron Skin - 46 votes
07. - Blue 11. @Myrddin Wild - 44 votes - tie
07. - Blue 07. @bigwaverider - 44 votes - tie
09. - Red 06. @Sansnom - 35 votes
10. - Blue 02. @FrontNakedChoke - 31 votes - tie
10. - Blue 12. @in the liver - 31 votes - tie
12. - Blue 06. @chill doggie - 28 votes - tie
12. - Red 01. @lostdog000 - 28 votes - tie
12. - Red 02. @Draxton - 28 votes - tie
15. - Blue 09. @Arqueto - 21 votes
16. - Blue 13. @DanAndroid - 19 votes
17. - Red 05. @Ottawaguy - 17 votes - tie
17. - Blue 10. @Medulla Omoplata - 17 votes - tie
19. - Blue 08. @Clippy - 16 votes
20. - Blue 05. @Zebra Cheeks - 11 votes - tie
20. - Red 08. @true_fan - 11 votes - tie
20. - Red 10. @ZOD66 - 11 votes - tie
23. - Blue 01. @Frank McEdgar - 09 votes
24. - Red 13. @Slobodan - 08 votes
25. - Red 11. @JohnMandick - 06 votes - tie
25. - Red 04. @AleYeah - 06 votes - tie

Not the one i use but i'd recommend something like Wacom CTL4100 Intuos or Wacom One
if you are planning to use it for basic shooping or as a mouse substitute. it's in your price range (both the small & medium).
i bought mine (Intuos 4 M) about 6 years ago & it's still like brand new even after the years of intense usage. The ones made by Wacom are the best & they are also quite durable. But they are not the only brand so if you want a cheaper alternative you can definitely find it.

Last edited:
Okay, so this must be what @dindonker meant when he said "a tablet without a screen?"

I think @Arqueto is keen to whack em too.

so you draw down there, but you see it on your monitor. That's seems trickier than actually having a screen that you can see the image of what you're drawing on. Is it pretty tricky or do you get used to it?

Did you do your shoop this time with it?

C79ZWe9.png

You see the 'mouse' cursor if you move pen the close to the tablet. The tablet surface has the same proportion of a regular monitor screen, and simulates the screen. I mean, not like a touch pad, that only capture the drag motion, if you draw something in the left side of the tablet surface, it will appear in the left side of the screen.

I am anti touchpad because I think it takes away from the spirit of MS paint. It's supposed to wonky and hard to draw. If we allow tablets, we should allow paper hand drawn submissions.
I see what you're saying, but there was a rool defined in the last NGS when someone asked if they could submit a hand drawn submission. Anything hand drawn has to be drawn through a digital medium.

also, people have been using tablets & (smaller tablets that we refer to as) cell phones ever since these contests started. There's at least 3 that I know of & probably more in this contest alone. Make no mistake that even with a $500 pro drawing tablet, you ain't gonna put out a work of art like @dindonker without some legit drawing skills as well as creativity. As he mentioned... he could do that with a mouse too, it would just take longer.

It's supposed to wonky

this is a matter of opinion that I don't agree with, but that said, anyone can hold a contest... & if that's what you want, then find a way to regulate it & knock yourself out.

Full disclosure, I enjoy the more symmetrical paints where the artist at least attempts to make it look like the person's face over the more abstract & "wonky" style of the old school stuff you're referring to. So I got no problem with people using whatever tools are necessary to make their art be the best it can be.

Okay, so this must be what @dindonker meant when he said "a tablet without a screen?"

I think @Arqueto is keen to whack em too.

so you draw down there, but you see it on your monitor. That's seems trickier than actually having a screen that you can see the image of what you're drawing on. Is it pretty tricky or do you get used to it?

Did you do your shoop this time with it?

C79ZWe9.png
Yes i did. And it's not that tricky. I guess most people would prefer the screen versions. But as someone who's tried the both i dig the other one. It's actually much more immersive for me compared to directly drawing on a hard glass surface. Your hands do their job down there out of sight & after a while you totally forget about them and become one with the screen. And it starts to feel like you are directly drawing with your mind.

Not the one i use but i'd recommend something like these if you are planning to use it for basic shooping or as a mouse substitute. it's in your price range (both the small & medium).

i bought mine (Intuos 4 M) about 6 years ago & it's still like brand new even after the years of intense usage. The ones made by Wacom are the best & they are also quite durable. But they are not the only brand so if you want a cheaper alternative you can definitely find it.

Thanx bro. Those links aren't working for me though. I'm in the states & sometime amazon links that are foreign to the states don't work for me. Looks like you attached them as media files too, can you just post a direct link? Maybe that would help.

after a while you totally forget about them and become one with the screen. And it starts to feel like you are directly drawing with your mind.

Oh hell yeah. You're talking my language now brother~

gAlP4wi.jpg

Amazing job lads!

Curious how many of these were done using a tablet setup/stylus........although still awesome, takes away from the concept of MS Paint big time imo.

Should be done with a mouse. If #3 was done with a mouse, just wow!
@dindoker was red3... & was done on a sketchpad, but he said he could've done it with a mouse too... it just would've taken longer. We all know our Boiy @MacGregor usez a cell phone, which is basically a smaller drawing pad.

