• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Movies I Haven't Seen But Gonna See Now! Movie #38 - The Warriors

Hey @Heart Break Kid

This is a cool idea for a thread and just a good thing to do. There’s plenty of movies that I feel I should have gotten around to at some point but never did so I admire the goal.

I just crossed one off the list last night. While I’d seen plenty of scenes from Coming to America in my youth, I never saw it all through. Noticed it right away on Prime, I’m sure because they are in hype mode for the sequel and gave it a watch.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. One thing I think is cool about some big comedies from that era is that they embed the gags organically in the narrative. It doesn't feel like the story takes a backseat to the jokes. In the case of this particular film, the likability of the lead characters helped sell the movie so that you could appreciate stretches of the film that were dealing with the dynamics of their relationship rather than just expecting to be inundated with one-liners or zany humor every few minutes. Landis tended to be really good at that as a filmmaker. Some of his best films- The Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London, Coming to America- have a lot of comedic elements in there (and yes, of course, two of them are outright comedies while one is a horror film that has funny moments) are really entertaining in the way that they fuse the humor with the more serious elements such as the romance in Coming to America or the music sequences in The Blues Brothers.

Eddie and Arsenio were both hilarious. The barbershop scenes were really the extent of what I recalled from when I was a kid watching so it was cool to see the rest of it. Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche cameo really got me lol.

This is a cool idea for a thread and just a good thing to do. There’s plenty of movies that I feel I should have gotten around to at some point but never did

Yep I'm in the same boat. Some movies were ruined for me like Braveheart, if I know the ending then it sort of ruins the rest of the film for me. However there are a lot of films people have recommended on here that I really want to check out and now I'm finally going to get around to doing it. I do really like movies but I tend to watch tv shows a lot more,maybe because they range anywhere from 20-60 mins.

I also want to do a thread for movies I've seen once a long time ago and want to watch again, like The Shining.

Hey @Heart Break Kid

This is a cool idea for a thread and just a good thing to do. There’s plenty of movies that I feel I should have gotten around to at some point but never did so I admire the goal.

I just crossed one off the list last night. While I’d seen plenty of scenes from Coming to America in my youth, I never saw it all through. Noticed it right away on Prime, I’m sure because they are in hype mode for the sequel and gave it a watch.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. One thing I think is cool about some big comedies from that era is that they embed the gags organically in the narrative. It doesn't feel like the story takes a backseat to the jokes. In the case of this particular film, the likability of the lead characters helped sell the movie so that you could appreciate stretches of the film that were dealing with the dynamics of their relationship rather than just expecting to be inundated with one-liners or zany humor every few minutes. Landis tended to be really good at that as a filmmaker. Some of his best films- The Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London, Coming to America- have a lot of comedic elements in there (and yes, of course, two of them are outright comedies while one is a horror film that has funny moments) are really entertaining in the way that they fuse the humor with the more serious elements such as the romance in Coming to America or the music sequences in The Blues Brothers.

Eddie and Arsenio were both hilarious. The barbershop scenes were really the extent of what I recalled from when I was a kid watching so it was cool to see the rest of it. Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche cameo really got me lol.
I also watched this within the last year or so, good movie. Also have you seen trading places and 48 hours?

As a kid I saw another 48 hrs on tv a buncha times but only saw the original recently, it was good. I liked how it wasnt PC at all

I also watched this within the last year or so, good movie. Also have you seen trading places and 48 hours?

I have seen Trading Places multiple times and really enjoy it.

48 Hours is another one like Coming to America where I saw a lot of scenes out of sequence from either watching parts at friends' houses or just on cable but I've definitely never watched all through either. Will have to make that one a priority. I know that it is very highly regarded.

Back