Movies Movie News and Notes

Ant-Man and the Wasp Actress Hannah John-Kamen to Star in Millenium's Sword and Sorcery Film RED SONJA

Hannah-John-Kamen-Red-Sonja-Getty-Split-H-2021-.jpg

Hannah John-Kamen, who starred as a villain in Ant-Man and the Wasp and was a lead in series Brave New World, will star in Millennium’s long-gestating sword and sorcery feature.

Joey Soloway is directing the project and co-wrote the script with Tasha Huo, the screenwriter who is showrunning and executive producing the upcoming animated Tomb Raider series for Netflix and Legendary.

“Hannah is a very talented actress who we’ve been following for years and she IS Red Sonja,” said Soloway in a statement. “Her range, sensibilities and strength are all qualities we have been looking for and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this journey together.”

Sonya was created by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith for Marvel Comics’ Conan the Barbarian comic in the early 1970s and was an amalgam of several characters from Conan creator Robert E. Howard. The character, fiery and strong enough to go toe-to-toe with Conan while refusing his advances, proved popular enough to get her own book, continuing to this day even as the Howard and Conan licenses have moved through several companies. Millennium is saying their movie is based on the comic published by Dynamite Entertainment.

The move is a big opportunity for John-Kamen, who has appeared in the Netflix series The Stranger, Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One, and Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander but will now find herself toplining an ambitious feature and portraying a recognizable pop culture figure

The actress, who has garnered acclaim for her work across television, film and stage, recently wrapped production on Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...h-john-kamen-movie-casting-exclusive-4174678/

Would have liked someone taller, but she'll do fine. She first came to my attention in Killjoys, and based on that I think she will be a fine Red Sonja.

However, the wig situation will make or break this movie. I hope she takes the plunge and simply dyes it.

Would have liked someone taller, but she'll do fine. She first came to my attention in Killjoys, and based on that I think she will be a fine Red Sonja.

However, the wig situation will make or break this movie. I hope she takes the plunge and simply dyes it.
Not a fan of the casting. Even at the age of 39, Bridget Regan (Legend of the Seeker, Agent Carter) would still be a better choice as Red Sonja than Hannah John-Kamen.

CZXJA4WVIAASAcC.jpg

Not a fan of the casting. Even at the age of 39, Bridget Regan (Legend of the Seeker, Agent Carter) would still be a better choice as Red Sonja than Hannah John-Kamen.

CZXJA4WVIAASAcC.jpg

I don't say you're wrong, but that bit right there was an insurmountable obstacle. There's no chance in hell Hollywood is gonna cast someone who's gonna be 40 years old when shooting starts t lead a possible franchise.

Not a woman-led one at least.

Final Trailer for Director John Krasinski's A QUIET PLACE PART II Starring Emily Blunt

Following the deadly events at home, the Abbott family (Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, Noah Jupe) must now face the terrors of the outside world as they continue their fight for survival in silence. Forced to venture into the unknown, they quickly realize that the creatures that hunt by sound are not the only threats that lurk beyond the sand path.

Official Trailer for David Lowery's THE GREEN KNIGHT Starring Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander

From director David Lowery and starring Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, and Joel Edgerton. The Green Knight – In Theaters July 30.

First Official Images from SNAKE EYES: G.I. JOE ORIGINS, First Look at Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Scarlett and the Baroness

As shown in EW's exclusive first-look photos, Henry Golding stars as the lead of Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins, which delves into the beginnings of this mysterious figure. "It was one of the reasons why we picked the backstory [of] 'How did he become Snake Eyes?'" producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura mentions. "It allows him to talk, which was very helpful."

It's also beneficial to see Golding outside the Snake Eyes helmet, which is typically always fixed on the character's head. Always. But you just don't hide the silver-screen good looks of the 34-year-old Crazy Rich Asians star behind a feature-less mask.

Directed by Robert Schwentke and set to premiere in theaters (yes, theaters) this July 23, the film sees the man who will eventually become Snake Eyes as a scarred individual. Without getting into too many details, di Bonaventura says, "His life has now been completely and utterly affected by this scar." It's in this state, as he's "driven by the wrong motivations," where he's taken under the wing of Tommy (Warrior's Andrew Koji), better known to Joe fans as Storm Shadow, a member of the Arashikage ninja clan.

Facing three trials in order to be inducted into the clan will also see Snake cross paths with Akiko, played by Haruka Abe (Disney's live-action Cruella), whom Golding calls "phenomenal in this film" and will "really pop."

Golding did the work. He mentions five-hour sessions of choreography every day, followed by an hour and a half of one-on-one training, and then "a solid two-and-a-half hours of script work." That wasn't an issue. When he was first in talks for the role, it was important to him that they didn't make "a cookie-cutter movie." "Myself and Robert, we went for lunch and I was like, 'It has to be different. It has to feel fresh,'" he recalls.

After making movies like RED, Allegiant, and The Captain, Schwentke took an approach to Snake Eyes that paid homage to his love of Japanese samurai movies, especially chanbara (sword-fighting films). "We had one green screen set and the rest was all practical," Golding says. "I think the film really has this link with martial arts."

Production brought in Kenji Tanigaki, a stunt coordinator and director on movies like Legend of Seven Monks and Enter the Fat Dragon. And, of course, some of the cast members, including international martial arts megastar Iko Uwais (The Raid, Wu Assassins) as Hard Master, also know how to execute physical feats. (Uwais in Snake Eyes "isn't a huge role," says di Bonaventura, but he's "so much fun.")

Samara Weaving (Ready or Not, Bill & Ted Face the Music) appears in the film as Scarlett, one of the original members of the G.I. Joe team. Actress Rachel Nichols once played the character in the Rise of Cobra film. Now, Weaving's iteration will be drawn into Snake's story after he "gets his nose into something," di Bonaventura explains, which then also brings in The Baroness.

https://ew.com/movies/snake-eyes-fi...twitter.com&utm_term=609d4d40ef644500012b7c6a

Watch the First 15 Minutes of Zack Snyder's ARMY OF THE DEAD

Tom Cruise Celebrates Top Gun Day with New Behind-the-Scenes Photo; New Images from TOP GUN: MAVERICK from Empire

E1R46pNX0AUJD0_

E1B0t-4XoAMVjtI

Eyx16uPXMAQ6b7G

EyyQ65uW8AYDMSX

First Official Trailer for SNAKE EYES: G.I. JOE ORIGINS Starring Henry Golding

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins stars Henry Golding as Snake Eyes, a tenacious loner who is welcomed into an ancient Japanese clan called the Arashikage after saving the life of their heir apparent. Upon arrival in Japan, the Arashikage teach Snake Eyes the ways of the ninja warrior while also providing something he’s been longing for: a home. But, when secrets from his past are revealed, Snake Eyes’ honor and allegiance will be tested – even if that means losing the trust of those closest to him.

Based on the iconic G.I. Joe character, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins also stars Andrew Koji as Storm Shadow, Úrsula Corberó as The Baroness, Samara Weaving as Scarlett, Haruka Abe as Akiko, Tahehiro Hira as Kenta and Iko Uwais as Hard Master. Only in theatres July 23.

Back