OWfttRK.png

I did mine on a desktop with a mouse... & it took 15 hours or more

v1BigON.png

but I can imagine I would've probably done about the same quality on a sketchpad, but it maybe wouldn't take as long though. I don't think a sketch pad is some magic wand that makes you a great artist. It's just a tool to help you move a little faster imo.

I said this to someone earlier. I don't personally agree with this idea that MS paints should be "wonky" & weird looking. I actually enjoy the symmetrical ones that actually resemble who they're trying to resemble. The more time & care that I can see & the more artistic expression the better imo. That's not to say I'm a hater of the more "primitive" paints (for lack of better words) they have their charm as well, but I almost alwayz gravitate to the more symmetrical & precision looking ones.

@dindoker was red3... & was done on a sketchpad, but he said he could've done it with a mouse too... it just would've taken longer. We all know our Boiy @MacGregor usez a cell phone, which is basically a smaller drawing pad.

OWfttRK.png

I did mine on a desktop with a mouse... & it took 15 hours or more

v1BigON.png

but I can imagine I would've probably done about the same quality on a sketchpad, but it maybe wouldn't take as long though. I don't think a sketch pad is some magic wand that makes you a great artist. It's just a tool to help you move a little faster imo.

I said this to someone earlier. I don't personally agree with this idea that MS paints should be "wonky" & weird looking. I actually enjoy the symmetrical ones that actually resemble who they're trying to resemble. The more time & care that I can see & the more artistic expression the better imo. That's not to say I'm a hater of the more "primitive" paints (for lack of better words) they have their charm as well, but I almost alwayz gravitate to the more symmetrical & precision looking ones.
I get where you're coming from and you make some fair points, however why not just make it a pen and paper/real paint upload contest?

The MS Paint factor loses some allure when you're using high end tools to make it easier. Just my 2 cents.

Also, Paint don't has smoothing/stabilization like Photoshop, Manga Studio, Paint Tool Sai and etc...

I have a Wacom Intuos small tablet and was about to upgrade to the medium pro version but I'm going to hold off now as I think I'm going to get a Wacom Cintiq pro later in the year the Cintiq range is the monitor version:

wacom_cintiq_pro_24_wadtk24208d0e44995456bc0c91f38b4fe78cb3f1e03d0856.jpg

I think the normal Intuos tablet is fine for drawing and shooping and will probably be what you're looking for to see if they are for you.

They do take a little getting used to at first but once you get going they are very good for certain things I still use the mouse a lot too though when using PS and in Paint, for my shoop from this round I used the mouse for everything other than sketching Jones at the start.

You can get cheaper versions of the Wacom stuff but I did a lot of research as I was about to upgrade and the reviews which aren't sponsored basically all recommend the Wacom ones, you can get the Intuos ones new for a fairly decent price and if you are just wanting to try one out without spending too much you can get them second hand on e-bay fairly cheap as once you get used to them and you get into drawing and digital painting people upgrade to a one with better pressure sensitivity so you see the entry-level ones that are in good condition fairly often for good prices on e-bay.

Good looking out bro. yeah, that quality will be perfect for all I'm wanting to do. As long as it's responsive enough to where I can become one with the paint (as @dindonker said)

I'm not sure if we've "penned out" this rool yet or not, but behind the scenes discussions are keen to make a rool against using "pressure sensitive" features. So if someone had that on their sketch pad, they can feel free to use it, but they'd have to turn off that function for the competitionz. it would stick out very obvious, so it wouldn't be that hard to regulate. I don't even think the MS Paint software is compatable with that feature... but I'm not sure about the mac... & we're still pretty up in the air about cell phones atm too.

If you've done the research & have some links, I'd appreciate those links... or since you're across the pond from me, maybe just the specific model numbers that you found to be the best for the price range. I wouldn't mind spending a hundy if it was better than the half a hundy version... if that makes sense. I'm definitely not trying to go much more over a hundy though. That's kind of where I'm at.

Also, Paint don't has smoothing/stabilization like Photoshop, Manga Studio, Paint Tool Sai and etc...
Yeah, I agree that going outside of the primitive program opens a whole new world. I think the sketch pad discussion is different though, because you can still do the same things with a mouse... it just takes longer.

Photo shop has a lot of features that would absolutely change the nature of these competitionz. @Brother Arq has done some absolute masterpieces in photo shop using blending & layering techniques... but he has to put the cuffs on when using MS Paint, because it's a single layer program with very limited blending tools (spray can & oil paint brush for example)

Arq's MS Paint stuff is great work too, but you'd never even recognize it was the same artist if you put his Photoshop drawings next to his MS Paint art.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if we've "penned out" this rool yet or not, but behind the scenes discussions are keen to make a rool against using "pressure sensitive" features. So if someone had that on their sketch pad, they can feel free to use it, but they'd have to turn off that function for the competitionz. it would stick out very obvious, so it wouldn't be that hard to regulate. I don't even think the MS Paint software is compatable with that feature... but I'm not sure about the mac... & we're still pretty up in the air about cell phones atm too.

MS Paint doesn't support pressure sensitivity. I've never looked into the Mac version so I have no idea if it does or doesn't.

I've been using one for a while now and for anyone that thinks they're some huge advantage in Paint I really don't agree with that, it will speed up the workflow that I do agree with but you still have to draw and there are people here pulling off stuff with just as good technique with the mouse that is possible with the pen.

They're not some miracle stick that you just wave and a perfect drawing appears, it most definitely will give you a speed advantage though.

I would go with the Wacom Intuos they're really good they have some shortcut buttons which can be programmed to whatever keyboard shortcuts you use the most and you can set them up for multiple programs if you're not bothered about having a cable connected to your PC then go for the one without Bluetooth as you can save yourself a few bucks.

I would recommend going for the medium-sized one (I bought a small) though as you will have more control on larger monitors and more fluent strokes are easier to achieve with a bit more surface area.

The difference between free-handing lines in MS Paint using a mouse vs a tablet is pretty distinct in my opinion. While I agree it's not making your idea/final output inherently better, it is enough of a difference that makes the competition unfair to a degree. Again, just my two cents....not taking anything away from anybody. Amazing concepts, amazing execution!

Yeah, I agree that going outside of the primitive program opens a whole new world. I think the sketch pad discussion is different though, because you can still do the same things with a mouse... it just takes longer.

Photo shop has a lot of features that would absolutely change the nature of these competitionz. @Brother Arq has done some absolute masterpieces in photo shop using blending & layering techniques... but he has to put the cuffs on when using MS Paint, because it's a single layer program with very limited blending tools (spray can & oil paint brush for example)

Arq's MS Paint stuff is great work too, but you'd never even recognize it was the same artist if you put his Photoshop drawings next to his MS Paint art.

I like the cartoony stuff I can make in Paint and I just never use Paint either I only ever open it when this contest comes around and I think I have only ever made 4 things in it including this rounds entry. I have seen some pro artists that work exclusively in Paint and their stuff is ridiculous so it's definitely possible to get a painterly look but I can't imagine the amount of time they must have put into Paint to get that good.

I like to paint in PS and spend as much of my free time as possible learning how to draw and digital paint in that. I just don't have the motivation to put the amount of work it takes to get really good with Paint that's why I respect the hell out of the Paint OG's they make awesome stuff in a program that is very frustrating to use at times.

I get where you're coming from and you make some fair points, however why not just make it a pen and paper/real paint upload contest?

The MS Paint factor loses some allure when you're using high end tools to make it easier. Just my 2 cents.

I think this difference of opinion between me & you here is shared by many. There's a crowd that loves those old style ones that took 15 min. tops. There's nothing wrong with that & I agree that they have their charm, but there's also another group that enjoys the more symmetrical epic paints.

I can appreciate your input as an observer & fan, but I haven't seen one of your paints yet... & that's fine, but my point is that you're not speaking from a hands on pov. Even I'm not, because I don't own a sketch pad. The people who own these sketch pads though, are all saying that it's not that much of an advantage other than speed.

Pressure sensitivity not being legal takes a huge advantage away from those higher end tools. The only advantage you have is that you can whip it out quicker.

Now anyone is welcome to get that OG thread active again if you want to see the OG style stuff. Also, anyone can hold a contest & make their own roolz. (try & not overlap one of rider's contests) Maybe it can be articulated that we just want these OG style shoops only. maybe even a timed contest where everyone agrees on a time to receive a topic... & then has 30 min. to submit. lol... I dunno. :p I could get into something like that.

I think this difference of opinion between me & you here is shared by many. There's a crowd that loves those old style ones that took 15 min. tops. There's nothing wrong with that & I agree that they have their charm, but there's also another group that enjoys the more symmetrical epic paints.

I can appreciate your input as an observer & fan, but I haven't seen one of your paints yet... & that's fine, but my point is that you're not speaking from a hands on pov. Even I'm not, because I don't own a sketch pad. The people who own these sketch pads though, are all saying that it's not that much of an advantage other than speed.

Pressure sensitivity not being legal takes a huge advantage away from those higher end tools. The only advantage you have is that you can whip it out quicker.

Now anyone is welcome to get that OG thread active again if you want to see the OG style stuff. Also, anyone can hold a contest & make their own roolz if it can be articulated that we just want these OG style shoops only. (try & not overlap one of rider's contests) maybe even a timed contest where everyone agrees on a time to receive a topic... & then has 30 min. to submit. lol... I dunno. :p I could get into something like that.
I'm not here to argue.....I've used MS Paint for 30+ years and have used tablet equipment. I know the advantages of the equipment. You're talking big differences in speed, accuracy and fluidity.

My point has nothing to do with the output look (ie ghetto vs refined)........you can find mouse made masterpieces than don't even look like they came out of Paint.

All I'm saying is that this particular competition lends itself to some big gaps in what most would consider an even playing field.......whereas the typical GIF and static shoop comps can be done in a myriad of software that isn't directly related to input method.

But as I didn't take part, I'll digress.

Back